Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

In the event of a power cut!!!

More
12 Jan 2013 21:55 #1 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Ok so this is an idea thats been playing around in my head since ive started fish keeping.

What are the tricks, the procedures, the know hows in the event of a power cut. Im talking no house heating, filter gone, aerator gone.

How do you keep your fish alive?

Id love to hear your ideas and experiences and general knowledge!

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2013 22:21 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I know a lad with a fairly large marine setup that has a couple of backup UPS units setup
Good for 2-3 hrs running until the power comes back on again

More
13 Jan 2013 01:44 #3 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
Thankfully power cuts don't last as long as they did a few years ago,but the last time I had one I just covered the tank with a duvet to keep heat in, as it happened on a particularly cold night. I wouldn't panic over the filter or aeration being off for a couple of hours and I would do a water change once the power was restored.
if the power was going to be off for a longer length of time. I would look to a retailer in another area with a spare tank to hold the fish. I don't keep Marines but I would imagine a power outage to be a major headache for Salties :unsure:

More
13 Jan 2013 10:45 #4 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Since i have had Marines, i have being luck enough as not to have a power cut yet.

But when i was keeping fresh water i did and what i done to over come it was i added a battery power air pump to the tank and the to keep them Temp up i added hot water to water bottles and left them in the tank to keep on top of that and then if needs be i would keep changing the hot water in the bottles when it goes cold.

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
13 Jan 2013 11:37 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
For anyone who is old enough to ever hear of the very long power cuts we had in the UK in the 70s, it was a bit of a nightmare even when we were told when the power cuts would happen.

If there is a scheduled power-out then there are a few prep things to do in advance: a good partial water change, and don't feed the day before.
The filters should be given a good cleaning (ie remove all excess gung from media and piping etc).

Also a good time to have the emergency kit of zeolites to remove ammonia etc.

If the power-cuts are not scheduled then obviously you have no prep time.

The temperature on large tanks will take a long time to cool down....but the rate of cooling and final temp will also depend upon the room temp.
Square tanks, by the way, will cool slower than an equivalent volume tank oblong tank.

Insulating material (expanded polystyrene, duvets, blankets etc) should be used if the external temp is low and either the tank is small or the power will be off for a long time.

the temp will drop, but so long as it is slow, many fish will cope with the lowered temp for a while.

Now, filtration/aeration is the big problem. But really a tank should be stocked to the level of not having a filter (for cases of power-cuts). But, I doubt many follow that rule :)

Again, ammonia adsorbing zeolite can help here.

Battery powered air-pumps?.....do not need to be used constinuously, but would be a problem if you have loads of tanks.
I used bicycle types in the 70s.....not fun, but we had very long power-cuts over weeks and weeks on end.!!

Keep your fingers crossed, and then you have the next problem to deal with......after the power comes back on...????

You may not know how long the power will be off, but maybe it is best to prepare the power filters as soon as the power goes off.

Un-plug all power filters (especially externals) as soon as you notice the power goes off. Now, if the power comes back on within a few hours then simply plug them in again.

But if the power is off for a considerable time, then the biological layers may have started to die (some die pretty quick).
What you do not want is a load of dead bacteria and their toxins being released back into the tank when the power comes back-on again.

Clean the filters and all pipes. Add some filter start bacteria after power-up.

Do a good partial water change and do not feed fish for a day after the power comes back on.
Double check for any dead fish as they will soon kill the others.

Of course, a portable generator is an option....in which case, non of the above need apply.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 Jan 2013 12:00 #6 by wlash (Tom)
i have a backup UPS unit setup. everything is plugged into the unit, it has six plug slots, so if the power did ever go off the battery would kick in, lasts a couple of hours, power hasnt cut before thankfully but its a good precaution

More
15 Jan 2013 12:05 #7 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
How much is it to set up one of these units. What do they look like as my tanks are in my room

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

More
15 Jan 2013 13:04 #8 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
i have the sockets under my tank connected to a socket at the back of my house
when i get a power cut i can plug in my generator and switch over to it for power
it very handy as i can plug in my fridge aswell

More
17 Jan 2013 11:39 #9 by wlash (Tom)

How much is it to set up one of these units. What do they look like as my tanks are in my room

www.eircomictdirect.ie/back-400va-230v-s...-bs1363-p-13174.html

More
22 Jan 2013 13:20 #10 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Thats the bizzzz have to get one of them

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
22 Jan 2013 17:21 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
heres a handy vid re what to do regarding power outage

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
03 Feb 2013 18:15 #12 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Thats the bizzzz have to get one of them

+1

Should the tank be pluged out when there is lightning storm ?

Something fishie going on here

More
04 Feb 2013 09:49 #13 by Muppetkiller (Stephen)
Lidl have a Petrol Generator for €199 on sale at the moment. Not sure if its that good but looks to have a output of 2600watts and 2800watts for a short time if needed. Im tempted in picking one up my self. About 3 years ago we had no power on christmas day for about 6hours or more.

Its something that you could buy and never need, but one never knows.

More
04 Feb 2013 09:51 #14 by Muppetkiller (Stephen)
Not sure if anyone else does it. But i plug all my fish plugs into surge protectors.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds