Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Some pics of my fish & tanks

More
01 Apr 2014 20:13 - 01 Apr 2014 20:20 #1 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
just starting with new lens - this is the first usable pic!

Thorichtys maculpinnis

:whistle:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2014 20:20 by JohnH (John). Reason: Inserted picture

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2014 20:22 - 01 Apr 2014 20:32 #2 by JohnH (John)
Jim,
Changed pb link to image in the post.
That's a nice fish, from what I've managed to find out the maculpinnis is actually a synonym for eliotti. It certainly looks like the eliotti I have here so maybe that might be right
Did you buy it/them as maculpinnis?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2014 20:32 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
01 Apr 2014 21:33 #3 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Thanks John - just getting to grips with some of this . . . .

Yes he's an ellioti - I had read that ellioti is the synonym and maculpinnis is now considered correct species name (but that could change every 5 mins!!)

He killed his mate, so I'm growing out some new partners for him and readying some dithers in a 200L just for them.

More
01 Apr 2014 21:36 - 01 Apr 2014 21:38 #4 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
These are my cutters cichlids with fry. The first batch seemed to need very small first food, so for their next spawn, I put them into a tank where a large thorichthys aureus had been redecorating with no SAE or plecs etc and let the moss grow. Water parameters are fine and the fry now swarm all over alll the algal growth - hopefully picking up lots of microscopic food until I can get them onto something larger (that was the plan, anyway).

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2014 21:38 by Jim (Jim Lawlor).

More
01 Apr 2014 21:42 - 01 Apr 2014 21:45 #5 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)

wild Bolivian Ram
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2014 21:45 by Jim (Jim Lawlor).

More
01 Apr 2014 22:43 #6 by JohnH (John)
Nice sharp pics Jim - what's the new lens?

John

ITFS member.

More
01 Apr 2014 22:55 #7 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
It's a Nikon micro-nikkor 105mm f/2.8

I don't fully understand all of that - but it's a fairly nice lens for close-ups and small subjects (you can see the pollen on the hairs of bumble bees!) only thing is it seems to demand a lot of light, more than I have in most of my tanks.

More
01 Apr 2014 23:04 #8 by JohnH (John)
A nice lens alright, have you tried increasing the ISO to compensate?
I know this creates 'noise', but for Forum use it isn't too critical.

John

ITFS member.

More
01 Apr 2014 23:10 #9 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
I'll start experimenting with that next - I wanted to see how far I could push it- really pleased with what it's capable of. Maybe I'll setup a lighting system like we used to see on the posts from Mo Devlin (Aquamojo)

More
01 Apr 2014 23:40 #10 by JohnH (John)
Denis (tanks-a-lot) used to use a very basic lighting set-up using something like an anglepoise lamp.

Somewhere I have the nucleus of the excellent talk which Daragh Owens did for an ITFS meeting, I keep meaning to paraphrase it and put it up on the Forum.
Daragh's fish photography is 'legendary' and I'm sure that everyone could benefit from his advice and suggestions.

Now, where did I put it???

John

ITFS member.

More
24 Jun 2014 20:49 - 24 Jun 2014 20:50 #11 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
I know I leave big gaps between updates . . . .

I decided I didnt like the texas holey rock / coral sand style of my tang tank - so tried to make it more natural, with rounded boulders and grey sand - rebuilt the whole setup in a 300l. Need to replace the green intakes with black (thoese green ones really stand out).

fish are 6x lamprologus ocellatus blue, 6 x neolamprologus brichardi and 4 wild synodontis petricola
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Jun 2014 20:50 by Jim (Jim Lawlor).

More
24 Jun 2014 20:53 #12 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Agree with you, this rocks looks better than the others and the setup is more natural.

More
24 Jun 2014 20:56 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i love the big round rocks and I daresay it's closer to the actual look of the lake. I bet you were sweating putting them in; if not from lifting them, then from fear of dropping one! :pinch:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
24 Jun 2014 21:12 #14 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)

i love the big round rocks and I daresay it's closer to the actual look of the lake. I bet you were sweating putting them in; if not from lifting them, then from fear of dropping one! :pinch:

I was absolutely bricking it!

I actually only added the ones on the left after the territories for the brichardi's didnt work out - so had to put it in with the ocellatus attacking my arms. They dont break the skin but they really put you off

More
25 Jun 2014 23:06 #15 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Loving the Cutteri tank. It must of took ages to grow the algae for them. :laugh:
I'm sure there will be plenty of microorganisms for the fry to feed on. Very cleaver.

The Brichardi's tank looks fantastic. A nice breath of fresh air compared to most lake Tanganyika setups.
With a bit of aging it will look incredibly natural. I'd love to see it in 6-12 months time.

More
26 Jun 2014 07:38 #16 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
some lovely fish and great photos....
If you have to increase the ISO then you can always run the photo thru a program like ISO magic that helps to reduce the noise again once the photo has been taken!!!

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds