Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

I've made another c**kup

More
23 Nov 2015 23:51 #1 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Seems Iay have inadvertently screwed up one of the house electrical sockets....
Full story.... I bought a couple of Jaboe rw 15 wave makers from a guy up north (1200 - 15000 lph or something) my hydors just weren't enough and are kinda just spinning causing no effect around the tank! So anyway long story short, I decided to take out the 4 individual small useless units and replace with 1 rw-15 this evening! 4 units coming out (wiring as tidy as always) and caught behind one of the spray bars! No hassle there unseat the spray bar and release the cable, (done ...... now for the c**kup) turn to answer herself and accidentally tly lift the spray bar out of the water for about 1 maybe 2 seconds...... water down the back of the tank and hit the electrical socket!!!!! Now socket not working right!!!! I know you lot aren't as bloody stupid as me, but anyone done this before? Is replacing the socket face plate the only option? Or do they dry out and work properly again normally?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2015 03:41 #2 by paulv (paul vickers)
Did the fuse trip when the socket got wet?, I'd isolate the socket by flicking down the fuse, open the socket front pull it forward a little and use a hair dryer to dry the wiring. It should be fine.

More
24 Nov 2015 07:57 #3 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Should be fine when it dries out Neil....
Pauls hair drier idea is a good one also....
Turn off the power before ya go near it...
Take the two screws out and gently pull the face plate away from the wall...
Dry in behind it really well...

Just make sure the power is OFF before doing any of this...

More
24 Nov 2015 18:21 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Going to just replace the sockets later
Easiest and safest all round I think

More
24 Nov 2015 18:23 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Yes trip switch went but fuse was fine
Turned it back on and all was fine

More
24 Nov 2015 22:17 #6 by carlowchris (chris)
:ohmy:

socket should be fine once it dries out......but if ya really want to change it for peace of mind....less than a tenner in b&q for a new one

rw15 will certainly get the water moving

More
24 Nov 2015 23:01 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
All changed and happier to use now again
Completely happy it's safe now...... wouldn't take a chance with 3 young kids in the house!!!!

Chris the rw-15 is bloody savage, I haven't turned it up even to half way yet!
I bought 2 of them on the cheap from a lad in the north.... only put 1 of them in my tank so there's one here if you want to give it a go and see what ya think!!! Just gimme a buzz and let me know

More
26 Nov 2015 23:00 #8 by carlowchris (chris)
cheers might take ya up on that.... :whistle:

did ya try putting the other one in tooo??????

More
26 Nov 2015 23:13 #9 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
God no mate
I'd say putting 2 of them into the tank would be enough to split a seal

Bare in mind the rw-15 can push up to 15000l
So 2 of them in a 3ft would be a bit of a nutty thing to do

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds