Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

oh dear what have i done????

More
17 Feb 2015 00:04 #121 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Will yeh hurry up with the pics lol

What you get?

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2015 22:02 - 23 Feb 2015 22:22 #122 by carlowchris (chris)
Turned the resultion on the phone.only problem is the pictures look crap now...think im going to have to start a photo bucket account

got a large purple milka,toxic green trumpet,a digi monti,another frogsspawn(different though)a royal gramma and a little freebie of a plateing monti

dory and blade are not getting along well...trying to feed him up cut down on his aggression but i dont want nitrates to go sky high either so think i may have to start thinking about biopelletts

think i seen someone on here who has a tank and it looks like the pulsing xenia is growing all over the back glass...going to try get some bits off the rock and then get it onto another rock and then place that rock at the base of the back glass and then see if it transfers itself onto the glass...think it might look fairly cool
Last edit: 23 Feb 2015 22:22 by carlowchris (chris).

More
27 Feb 2015 22:18 #123 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Turned the resultion on the phone.only problem is the pictures look crap now...think im going to have to start a photo bucket account

got a large purple milka,toxic green trumpet,a digi monti,another frogsspawn(different though)a royal gramma and a little freebie of a plateing monti

dory and blade are not getting along well...trying to feed him up cut down on his aggression but i dont want nitrates to go sky high either so think i may have to start thinking about biopelletts

think i seen someone on here who has a tank and it looks like the pulsing xenia is growing all over the back glass...going to try get some bits off the rock and then get it onto another rock and then place that rock at the base of the back glass and then see if it transfers itself onto the glass...think it might look fairly cool

Crap pics are better than no pics ha
tank must be filling up nice now with all the new stuff
the joy of adding a new tang, plenty of seaweed and they will eventually agree who's boss
I would recommend the biopellets mine are starting to kick in now no3 getting lower every few days
I've Seen the xenia on the glass also looks cool and also helps with no3 but that amount of xenia could get very messy

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
01 Mar 2015 21:46 #124 by carlowchris (chris)
Lets see if this works

More
01 Mar 2015 21:48 #125 by carlowchris (chris)
Stupid bloody camera phones

More
01 Mar 2015 21:53 #126 by carlowchris (chris)
Try again

More
01 Mar 2015 21:55 #127 by carlowchris (chris)
Fed up every one of those images was below 1 meg some were only half that....never had a problem before samsung done there softwareupdate.

More
01 Mar 2015 22:22 #128 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Don't have a Samsung phone so can't give any more info, sorry I know it's a head wrecker

Send hammie a pm he knows how to do it i remember he sorted photos out for me a while back and he has a Samsung so he'll Deffo know what to do with that phone

More
01 Mar 2015 23:17 - 01 Mar 2015 23:17 #129 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Download the photo editor app, it is free and let you resize, crop etc your photos on your android phone, i have it on my samsung ;)
Last edit: 01 Mar 2015 23:17 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne).

More
02 Mar 2015 21:15 #130 by carlowchris (chris)
Lets see if photo editor app works

More
02 Mar 2015 21:17 #131 by carlowchris (chris)
No it dont work

thise pics were only 110kb..i give up :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

More
02 Mar 2015 21:34 #132 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
And me who thought i was bad :crazy:

More
02 Mar 2015 21:42 #133 by carlowchris (chris)
Lets see if photo editor app works

Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2015 21:43 #134 by carlowchris (chris)
Woo hoo.....stupid phone but im the clever one now B) B) B)

More
02 Mar 2015 21:48 #135 by carlowchris (chris)
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2015 22:28 #136 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
hallafeckinglooya good man chris yeh got their :hammer: :hammer:

excellent stuff was dying to see it, its deffo came along way since the last time i seen it, lots going on now looks good 'the bleedin size of that sps haha'

see blade was beggin again hes a hungry fecker isn't he, lol

no excuse now for all the update pics il be asking for :P

More
03 Mar 2015 09:51 #137 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Everything looks very very healthy chris
Theres some amount of time and effort in there! But id say its worth it

More
03 Mar 2015 10:15 #138 by carlowchris (chris)
Completly worth probly dont put as much time into as i should but got this weekend off...first full weekend in over a year so going to get stuck in and a bit of rearanging to do....theres not the places i'd like to place the corals i have and hopefully will be adding more so need to move things around....that milka being one of them...it probly too big but just going to move it for now and maybe some time in the future i'll read up on sps fraging

blade the vampire tang is one hungry git....he'd eat all day if it was there....dorys learned how to run from him at the mo there are smaller places between the rocks that dory can run through but blade cant follow..so i'll have to do the same thing when i move the rock around......still want a naso tang....just wondering if a goid time to add when the rocks changed so no one has a terority marked????or if better to wait??

More
03 Mar 2015 21:19 #139 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
When adding a new ' especially tang you should always move a few things around, sorry should have said that before you added the vampire oops, if your moving stuff thus weekend that's the best time to go for another tang and it can rest up in the sump while you do whet you have to do then turn off the lights and pop him in, didn't see any in sh today on display they had a blond one but they grow to fast and he won't last long in yours, they may have had one out the back but wasn't in their today just give them a bell to avoid disappointment travel time ;) and if you get one ask to see it feeding before you take it, and feeding on seaweed not frozen

More
03 Mar 2015 23:08 #140 by carlowchris (chris)
Ohhhhh bugger.....i just remembered i was suspossed to go into seahorse today...steve was going to give me the programme for yhe leds above the big tank...opppps. :blink:

More
04 Mar 2015 18:32 #141 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Steve knows better than anyone that t5's are the way to go especially if you're looking to grow sps

More
05 Mar 2015 23:08 #142 by carlowchris (chris)
Think given the choice now i'd would of gone with t5s but i've too much invested in the liggts now so just i'll just have to work with what i've got....the big tank in seahorse has the same lighs so hoping with there programme corals should do well

More
06 Mar 2015 07:59 #143 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Your tanks looks great :-) as said allot of work and money gone in there :-) looking forward to seeing allot more pictures now :-)

More
30 Mar 2015 18:35 - 30 Mar 2015 18:37 #144 by carlowchris (chris)
Well the rock still hasn't been moved and I'm seriously considering taking out the sand....the tank over the last couple of weeks has developed a smell.thought running carbon would get rid of it but it hasn't....never been happy using the old sand from the old tanks and always blamed the old sand for my phosphate problems....

I had 3 sand sifting starfish and a go by.2 conches and 3 of those snails that bury themselves and there not able to keep it clean...it's clean on top but underneath is a different story.....wary about pulling out the sand now cause of a nitrate/phosphate spike killing everything..so a new reactor from cleartides is ordered and once the aio pellets kick in..think I pull out the sand leaving a small dusting of sand on the bottom..

New wave makers are in the tank 5 wp25s and have so far stired up some unbelievable crap....hard to believe that the tank looks clean when your skimmer is pulling out all that stuff..

And that black sponge is still doing my head in.....it dies off in one spot to only start growing in another..

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 18:37 by carlowchris (chris).

More
30 Mar 2015 20:04 #145 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Having spoken to you and Jeff over the past while, Im seriously thinking of starting mine with little or no sand from the start

Just waiting to get a unit for the tank to sit on and im gone in a hack
going to need to get more live rock tho if thats the case......
otherwise its going to look very very bare!!!!

More
30 Mar 2015 20:41 #146 by carlowchris (chris)
Ohhhh hamie......another salty thread about to start.....

Ahhhh tanks always look bare the enjoyment comes from filling it up,little by little....

Completely bare bottom kind of worries me about keeping clean.....look at the stuff that grows on the glass....must be a pain in the hole to clean off the bottom......but bare bottom might provide a more healthy environment...so it's probly a bit of a trade off.

More
30 Mar 2015 20:47 #147 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
You mean like coraline algea?
Why clean it off? just let it grow surely?

More
30 Mar 2015 21:04 #148 by carlowchris (chris)
I suspose it's all down to the individual....I like coraline algae on the rock but don't like it on the glass....but I'd be more worried about the green dust type algae that grows on your glass .....getting that off the bottom of the tank.

More
30 Mar 2015 21:14 #149 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
yea i never thought of that green crap to be honest....

Must make a decision this week once and forall

More
30 Mar 2015 22:08 #150 by carlowchris (chris)
Decissions Decissions. They never end

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds