Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

stocking

More
27 Aug 2015 14:51 #31 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic stocking
Huge shoal of Congo tetras would look class

Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2015 20:26 #32 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Replied by murph (Tony Murphy) on topic stocking
The SA tank would be my ideal.
50 or so ottos.
50 or so smallish corys (Pandas etc (Orange/green lazers even?)). A few pairs farlowella/sturisoma type cats. 20 or so checkerboards to stir things up down under. Something bank-dwelling like zebras could be nice in one spot?
200 or so embers. 100 or so neons. 100 or so glowlights.
50 mini hatchets. 20 marble hatchets. 10 leaf fish.
While Altums are nice, plants tend not to get on with their water requirements. 10-20 wild/f1 sacalare would work in this tank(provided enough vegetation is provided for the smaller fish to escape to. Something like close cropped hedge branches work quite well to keep the angels at bay).
To finish off the dark corners, 50 weitzmanni tetras (note: whitespot meds KILL them) and 10 appistos.

More
29 Aug 2015 09:14 #33 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

The SA tank would be my ideal.
50 or so ottos.
50 or so smallish corys (Pandas etc (Orange/green lazers even?)). A few pairs farlowella/sturisoma type cats. 20 or so checkerboards to stir things up down under. Something bank-dwelling like zebras could be nice in one spot?
200 or so embers. 100 or so neons. 100 or so glowlights.
50 mini hatchets. 20 marble hatchets. 10 leaf fish.
While Altums are nice, plants tend not to get on with their water requirements. 10-20 wild/f1 sacalare would work in this tank(provided enough vegetation is provided for the smaller fish to escape to. Something like close cropped hedge branches work quite well to keep the angels at bay).
To finish off the dark corners, 50 weitzmanni tetras (note: whitespot meds KILL them) and 10 appistos.

One of my long time hopes would be seeing a shop keeping 50 Weitmanni tetras alive long enough to be netted (alive) and in decent enough condition to be able to have the option of buying 50 ;)

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
29 Aug 2015 12:28 #34 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Replied by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley) on topic stocking
Never heard of them before. I just looked them up. Nowthat sounds like a great project :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
29 Aug 2015 14:25 #35 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic stocking
I think JoeMc had a post up about these a while back. Smashing looking fish

Eric

More
29 Aug 2015 19:05 #36 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Replied by murph (Tony Murphy) on topic stocking
I have a feeling that acquiring 50 is a bit optomistic for the weitzmannis, but over time, who knows The time I got them, they were fairly new in to the shop. 6 of the 10 I got survived and took flake (don't believe everything you read). However, a stupid introduction a few months later brought whitespot to the tank. They don't like the meds at all, and died within a couple of hours (I wouldn't mind, i only used a half dose....).
If anyone does get them, they like embers and especially glowlights for friends. Without the confidince these give, they never venture out from under their favourite leaf. (They absolutely hate bright light. Even in a darkish tank, they still need plant cover to feel safe. They are also as skittish about sudden light changes as hatchets. Think gradual light build-up for them).
Despite their issues, when they get over their fright stage and get confident, their colouring is amazing. Well worth the effort.

Oh, they only eat pink/red/orange flake. Make sure there is something else in the tank to eat the rest...

More
06 Sep 2015 10:18 #37 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic stocking
Wow mossy, what a tank and what a mind boggling choice you can have. For me I'd go rainbow fish and Congo tetra, with crayfish onthe bottom, african butterfly fish on the surface, go wild on the planting and roots.

More
19 Oct 2015 18:35 #38 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Replied by dubdero (derek kearns) on topic stocking
Group of caribe pirhanias

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds