Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

First tank

More
06 Mar 2015 09:08 #31 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic First tank
Both tank from about a week ago.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2015 16:24 #32 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic First tank
Tanks look great fair play to yeh really really nice work

Sooooooo jealous about them mandarins can't believe you get them eating frozen food well done

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
13 Mar 2015 13:45 #33 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic First tank
Great looking tanks you have there :-) very impressive. There are some Mandrins in my local Marine store he said is starting to eat frozen food.
1 in 10 he says that he gets do normally. This batch he has 3 that are eating frozen. If i had a bigger tank i would have one for sure :-)

More
14 Mar 2015 11:52 #34 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Ceech would he post to Dublin

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
14 Mar 2015 16:28 - 14 Mar 2015 16:31 #35 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Ceech would he post to Dublin

I am not sure to be honest if he would we have 2 stores here i have seen Mandrins eating frozen food.
Being honest you can train them also. Thats how the stores do it put them in a tank which they feed frozen too.
I would think it would cost allot to send 1 fish from Norway to you , As he would want to use 24 hr shipping .
I will ask him for you.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2015 16:31 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

More
14 Mar 2015 17:11 #36 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic First tank
If he was in a position to do it, date and price dependent I might be interested!

More
14 Mar 2015 18:44 #37 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I've had these before and failed each time trying to get them to eat

If he would ship them I'd take two if the cost wasn't to mental, infact ask if he could do say 6 of them Im sure hammie is not the only one who would like one, I can cover the costs and the lads can sort me out,

Anyone else interested can comment below, and ceech if you could find that out when you get a chance that would be fantastic (if yeh don't mind)

More
15 Mar 2015 06:02 #38 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey guys,

for a mandirin try and get a female, they are alot smaller and don't need to eat as much as the males to keep healthy looking. There is a frozen food lobster eggs that ismade for problem eaters like mandarin and 6 lines etc that has gotten my male moving around alot better in the tank.
I had the female mandarin in the tank a few weeks before getting the male and she was fine. It's only the make I'm having a bit of an issue with. But then again he's nearly 2 months in the tank and I havent lost him yet.

Cleaning tanks today so I'll post pics of tanks and corals tonight. Up early to watch the f1 ☺

More
17 Mar 2015 09:29 - 17 Mar 2015 09:31 #39 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey guys,

Please enjoy the pics from my tanks so far.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2015 09:31 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley). Reason: Placing pictures

More
17 Mar 2015 09:31 #40 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Here are pic of the small tank corals

Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2015 09:33 #41 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
And now for the larger tank lol

More
17 Mar 2015 10:31 #42 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Very impressive.

More
18 Mar 2015 16:45 #43 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
They look great well done

More
23 Mar 2015 11:38 #44 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

I've had these before and failed each time trying to get them to eat

If he would ship them I'd take two if the cost wasn't to mental, infact ask if he could do say 6 of them Im sure hammie is not the only one who would like one, I can cover the costs and the lads can sort me out,

Anyone else interested can comment below, and ceech if you could find that out when you get a chance that would be fantastic (if yeh don't mind)

He has a red mandrin and a green mandrin that he has now in stock. i am taking green mandrin after easter he wants to make sure he stays eating frozen food. I seen him eating mysis last week , but as i will be away for a week i will wait until i am home.he sold the other 2 green mandrins on saturday who were also eating frozen.I asked and he does not have a licence to send live fish to Ireland he told me.Went in this morning after a meeting as the store was close by.
He is charging 65 euro each and delivery to ireland would be expensive for 24 hrs shipping even if he could. Also he said even if he did send there is no gaurentee , if they arrive dead .Which he does not like either as he gives in Norway for all customers on overnight shipments.He said he will have a look into how he could send and a shipping price.

More
24 Mar 2015 16:44 #45 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Looking a but expensive alright and maybe a but dodgy lol

But thank you so much for taking the time to investigate the sinario fair play, cheers buddy

More
25 Mar 2015 07:48 #46 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Not a problem at all Jeff. I am thinking of buying another tank for my storeage room and getting a pair and trying to breed them. But i will have to wait a bit or the boss woman would have a fit lol

More
26 Mar 2015 00:55 #47 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
cheers

i know the feeling mate, its like if she hasn't got any use for something, its not going to happen without a heartache

but when you do win!!!!

That would be a great project and most satisfying, and id love a new post all about how it gos

More
26 Mar 2015 09:18 #48 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

cheers

i know the feeling mate, its like if she hasn't got any use for something, its not going to happen without a heartache

but when you do win!!!!

That would be a great project and most satisfying, and id love a new post all about how it gos

One step at a time i will walk before i run- She gives out give an inch i take a mile :-)

More
27 Mar 2015 02:15 #49 by Coiledserpent (Patrick Quinlivan)
Hey bud,i was thinking about getting this tank or the clearseal reefspace 900
any issues with the tank are lights good,plumbing work etc....

More
28 Mar 2015 08:50 #50 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey coiledserpent,

well I had a look at the reef space and by just looking at it I would go for that lol. The m90 has a back compartment sump which actually takes away from the 136l capacity of the tank. So its really just a 108l front capacity tank.

lights of the tank are giving off great light throughout the tank, not much shadowing and everything is growing quite well.

sump wise, the design is not great, it overflows from each compartment at the top which with the return in the last section seams to flow mainly over the top. I've to test placing new sections to make the water travel up and down the sump but I haven't had a chance yet.

equipment wise that comes with the tank,

skimmer : it's noisy but good. Will do up to a 175l and giving good skimming.

Power head, it's good but I have upgraded for better flow.

heater, fine but he upgraded to 300w ehiem

return pump, need to cleaned every week to make sure flow is good.

Cleaning wise, it's quite hard to get to the sump, the other tank since its under the tank would be so much easier.

If you need to know anything else mate let me know.

More
30 Mar 2015 13:02 #51 by Coiledserpent (Patrick Quinlivan)
A cheers for the info bud.
Do you know where they stock the reefspace anywhere in galway or ireland ?

More
08 Apr 2015 10:32 #52 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
I have no idea where to get a reef space mate, could ask the lads in SH if they could if not, Rick in tranquil gardens out the far side of claregalway. He will order in anything lol. He's a great guy too, does great deals if your setting up tanks. I know he's planning on selling a clearseal 2 ft tank he used as a display you could get cheap with everything, he's upgrading to a larger tank.

More
16 May 2015 08:57 #53 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Sorry everyone, been far too long since i put an update of the tanks up.

Firstly, the male mandarin has gone to fishy heaven. Was trying for afew days to get him to eat after he stopped but one morning came home and he was no more. The female is doing very well tho, fat andalways seams to be happy.

Secondly, I was trying to mate a pair of clowns, a phantom and a premium snowflake, but was stopped after my yellow tang decided to stab my premium snowflake and after 2 days he died. If anyone has any snowflakes let me know as im looking for another.

Next item, my cardinals decided to breed in the tank but the male didn't keep the babies for more than a few days, but hoping they will again.

Everything is growing well, have added some cloves, and lovely Duncan corals into the large tank.

Will put pics up later. Had a electrical issue during the week so have to tidy up tanks and put them back into place again.

Small tank, my mated percula clowns are very happy, all my zoas are growing. Having an issue with some algae growth so trying to sort that out.

Hope everyone is happy with the update and will put pics up soon.

More
31 Dec 2015 21:44 #54 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Replied by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez) on topic First tank
Hey

How is the tank doing?

:)

More
24 Feb 2016 03:35 #55 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Sorry for such a long time without an update.

The M90 is going great ill get some pics of it during the day tomorrow. It currently has these as its occupants :

Fish :
2 snowflake clowns
2 breeding cardinals (breeding not progressing past holding eggs tho)
1 purple dottyback
3 Chromis
1 neon damsel (one died)
1 female mandarin (still going really well, lost the male after 4 months in tank)
1 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint (had an outbreak of aiptasia but they sorted it out after a little aiptasia x help )
varies snails and other housekeepers

COrals:

2 different frogspawn
3 monti's
purple acro
green star polyps
metallic green star polyps
pom pom zenia
duncan coral
Clove polyps
2 unknown corals (will show pics when i get them)
1 large fungia
1 small fungia
3 fungias growing on fungia tree
1 fungia trying to grow on another fungia tree but always annoyed by bubble algae

As for the small tank

fish wise

2 percula clowns
1 yellow clown goby
1 red scooter blenny

corals

pom pom zenia
numberous zoas
i huge toadstool :)

As for eveything else all is going well. In the process of thinking about a new tank, 6 footer and moving everything into that tank and then selling off the m90 and m60

I have older pics on my phone which im uploading now and will add other newer ones when i get time

Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2016 16:52 #56 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic First tank
looks greats ,well done

More
24 Feb 2016 17:52 #57 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Those corals have grown quite a bit!

What lighting are you using? how much have the SPS grown since you got it?

I found LEDs on their own struggle a bit to grow this corals, or at least they dont thrive as much.

More
26 Feb 2016 00:52 #58 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey Bohiro,

Im using the Fluval Sea LEDs that come with the tank still on them.

With SPS they are not great on their own. I have had some growth but not a huge amount, plus with the fish im keeping and the feeding to keep the mandarin alive they do suffer every now and again and have to recover.

Changing to a new tank soon so they are going to be running on T5 for the growth so everything in both tanks are going to be moved into new tank. with both tanks there are over 50kgs of live rock plus im putting in another 30+ in the next tank. I ahve new pics which i hope to put up once i get a spare moment in work tonight.

More
28 Feb 2016 22:56 #59 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well finally here are some new pics :)

Attachments:

More
28 Feb 2016 23:54 #60 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey

Nice pics man

Yes, I found LEDs dont grow SPSs as much as T5s, however I find hybrids (a combination of LEDs and T5) to be the best option, or at least so I have been reading

I am getting some for my new built as well, I will let you know how I get on.

When are you planning of upgrading?

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds