Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

live rock turning white

More
18 Dec 2014 22:53 #1 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi all

Experiencing some issues with my new marine setup.

My live rock is turning white, it has started over the Last two days. Wondering will the temperature cause this...?

Went away Wednesday morning temp was 25℃ which it has been since I set the tank up 10 days ago.

Came home tonight and heard a popping sound that came from the tank. Checked the tank and noticed the temperature was into the high mid 30s and the heater had gone.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2015 20:54 #2 by iknowkungfu (chris)
Hi did u sort your problem white on live is too much cal falling out of the water are you adding extra calc or buffer or mags if so stop and just do your wkly water changes

More
10 Feb 2015 21:16 #3 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Yeah got it sorted. Heater was knackered and cooked the rock.

More
11 Feb 2015 21:07 #4 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Hi did u sort your problem white on live is too much cal falling out of the water are you adding extra calc or buffer or mags if so stop and just do your wkly water changes

Water changes are not going to sort out the levels of calcium and buffer,

it may work for a fowlr tank though

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
23 Feb 2015 20:00 #5 by iknowkungfu (chris)
if you use a high brand of red sea coral pro its more natural then adding tons of solutions i have added tons of this stuff over the years and i found out weekly water changes are the best way, it may take the while. and save you alot of cash in the future,

More
24 Feb 2015 09:49 #6 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
You should consider buying a STC1000 temp controller unit. At least if you heater breaks the temperature is still controlleed. You can find them on ebay cheap.

More
24 Feb 2015 16:00 #7 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Cheers for the info lads.

Ended up exchanging the rock in the end. Tank is coming along really nicely started to add corals etc.

More
02 Mar 2015 20:30 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

if you use a high brand of red sea coral pro its more natural then adding tons of solutions i have added tons of this stuff over the years and i found out weekly water changes are the best way, it may take the while. and save you alot of cash in the future,

sorry mate but ur way off the mark here it does not matter what salt in the world you use, take a tank like mine i have to dose 56 grams of buffer per week to keep my alk steady at 10 i then have to add 42 grams per week of calcium to keep that steady at 420, and just to clarify this is divided into daily dosing for a stable tank

so you could imaging the drop in a week if their was no dosing

even if you done a 90% water change the salt that you mix can not bring up the levels, the bucket of salt has the same everything in it and cant bring up what is not their

if you were to add say 50ltrs of new water to bring up falling levels if that was to work the 50ltrs you just put in would be depleted

dya get me

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
03 Mar 2015 10:47 #9 by carlowchris (chris)
I was recently in a guys house who had a small sps tank,i'd say probly 80- 100 liters andhe told me all he done was water changes and didnt dose for anything..

But what jeffs saying makes more sense...if your cal is down 20 ppm and you do a 10%water change then you've only replenised the cal in 10 % of the water....90%of tanks waters cal is still down..so you have to dose...a water change is not going to sort it out....

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds