Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

archerfish adoption

More
23 Jul 2015 11:48 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm just putting this idea out there, see what people think.
I have an archerfish/mudskipper setup in a Juwel Vision180 with only about 70L of water in it. While both fish seem happy enough, I can't help feeling that the mudskippers deserve more climbing space and the archers deserve more swimming room. I've more or less decided that I'd like it to be a dedicated 'skipper tank but I'd like to move the archers into a setup of their own that I have planned. But here's the pickle... I won't be able to set that tank up for 2-3 months.
What I'm wondering is, would it be possible for someone to hold on to the archers for that time? There are two of them, about 3 1/2 inches long and being Toxotes microlepsis, they don't get bigger than 5 inches. They're pretty mild mannered but they will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, and they have large gobs on them for their size! Currently they're in very mildly brackish water but they happily tolerate freshwater too.
Would anyone be able to help me out? Or am I better off just selling them?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2015 12:33 #2 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
I would gladly help but no spare tank atm. :(

They seem big enough but still would be probably bullied by my cichlids.

More
23 Jul 2015 12:40 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
You're right. They might be a threat to smaller fish but other than that they're total pussycats.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
23 Jul 2015 13:03 #4 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Most of my cichlids are 3-4 inch, I meant that my cichlids would bully the archerfish. But if you think they will get along bring them.

But it will need to wait until I finish project on my tank (need to polish glass scratches so all my fish need to go to 100l temporary), still waiting for some stuff. Maybe you find someone in meantime.

What water condition they need?

More
23 Jul 2015 14:37 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks for the offer but it sounds like you need less hassle at the moment, not more :lol:

More
23 Jul 2015 14:41 #6 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I am just setting up a new tank, it's being built by Bart at the moment, so am looking for fish to go in it.
The list I want to get so far is
Cherry barbs
Gold or blue gourami
Cardinal tetra
White fin tetra
Angel fish
Glass catfish
Wild Galaxy pleco
Rainbow fish
Golden Rams
Dennison barb
Would archer fish fit into this grouping? Or are some of them to small so will become food!?
I saw your video of your mudskipper setup when you posted it, it looked great.
Anyway if I can help the offer is there. I may be reluctant to give them back though!!

More
23 Jul 2015 15:33 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks but I think they'd snack on the tetras and the cherry barbs :lol:
They might not, not at first. But it'd be an expensive way to find out! They really are peaceful fish, they just have big mouths!

More
23 Jul 2015 16:09 #8 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
If its not a space issue you can borrow a tank from me temporarily until you setup final project

More
23 Jul 2015 16:24 #9 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

Thanks for the offer but it sounds like you need less hassle at the moment, not more :lol:

No worries :) once I finish there is no issue.

More
24 Jul 2015 08:20 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

If its not a space issue you can borrow a tank from me temporarily until you setup final project

It's always a space issue :laugh:
How big is the tank?

More
24 Jul 2015 10:53 #11 by sebcity (Ronan Healy)
I've a 100l cycled tank just sitting there with water and sand only, not stock. Heading on holidays in Sept so waiting til after to stock it. You can stick your archers in there no hassle if you want!

More
24 Jul 2015 11:28 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I've a 100l cycled tank just sitting there with water and sand only, not stock. Heading on holidays in Sept so waiting til after to stock it. You can stick your archers in there no hassle if you want!

That'd be perfect, cheers! It would be the end of September before I could take them back though. Is that still ok with you?

More
24 Jul 2015 12:11 #13 by sebcity (Ronan Healy)
Yeah, no problem. I'll test the water over the weekend again as haven't gone near it in a few weeks.
Would the archers be ok in a bare tank?

More
24 Jul 2015 13:04 #14 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
They do need somewhere to hide, at least initially. I could provide a terracotta flowerpot if necessary.

More
25 Jul 2015 00:13 #15 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

It's always a space issue :laugh:
How big is the tank?

sorry didnt log on til now
I have 30L, 54L, 76L, 95L and 265L available if you end up needing one of them

More
30 Jul 2015 08:06 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Yeah, no problem. I'll test the water over the weekend again as haven't gone near it in a few weeks.
Would the archers be ok in a bare tank?

Any update?

More
30 Jul 2015 13:51 #17 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic archerfish adoption
My 270 litre hasn't much in it at the minute if it will suit them

More
30 Jul 2015 14:12 #18 by alan 64 (alan)
Although I forgot I have to put my bristlenose fry in there them lads might eat them would they

More
30 Jul 2015 14:37 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Although I forgot I have to put my bristlenose fry in there them lads might eat them would they

Thanks for the offer but you're absolutely right. Archerfish have big mouths. BN fry would only be a snack.

More
31 Jul 2015 03:28 #20 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
i still have empty tanks if you need a loaner with absolutely no rush. got my new house keys yesterday and wouldnt be setting up new tanks now for while . it will be enough work to move.

More
31 Jul 2015 10:12 #21 by alan 64 (alan)
Congratulations on the new house stephane u have been moving around a bit where are u final settling down

More
31 Jul 2015 10:51 #22 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

i still have empty tanks if you need a loaner with absolutely no rush. got my new house keys yesterday and wouldnt be setting up new tanks now for while . it will be enough work to move.

Thanks. I think I may have to take you up on that. It should only be for 4-6 weeks.

More
20 Aug 2015 13:17 #23 by sebcity (Ronan Healy)
Hi LemonJelly,

Sorry haven't been on in a while.
The water was perfect that week and a couple of days later the filter started acting up so I dismantled it and it's still dismantled so probably a good thing the fish never came.
Apologies for the lack of communication

More
20 Aug 2015 13:28 #24 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Hi LemonJelly,

Sorry haven't been on in a while.
The water was perfect that week and a couple of days later the filter started acting up so I dismantled it and it's still dismantled so probably a good thing the fish never came.
Apologies for the lack of communication

No worries. I ended up finding a solution so obvious I was wondering how I hadn't thought of it before. :lol:

More
20 Aug 2015 13:32 #25 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@LJ so share, what was the solution?

More
20 Aug 2015 14:10 #26 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I had a Juwel Rio I could use but there was no way it'd fit under the set of shelves where I needed to place the tank. So I took the stand from the leaky tank and screwed the top of the cabinet from the Juwel tank directly onto it. Now it's low enough to fit under the shelf, just about. The archers have much more water volume than before and I intend to use Java fern and Anubias liberally over the next few months to give a more natural river look.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds