Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hillstream setup

More
31 Oct 2014 10:53 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
So here's a brief first look at my new hillstream setup. It's an 80L tank. I built a hillstream manifold for filtration with the twin sponges at one end and a 2000LPH pump at the other and a spraybar for more uniform flow. I'm going to build a small overhead sump over the weekend to filter it further. The lighting is a Hagen HiGlo high output system with blue marine bulbs to promote algal growth.

The rocks were "borrowed" from Killiney beach, the sand is JBL Sansibar black and there's some bogwood too. As for plants, I went with Bolbitis since it's supposed to do best in fast flowing water.

So far I only have 3 Amano shrimp and a dozen Vietnamese White Clouds in there but I'll be adding some bamboo shrimp and, most importantly, some Sewellia lineolata hillstream loaches.

I'll film something over the weekend, maybe after I've built the additional filter.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2014 10:56 #2 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Sweet set-up. Love hillstream loaches as you can tell from my profile photo!

Stephen

More
31 Oct 2014 11:25 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks. I'm hoping they'll feel right at home, once the tank has greened up a bit. I reckon the water will be getting turned over at least 25-30 times an hour, once I have the second filter running.

I love fish that have really specialized adaptations, which is why I also have a tank full of blind cave tetras. And in evolutionary terms they don't come much more specialized than hillstream loaches ;)

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
31 Oct 2014 12:09 #4 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Love watching them feed, fascinating. Also when they feed on the glass you can see there little hart beating, very cool. Make sure you get some pix up when you get the tank stocked.

Stephen

More
31 Oct 2014 14:13 #5 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Hillstream setup
I've been waiting for this lj!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
31 Oct 2014 14:56 - 31 Oct 2014 14:57 #6 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Great project. Looking forward to the video. There must be some serious flow in that tank

Eric
Last edit: 31 Oct 2014 14:57 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
31 Oct 2014 14:57 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I've been waiting for this lj!

Me too! :lol:

It's as much an experiment in filtration as it is about keeping fish.

More
31 Oct 2014 15:03 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Great project. Looking forward to the video. There must be some serious flow in that tank

Eric

Thanks. Yeah, the flow is pretty forceful but the rocks break it up quite a bit. The flow doesn't look too wild until the fish make a dash against the spraybar. They never get closer than a foot until the force sweeps them back. Curiously, the algae is growing first on the side of the rocks facing the spraybar.

More
31 Oct 2014 20:51 #9 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Looks great. Really like the substrate. Can I ask you what it is and we're you got it?

More
01 Nov 2014 05:31 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Looks great. Really like the substrate. Can I ask you what it is and we're you got it?

It's JBL Sansibar "Black". I got it in MaxiZoo.

More
19 Dec 2014 10:02 #11 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Any updates on this tank? Would love to see some photos

Paul

More
20 Dec 2014 00:29 - 20 Dec 2014 00:34 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Any updates on this tank? Would love to see some photos

Paul

All was going well until my 3 1/2 year old grandson decided my minnows looked peckish and dumped a whole container of flakes into the tank! With the very high flow, the whole think turned into a flake soup in seconds and I had to start over. Due to a few other considerations, I decided to redo it in a smaller tank, 60L instead of the 80L+ of the original tank. Because of that, I couldn't used the 2000lph pump I'd used originally. In a smaller tank it would have caused some backblast and the flow would have been so strong everywhere in the tank, the minnows wouldn't have been able to get any respite. At the moment it's running with a 600lph pump with the venturi connected to an air pump and and the airpump on a timer. All the shrimp and fish have been returned to it and everything seems fine for now. In the new year I think I'm going to get a 900-1000lph pump but for now the 600 will do. Still waiting on the Sewellias though...

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Dec 2014 00:34 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley). Reason: forgot photos

More
20 Dec 2014 10:09 #13 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I feel for you man, my daughter did the same thing in 2 of my shrimp tanks, with shrimp baby food, had to shut down the two, including a sulawesi one i had been maturing for 4 months :(
Are the filters doing the job for you ?

Anthony

More
20 Dec 2014 10:46 #14 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Jesus, that sounds even worse than what happened to me! This kind of stuff seems to always happen with the delicate or expensive setups :hammer:

Both filters are great. One is running on my Trigon190 Thorichthys ellioti tank with a big, big sponge. The other is running alongside a small HOB filter on my 80L panda cory tank. Getting the first of those today :cool: . They're a really good filter, I'm pretty impressed with them. Thanks!

More
20 Dec 2014 11:36 #15 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
The one with ceramic compartement can be hard to start sometimes after a cleaning, i found the best way to start it is to put horizontally until all the air comes out.
It s gonna be quiet a sight all these pandas swimming in the same tank :woohoo:

Anthony

More
20 Dec 2014 13:39 #16 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Beautiful tank! Lovely substrate and rock formations! Great overall layout!
Just wondering if the JBL Sansibar needed much rinsing before putting it in the tank..Thinking about using it myself on a new setup..Thanks!

More
20 Dec 2014 15:56 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Beautiful tank! Lovely substrate and rock formations! Great overall layout!
Just wondering if the JBL Sansibar needed much rinsing before putting it in the tank..Thinking about using it myself on a new setup..Thanks!

Thanks. I'd like to thank Killiney beach for it's contribution to this tank :whistle:

I started trying to rinse it but I found it was so light that I was rinsing away more of the sand than I'd like. I ended up just putting it into the tank as is and letting the filters do the cleaning. It is dusty and it clouds the water for a day or two, but even a sponge filter (which is basically what my hillstream manifold is) will clear it up pretty easily.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds