Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

looking for advice on UVC light for custom Chamber

More
02 Aug 2013 13:29 - 02 Aug 2013 13:38 #1 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Hey guys,

Just a few questions on it. I'm building a UVC chamber into my sump but i have some points i'm not to sure on.

What I'm doing
First off i want a submersible light, not a pump.

All water flowing into my chamber should have have access to this light.
The chamber is 65mm x 250mm x 300mm (width, height, dept) and covered on the inside in black latex paint.

So i'm thinking a 13 watt should do fine. The problem is i cant find a submersible UVC from a respected retailers under 200...

So my questions are,

Any issues with latex paint on the inside of a tank? (i'm pretty sure the answer is "no").

Does anyone know where i can get a submersible UVC light for under 50, or will i have to get a replacement bulb on eBay and wire it up the the appropriate watt ballast, and stick it in a waterproof container?

And i'm looking at getting a lens from a UVC protected sun-glasses to stick to the inside of the chamber to see if the bulb is still working - any hazard issues with this.

I'm also debating moving the active charcoal filter after of the UVC chamber so i don't get bacteria clogging up the charcoal pores. (or am i wasting my time as it will get clogged up anyway?) Or move it into the chamber??

Sump
[img]http://www.stephen-walsh.com/misc_hosting_files/fish/image 3.jpg[/img]

UVC Chamber
[img]http://www.stephen-walsh.com/misc_hosting_files/fish/image 4.jpg[/img]
Last edit: 02 Aug 2013 13:38 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2013 16:05 #2 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
A TMC vectron V2 should cost about €125 15w bulb. You could end up spending close to that on a self build.
I am sure someone on here should have a second hand one somewhere. For use in the sump, you would need a pump, but you could just link it to the return pump from the sump. Hose fitting will suit the pipe you have for the Eheim Compact 3000
Acrylic Latex Paint is supposed to be fish safe, not tried it myself, so I can't say for sure. In fact acrylic craft paint is also supposed to be fish safe, provided it states 100% acrylic on the label.
You can get a 15w bulb on amazon or eBay for about €12/£10 * postage.
No need for a lens on the unit, most flow through housings emit a small glow through the tubing. Easy to see if its working in dim or no light.
Some floss or sponge will keep the carbon free of solids, and the UV will keep it fairly free of bacteria but there will be a build up over time.
You could use Phosguard and Purigen (recharges up to 7 times) instead of Carbon,or with the carbon, or Seachem SeaGel, a mix of carbon and Phosguard.

More
02 Aug 2013 20:05 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Forgot to add this, JBL AquaCristal UV-C 11W are about €55

More
02 Aug 2013 21:10 #4 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
thanks pete,

had a look at the AquaCristal UV-C 11W, but they look like 155.
Was hoping not to attach an in-line uvc tube to the return pump as it would slow the return rate. This is why i'm trying to go down the chamber root. :)

The bulbs are easy to get but the uv ballasts are very tricky to find :(.

As you said, I might jsut try find a second hand uvc setup and remove the ballast and lightand put it into the chamber. (and of couse build a water tight seal around it, like so

[img]http://www.stephen-walsh.com/misc_hosting_files/fish/chamber 2.jpg[/img]

More
02 Aug 2013 21:27 - 02 Aug 2013 21:30 #5 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
maybe this?

www.ebay.ie/itm/Pond-Aquarium-UV-Light-S...h-Tank-/181157420168

some reason the link above is trying to do something funky, details below,

ebay number : 181157420168
ebay title : Pond / Aquarium UV Light Steriliser - Ultra Violet Clarifier - Koi Fish Tank
ebay seller : allpondsolutions1

should fit nicely

These model come with an external ballast.

Features

Three Stepped Hosetails Supplied
Separate Ground-glass Viewport Included to Replace a Hosetail if One-in / One-out use Required
Wall Mounting Bracket Attached to the UV Light complete with Screws
Easy Unscrew-release for Bulb / Quartz Glass Maintenance
Suitable for Marine and Freshwater

Specifications

CUV-118
Power: 18W
Suitable for Aquarium Sizes up to 340 Litres
Suitable for Pond up to 12000 Litres
Through Flow Sterilisation at 2500 L/H
Length of UV Case 32cm
UV Bulb Included (1 x 18w)
Max Pressure(bar) 0.3 90 %
Power Cable 5m Length
Inlet & Outlet Adapter 0.75", 1", 1.25", 1.5" / 19mm, 25mm, 32mm, 38mm
Voltage: 220-240V
Free 12 Month Warranty
Last edit: 02 Aug 2013 21:30 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
02 Aug 2013 23:36 #6 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Seen it at full retail about €125, saw it on adverts for €55
The TMC would be stronger, and would not slow the flow significantly.
ebay title : Pond / Aquarium UV Light Steriliser - Ultra Violet Clarifier - Koi Fish Tank is £65 €80 for the 18w. It's a Chinese UV unit, so I am sure you will find the same model under different brand names on eBay and different prices too! Again it won't restrict the flow too much.
There is a complete UV unit that will fit in your sump chamber. I have seen some used in internal filters with built in UV.
Here is an option if you don't want to reduce flow.

Have a look at this link. Might help
www.uvsterilizerreview.com/2009/12/uv-st...s-equipment.html?m=1
Attachments:

More
03 Aug 2013 16:01 #7 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
thanks pete,

after reading more into this, i can see that the market is flooded with knock-offs.
I've taken your advice and elected to go for a TMC Vecton (if i can find one cheap or second hand)

I'll re-design the sump once i get my hands on one and can see whats its like in real life :)

Steve

More
03 Aug 2013 16:28 #8 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Will try a few trade contacts and I will get back to you with a couple of prices

More
03 Aug 2013 20:31 #9 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
thanks pete,

no rush, have my eye on one or two, on a few second hand sites,
if it doesnt pan out i'll give you a shout :)

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds