Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

T5 LEDs

More
30 Jan 2015 14:29 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Does anyone know of juwel length T5 LEDs? I have only seen aqualantis and they are kinda crazy expensive at €300 for 1047mm

Thx
Q

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2015 07:45 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Replied by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers) on topic T5 LEDs
I found these on another site for half the price. They suggest that one 36w LED replaces two 36w T5s. Do you think one of these would be enough to grow plants?

Rgds
Dec

More
04 Feb 2015 08:27 #3 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic T5 LEDs
Something like this may work for you.
www.satisled.com/led-fluorescent-light-l...th-fixture_p219.html
Led are much stronger around 3:1 ratio in some cases and maybe more in others.
If you want good growth on plants i would also have a co2 sytem which is controlled carefully as ph can drop fast if not . small amount will help greatly. Also led controllers can be very useful as you can adjust the intenseity of the led throughout the day.
www.dx.com/p/tc420-1-4-led-programmable-...v-140cm-cable-269307
DX.COM is most likely the cheaper of those 2 websites also ebay may have something for you. Personally i would go with Standard LED not T5 ones.What size your tank is will have an effect and also what types of plants and there light requirements.
Good luck with your project.I will find a video i have of my old planted aquairum i had setup to give you an idea of the growth i had. But bear in mind cleaning can be much tougher if you dont have a good CUC /Clean up crew.

More
04 Feb 2015 10:23 #4 by fishhope (pat)
Replied by fishhope (pat) on topic T5 LEDs
hello have u got a link to what u found at half the price please,i am thinking of getting the aqualantis one myself?

More
04 Feb 2015 10:25 #5 by fishhope (pat)
Replied by fishhope (pat) on topic T5 LEDs
i have see the Aquatlantis Easy LED 1047 mm - 52 W at 180 euro on one site

More
04 Feb 2015 10:51 #6 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic T5 LEDs
The light you described looked good for fresh water :-) Nice price also.

More
04 Feb 2015 11:37 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx ceech

3:1 would suggest a single LED can replace my 2 T5s.

I think I will save my pennies and when the T5s need replacing get a 36w LED.

130 for the 742mm 36w LED and 60 for the controller isn't too bad as I will half the running cost and I won't need 2 T5s every 9 months

Prices vary so much another site had the 742mm for 260

More
04 Feb 2015 12:24 - 04 Feb 2015 12:28 #8 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@fishhope
I'll PM you the link but it looks like you have the same site
Last edit: 04 Feb 2015 12:28 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds