Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Buying led units from America

More
31 Mar 2015 13:31 #1 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi Lads,

Just wondering has anyone bought any light units from American on here....?

Can anyone recommend shops etc

Looking at buying hydra 26 or the new AI prime led

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2015 13:42 #2 by JohnH (John)
First thing to bear in mind is that the power supply in the US is 110v DC where ours here is 240v AC.
There have been instances before now where members have bought electrical goods from there and have been unable to use them.
Of course, it's always possible that these - being LEDs - could well work 'dual power', but it's as well to be aware of this potential pitfall all the same.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Mar 2015 14:01 #3 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Ive bought externals form Europe and used a travel plug with no issues. The wattage was 45watts and never had issues, wondering if it would be the same with the led units. In the perfect world I would use a transformer but would that be needed.

Wondering if anybody in here has bought a unit and how they are finding it.

Could be an expensive mistake....!!!!!!

More
31 Mar 2015 14:20 #4 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)

Hi Lads,

Just wondering has anyone bought any light units from American on here....?

Can anyone recommend shops etc

Looking at buying hydra 26 or the new AI prime led

Hi, ive ordered Ai hydra 26 from seahorse. Still awaiting for it...saying that, ive inquired in amazon.com and other websites, the price including shipping+import duties is not too far from the price when ordering from Ireland. The rrp for Aqua Illumination brand is controlled by the manufacturer as far as i know...So it might be worth it to weigh wether its better to order abroad (cheaper) or get it locally-for returns just in case...

More
31 Mar 2015 14:24 #5 by alkiely (alan kiely)
If you dont mind me asking how much was the hydra 26 from SH...?

More
31 Mar 2015 15:19 #6 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Our voltage is double theirs..anything designed to work on American voltage that is plugged into an irish socket will just blow unless the lights work on low voltage via a universal power supply (like the ones that come with laptops)

More
31 Mar 2015 15:30 #7 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)

If you dont mind me asking how much was the hydra 26 from SH...?

Its €370 for a Hydra 26....€120 for AI director. It is not on their website so better ring them and ask Daniel for a special order. Im sure the manufacturer got it configured to work at 240V, otherwise they would not have distributed it. Give SH a ring anyways...

More
31 Mar 2015 15:31 - 31 Mar 2015 15:32 #8 by Homer (Kevin)
Maplin step up and step down transformers, it isn't the voltage, its the cycle, I brought home a Marine land Led unit from Canada, where I am right now and bought a transformer, perfect.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 31 Mar 2015 15:32 by Homer (Kevin).

More
31 Mar 2015 15:42 #9 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Re: voltage. Please check link.
www.theaquariumsolution.com/ai-hydra-twentysix%E2%84%A2

It is designed to work at 110-240V
"Universal Input Range: 100 to 240VAC / 50 to 60Hz"

Hope this helps..Otherwise i need a refund! LOL..

More
31 Mar 2015 16:20 #10 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Was just about to message you kev...!!! You still running yours with the step up step down...?

Tetdiscus - cheers for that, really considering get one.

Was reading up on the AI prime led, looks to be the business. Really good price and no need for a controller it come with WiFi build in so you can controll it from an app on your phone

More
31 Mar 2015 16:25 #11 by Homer (Kevin)
Hey Alan, Louis on this forum bought it from me and it wasn't too long ago he was on here and stistiill going and that was a few years ago that I sold it to him. Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
31 Mar 2015 19:43 #12 by carlowchris (chris)
Hi Alan ..when I looked into buying the leds for my tank.I also loooked at buying from America....great saving but if it is stopped by customs you'll have to pay taxes on it and then the savings isn't that great........but the thing that really swung me buying local instead was if goes faulty you'l have to post back to America then they'll charge you delivery back to Ireland again .....regardless of weather it's in warrenty or not..

My personal experience is buying cheap stuff from America is worth the risk but those less aren't cheap so sometimes buying local and having some back up is worth paying extra.

More
31 Mar 2015 19:53 #13 by Homer (Kevin)
Hey, all I do is just remove the packaging, shake some dust from a rug etc, take the wires from their wrapping and straighten them, I have brought Bose speakers and etc back and never a problem and was even stopped and Told the guy they were used.

Kev.

More
01 Apr 2015 10:29 #14 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hi dude we do a lot of leds that will not break the bank at Aquatic Village. The arcadia strecth are getting great reviews we sell a lot of them customers leaving positive feedback on our facebook page......they are pretty cool i have one 120 cm lighting up my whole 8 foot tank....we also do leds that are up to 3 m long....come with controllers and can be placed 1 cm from water surface......freshwater and marine.........and all come with warranty etc.....I have 150 leds arriving today to completely change over my fish house...i am a year waiting ...if one more flourescent blinks and goes out ill scream.....my tanks are like gappy teeth.... but now the wait is over.......

Hope this helps.....

Ian
Aquatic Village.

www.facebook.com/pages/Aquatic-Village/124660247573013

More
01 Apr 2015 21:52 #15 by ger310 (Ger .)

I brought home a Marine land Led unit from Canada, where I am right now

Well that explains why i didn't get a text back off yeh Kev lol.........Let me know when your back (if your coming back!!) and i'll pop up for them things off yeh ok,cheers.

Sorry for scribbling on your post Alkiely!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
01 Apr 2015 21:58 #16 by louis (David Knowles)
And it's still goin Kev. Delighted with it.

More
01 Apr 2015 22:30 #17 by Homer (Kevin)
Wow, brilliant, does it grow plants?

Kev.

More
01 Apr 2015 22:48 #18 by Homer (Kevin)
Hi Ger,

Yep, in Canada due to a family illness, I should be around from the tenth,

Bin those water bills!!!

Kev.

More
02 Apr 2015 08:51 #19 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Yo dude are u asking me or one of the others? If its me yea they grow plants....if you want you can add a second module to the task.......i think they are super for the price range......
Ian
But we also do jmb aqualights.......with controllers.....

Ian

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds