Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

uv sterilizer

More
01 Aug 2015 10:06 #1 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Hi everyone
I need to get a 5 w uv sterilizer for one of my tanks.
It is a 30 litres and it is filtered by an airpowered sponge filter.
Could someone recommend a brand or model ?
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2015 11:49 - 01 Aug 2015 12:54 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic uv sterilizer
Anthony,
Just thought I would mention that the only UV units I've ever had any dealings with have been 'contained' units where water is passed over the (sealed) Ultra Violet light source in a unit with water in-and-outlets and as such could really only be used with a power filter. Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm 'of an age' and am ready to concede that more modern technology happens now - but the whole point should be, I think, that all the UV light should be contained within the 'capsule' as, I believe that source is harmful to one's (and, by association our fish's) eyesight. But, my suspicion would be that the passage of water by airlift mightn't be sufficient - plus the bubbles might interrupt the effectiveness of the UV, although this mightn't be fully accurate.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to shed some more light (awful, unintended pun) on this?

For the record, I have an internal filter which incorporates a UV lamp but this is - sadly - unnamed. I do note, however, that several types are available still online, I'm sure I saw one last time I was in Seahorse too.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2015 12:54 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling

More
01 Aug 2015 14:11 #3 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Thanks John
I saw one internal filter on seahorse website who has a built in 5 watts uv bulb but they dont mention the size, i was gonna use it in my 30 litres but with already a filter and a heater it is gonna be a very tight fit i think...
I need a unit that seats outside of the tank and which doesnt break the bank ;)

More
02 Aug 2015 17:15 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Use an external uv unit and use a small pump to circulate the water to it and back to the tank again
I done this once in the past and it worked alright

More
02 Aug 2015 17:25 #5 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Thanks hammie
I rang seahorse yesterday and they told me i could use the same system that you did but between the pump and the uv unit it was coming at 140-150 euros.
Another option would be an external with built in uv which will cost around 100.
Considering i already have the filters, i will probably get a small internal one due to the cost.

More
02 Aug 2015 20:47 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
The steriliser I had was from an old small pond project a mate tried and broke down, the pump was a powerheads with the hose bate onto the end of it
Wish I still had it, it was handy

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds