Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hi All !

More
03 Nov 2013 16:09 #1 by proca (Peter)
Hi All ! was created by proca (Peter)
Hello everybody.

I started my fish keeping adventure when i was a kid (11 or 12). My dream then was to have a proper fish room, anfortunatly i run out of enthusiasm after about a year.
Now, 20 years after i'm back in business :) Last year my girlfriend unconscious of my youth dream bought me beta male (she name him Leon) for my birthday and said we'll keep him in 5L. wine glass :lol: 2 weeks after we borrowed 15L. plastic kid set. After another 4 weeks Leon got new home, 200L. tank which is my main tank now, but not only one ;) In last 15 months i was hooked in planted tanks. In april this year i found a real bargain, 7 tanks of total volume 680L. (3x 160L + 2X 70L cubic + 1x 60L cubic) plus two boxes of staff for as little as 250 euro, couldn't miss it. My girlfriend was :ohmy: when i get back from trip to Dublin :laugh:
In the meantime i bought 2 x 54L. tanks for 60 euro. Also 60 sheets of 6mm glass (82cm x 42cm) from Dublin (diesel + glass = 100 euro) which will give me another 12-14 90L. tanks.
Thanks Gog our house is big enough, there is 2 living rooms and one of them will become a fish room within next few months :cheer: WHO SAID DREAMS DOESN'T COME TRUE??? ;)

At the moment 6 tanks are in use, 200L. main tank in living room planted with Leon, 30 neons, 6 clown loaches and 3 sucking louches, and upstairs temporary 160L. planted, 2x 54L. + 60 +70 as a farm for in-vitro plants all powered with 7kg co2 bottle and DIY ferts. I have around 20 species of plants at the moment.
Pictures and more info about progres on fish room soon. ;)

Regards

Peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2013 16:57 #2 by dave k (david)
Replied by dave k (david) on topic Hi All !
Welcome along Peter, I must say you have alot going on love too see a few pictures off the tanks....

Dave.

.·´¯`·.. >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>
>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>

More
03 Nov 2013 19:47 #3 by Mr B (C B)
Replied by Mr B (C B) on topic Hi All !
Newly joined myself. Welcome.

More
03 Nov 2013 21:59 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Hi All !
Your a cute leitrim lad comin up to the big smoke grabing the bargin of the year :cool: . Great introduction story. Welcome to the forum.

More
03 Nov 2013 22:06 #5 by proca (Peter)
Replied by proca (Peter) on topic Hi All !
My main tank, a bit messy at the moment.

Temporary fish room (upstairs)

160L.

My little farm.

More
03 Nov 2013 22:09 - 03 Nov 2013 22:20 #6 by proca (Peter)
Some more tanks to use :) 160L. long + 160L. + 70L. cubic

... and some more glass to build some more tanks ;)

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Nov 2013 22:20 by proca (Peter).

More
03 Nov 2013 22:12 #7 by proca (Peter)

Your a cute leitrim lad comin up to the big smoke grabing the bargin of the year :cool: .

Sooorrrryyyy :P

More
04 Nov 2013 00:07 #8 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic Hi All !
Hey mate welcome to the forum
that's some collection you have there nice 1 get me more pictures!!! :D

Regards,

SM

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
06 Nov 2013 23:50 #9 by kaki alkaki (jenasky)
Replied by kaki alkaki (jenasky) on topic Hi All !
lovely aquariums...

welcome!

More
07 Nov 2013 01:02 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Replied by irish-zx10r (James feenan) on topic Hi All !
very nice thats my next adventure getting plants to grow :laugh:

Something fishie going on here

More
07 Nov 2013 22:00 #11 by proca (Peter)
thank you for welcome
i'll start setting up my fish room soon so will keep updated on progres

Regards

Peter

More
07 Nov 2013 22:30 #12 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Hi All !
Wow!

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
14 Nov 2013 01:04 #13 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic Hi All !
Hi welcome to the forum beautiful tanks bit worried about having so much weight up stairs doh know a friend Of a friend who did this and lost everything including the tv and couch Which his partner still go's on about some 10yrs later (I think the moaning of the 10+yrs is worse)

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
14 Nov 2013 08:01 #14 by proca (Peter)

Hi welcome to the forum beautiful tanks bit worried about having so much weight up stairs doh know a friend Of a friend who did this and lost everything including the tv and couch Which his partner still go's on about some 10yrs later (I think the moaning of the 10+yrs is worse)

THX for advice, i'm worried about it as well :whistle: that's why i'm setting up fish room down stairs as soon as posible

by the way, does anyone know how much weight 9x2 ceiling can hold, (room - 4,5m x 2m, 9x2 going across every 60cm, 18mm OSB + soild timber floor on top) ???

More
14 Nov 2013 09:00 #15 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Welcome proca, some lovely looking tanks you have there!

Andreas

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds