Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Seneye Aquarium Monitor

More
03 Oct 2012 00:13 #1 by danny25 (David Kay)
Has anybody any knowledge of the above - are they are any good - are they worth the money?
www.seneye.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2012 06:56 #2 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Looks like a cool piece of kit. I would be interested in knowing how accurate the PH and free ammonia is over time. As far as i know PH monitors need to be calibrated to keep them accurate. Also would be interested in how well they work after a fer weeks with a build up of slime, algae and fish waste. There are some reviews on youtube you should check out.

Stephen.

More
03 Oct 2012 07:17 #3 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Just did some more reading on this. You have to replace the chip every 4 weeks if you want to keep reading PH and free ammonia. Its 21 euro for 3 months so thats 7 euro per month. Not too bad i guess.

Review:

Stephen.

More
16 Oct 2012 10:22 #4 by skk123 (shaun)
i have one nice pieace of kit sent me a text hen me heater broke, i was away for 2 weeks and sent me a text to say the ammoina went up and avised to do a water change

More
16 Oct 2012 13:04 #5 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Hey skk123,

Which one did you get? The home or the reef? Im think about getting the home one dont think its worth the extra 50 yoyo just for the LUX, PAR and KELVIN readings.

Stephen.

More
17 Oct 2012 02:06 #6 by skk123 (shaun)
i have the reef one it was an offer as the same price as the home one at aquatics live last November

More
05 Jan 2013 11:16 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I was looking at giving one of these pieces of kit a test drive, but a few things strke me initially, and maybe those who have bought this can give some 'opened box' insight:

1. I think that measuring pH below 6.4 would be useful....does it measure below that or simply go into alarm mode?

2. The light meter.....does the gadget need to be immersed in water for these to work? They would have a usefulness to me for use in non-aquatic systems.

3.Why no nitrate/nitrite test? (that is for the manufacturers to answer).

4. Being tied to someone elses website.....I don't like that idea, I don't need sms messages, but I want the raw data to analyse on my stand-alone PC. Does this device show your analysis without being connected to the internet...ie using on a stand-alone computer?

Other than that, the principle of contant monitoring of ammonia would cost a packet of using normal test kits. I believe that all reading s should be in at least triplicate anyway and very frequent.....that is very time consuming and expensive with wet-lab kits, but at 70 euro this piece of kit works out a lot cheaper.

ian
ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
05 Jan 2013 13:32 #8 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I was considering one also looks like very good value but the lack of nitrate test put me off. I got the impression that it could be connected to a PC by USB. Maybe someone who has one could confirm.

At the price if it connects to PC it may be worth it as it would pay for itself pretty quickly instead of getting wet kits.

Are people who have run one for a while still happy with it?

Regards
Dec

More
05 Jan 2013 13:45 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I looked at Seneye's website......it is a totally crap website that seems to be built by computer nerds.
If that is the first impression, then I do sometimes wonder if the product itself has a rigomral surrounding it.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
05 Jan 2013 14:15 #10 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So it looks like you can get the PC software from the Seneye site and maybe not bother to upload your data just use the PC software they provide.

Hmmm I wonder if the software supports multiple devices I'm sure there are lots of people with more than one tank to monitor

I must confess to being a bit of a nerd myself but I see what you mean about the site it is not very fishy

More
05 Jan 2013 14:19 #11 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
OH the nerd in me really wants one now DOH!

It's down the shopping list a bit though need an external filter (or two) first

More
08 Jan 2013 21:49 #12 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Hey guys,

I got one of these about 3 weeks ago and i have to say i am very happy with it. You can connect it to your pc/laptop and use the downloaded software. You dont have to upload the data to the seneye websit you can just use the on screen readout but you wont get a trend or graph and it wont text you if there is a problem. I leave it pluged into a usb power plug and it logs the data, when you plug it into your pc/laptop it will upload all the saved data so you can see the trend.

Stephen.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds