Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

oh dear what have i done????

More
20 Sep 2015 23:36 - 11 Nov 2015 11:45 #211 by carlowchris (chris)
And i cant up load pics again

Attachment PhotoEditor-1447242305680.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Nov 2015 11:45 by carlowchris (chris).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2015 12:26 #212 by carlowchris (chris)
Pbt is settling in

Attachment IMG_20151111_122444.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2015 12:35 #213 by carlowchris (chris)
Clam has been settling in nicely as well....really like clams and hoping to get another one .....this is one of easier ones ....just to see how I get on

Got to do some work now next on my cabinet.....new bigger sump hoping in and a recirulating reactor....going to be running all in one biopelletts..

So got a bit of work to do

More
11 Nov 2015 12:36 #214 by carlowchris (chris)

Attachment IMG_20151111_123110.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2015 12:39 #215 by carlowchris (chris)
And a little monti sps

Attachment IMG_20151111_123841.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2015 13:08 #216 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Good progress by the looks of things
You have come a long way since I sold you the little chi and rsm130 back in that shut hole I used to work in

More
11 Nov 2015 13:49 #217 by carlowchris (chris)
Thanks......still have that little chi....as soon as I find the poxy remote for the light that will go up for sale......

It's amazing how things go missing on ya.

Still a lot of work left to do......it's a never ending hobby

More
11 Nov 2015 15:37 #218 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Thank si looking really good.

And the clam looks amazing, I think I will be getting one as well on my new tank. Keep the pictures coming!

How is the big fella doing?

More
11 Nov 2015 18:14 #219 by carlowchris (chris)
Thanks Alex.....which big fella??? The vampire is doing great....but got a feeling he's going end up too big for my tank before he becomes an adult..

The big purple milka I had got a massive cyano problem and was dying before my eyes.........was going on holiday and had to pull him out of tank before I left....took a little frag and that seems to be doing great at the mo but it's got a long way to go.

More
24 Nov 2015 15:04 #220 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Yeah that one. It is funny, when we buy fish we are told, it gets big but we always seem to think it will be fine until we see it in the tank... lol

Keep pictures coming... how is the milka?

More
25 Jan 2016 15:32 #221 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Any new pics of the tank buddy been a while since i have been on here :-)

More
07 Feb 2016 20:38 #222 by carlowchris (chris)
Thanks...tanks fairly the same ....need to do a major over hall....sand will be getting removed...rock getting rearranged ....New sump going in and a few new filter and electrical bits going in.....

All I need though is the time to do it....

More
29 Feb 2016 23:40 #223 by carlowchris (chris)
Vampire tang is heading off to a new home shortly ..had massive trouble trying to get him with a net and after only a short time there he is straight in the trap

Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2016 00:14 #224 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Howye chris, you should know by now trying to catch a fish in a marine tank is like trying to catch a wasp in a forest!!!

But on a serious note good job keeping him fat and healthy, even I struggled with that

Are you leaving him in the trap until bagging, is their holes in the trap for a bit if circulation (mine doesn't) and was thinking Ammonia ?

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
01 Mar 2016 08:44 #225 by carlowchris (chris)
There's holes in the side of the trap but haven't closed the door on him yet ...going to be probly Wednesday before Paul takes him.........so he's getting comfortable with it and hopefully he'll be well used to it when I close the door.....and it shouldn't stress him out too much then..

He's one seriously fast fish...remember the day you caught him....you had luck on your side that day..

His new home is going to be at least double the size of my tank...and got a feeling this lad still has a lot of growing to do...so I think it's best to get him a new home that will be good for him...while I have the chance..

Love the vampire tang though and a shame to see him go...I'll be on the look out in seahorse for maybe a 2 inch one...

More
02 Mar 2016 14:28 #226 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Ah cool,
I don't remember catching him haha

He Deffo going to have fun in a bigger tank he has plenty of growing in him yet

I've never seen a small vampire they all seem to be mid to large, il keep an eye out for yeh when I do be out their

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
09 Mar 2016 23:16 #227 by carlowchris (chris)
Cheers Jeff...I did see a small one in there not so long ago ..so they can be got...but was in sh last week and they had a load of them..hard believe there is Enough people out there with tanks big enough for them......just happy at least mine found a home that's big enough for him

Was dosing red sea coral colours and for some reason iron is getting zapped out of the water quicker tan I can dose it....iodine and potassium good but iron just seems to disappear daily....

Three possibility s

1...corals are using it up.....doubtfull not enough corals to use it up

2 cheato in the sump is using it....maybe

3 the iron is getting bound up up the sand....maybe.

Dee day tommorrow...tank being broke down ....sand will be gone ...and new sump going in cheato will be gone too and bio pellets going in.....

Hope there's no casualties but Been putting this off for far too long.

More
11 Mar 2016 17:41 #228 by carlowchris (chris)
Ok tank is empty....only took 4.hours ....sand is comming out next and all live stock is currently in the bathroom tub

Slightly miscalculated and my bathtub does not hold 500 litres of water....bathtub full and every bucket full aswell...looks like I'm going to be mixing up loads of new water later on

More
12 Mar 2016 13:59 #229 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
How's the upgrade / switchover / removal going? Be interested to see new pics when you get finished

More
12 Mar 2016 14:13 #230 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Yeah Chris

What's going on? We want pics too

:)

More
12 Mar 2016 15:08 #231 by carlowchris (chris)
Well this is turning into quite the rebuild...both hammie and Jeff did warn me it would probly take two days....and how right they were

New sump is in ....skimmer is soaking in vinegar and new return pump and new reactors are not in yet...still got to get some plumbing bits from sea horse t ommorrow but hopefully I,'ll get some of the new elecrical points done tonight

Send is out of the tank and rock is not exactly how I wanted it but was up till 8am just trying to get water mixed and stuff back in....slight bacterial bloom going on....so 2 air pumps going at the no till get the skimmer back in and heaters are only placed in tank to get try get tempeture up as quick as possible......main heater went faulty and have me a nice wake up buzz at 4 o'clock this morning...so on safe side getting new heaters from sea horse t ommorrow too

Still lots to do but getting there.....no losses yet....a blenney dropped out of a rock and caught that....urchin don't remember putting him back in the tank but can't find him anywhere else ...so hope he's in there.
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2016 09:04 #232 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Ok man, keep us posted.

I remember how nasty it was removing the sand from my previous aquarium...

:)

More
13 Mar 2016 14:05 #233 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Hi Chris,
Sorry to bother you with such a simple question over such a busy time, but....
Why do you gave to soak the skimmer in vinegar?
How many quotes did you get from the family " you will be swimming with the fishes" if that baths not empty soon?!

Hope the rest of them rebuild goes ok.

More
13 Mar 2016 20:21 #234 by carlowchris (chris)
Luckily enough the bath was only full for one night..

Soaking the skimmer in a mix of vinegar and cittric acid to dissolve the coraline algae that's built on the skimmer.....by the time it finished it will look like new.

More
13 Mar 2016 20:26 #235 by carlowchris (chris)
Was in seahorse today...

3 New heaters going in......double back up.

More
13 Mar 2016 22:29 #236 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I have never had an issue with my heater (touch wood) ever. But I can only imagine how bad could have been if I had, specially while on holidays...

That was the main reason why I bought the seneye (which didnt really deliver) and now the Apex...

The problem is that having such controllers makde me even more paranoid... specially the seneye which refreshed every hour or so, nothing worse than seeing your temp go from 25 to over 29 and having to wait another hour to know what happened!

More
13 Mar 2016 22:35 #237 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Thats why i think the stc 1000 is a really good idea!
No way for me to check on it while im away pr out, but knowing if the heater fails and sticks on..... The stc will cut the piwer to it once the temp gets above a preset limit

If i could check on it when im not home i thonk id end up loosing my mind if i didnt check it constantly!

More
13 Mar 2016 22:46 #238 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Lol

That is what was happening to me... couldnt stop looking at the app!

:S

More
13 Mar 2016 23:31 #239 by carlowchris (chris)
When Ifirst heard of the apex .I thought it was a waste of money..

Always thoght what use is it my apex sending me a email telling me my ph is off the scale if I'm up in Dublin.100 mile away.. ...but a couple of weeks ago I bought a orp and ph monitor...this week I'mlooking at a stc......a.d only a few weeeks ago I was looking at a digital salinity meter....and suddenly I think I'm the apex is probly the way to go.

Be nice if seahorse had a little section where you can buy the main bit and add modules as you like......wouldn't seem as big an out lay if ya could do do it bit by bit.

Sure more people would have apex then..

More
15 Mar 2016 22:52 #240 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Say ur head was melted chris how yeh getting on now
Theirs some bang off the sand when ur removing it isn't their, it's a smell the lingers in ur nostrils for a while haha

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds