Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new fish keeper.

More
01 Aug 2014 07:39 - 02 Aug 2014 14:04 #1 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)

Hello everyone. Im very new to the hobby and brave too :blink: (to start with discus! and they are doing well)..thought I'd introduce myself..

I have a tropical low tech tank. Its an Optiwhite 140x60x60 504 L

I use a HMA (heavy metal Axe) filter with 3 pods using sediment/Penteck/Chlorpus filters

My filtration is an external canister (Jbl cristalprofi greenline e1501) upgrading to fluval fx6 soon.

My other bits are jbl prosilent a200, Eheim jager 300w heater, 1 small Arcadia Blue led for night light.

My lighting is T5 54w x4.

I keep Discus. Blue ram. Cardinal tetra. Rummy nose tetra. Siamese algae eaters.

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 14:04 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy). Reason: updates.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2014 12:50 #2 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
looks well :)
I'd think about reducing the lights on :)

More
01 Aug 2014 13:32 #3 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
I was informed that up to 12- 14 hours for planted tank is good?

More
01 Aug 2014 15:53 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Welcome to the forum tetdiscus.

Anthony

More
01 Aug 2014 16:13 #5 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
if you don't have any algae problems, then its fine but I find anything the 5-8 hours a day is recommended if you do develop algae problems :)

I use 6 hours 5pm-11pm
and weekends its 10am to 11pm

More
01 Aug 2014 17:18 #6 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
love the setup
welcome to the forum
question where did you get the HMA filter and are you aging the water or is it going staight to the tank?

More
01 Aug 2014 17:39 #7 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Thank you. I got the HMA filter from ro-man. There are other sellers in uk for HMA but the shipping cost is at £40 at least. I dont age the filtered water because there is no need for it. The heavy sediments, chlorine and chloramine are filtered by the HMA 3 pod system. The filtered water goes straight into the tank at the rate of around 1 liter per minute (any faster makes the temp low) i adjust the rate sometimes depending on the water temperature.

The outgoing water is plummed straight to the drain. It's a trickle filing tank system. Im also aware that part of the new water going in also comes out, BUT the system saves me a lot of back ache and wet floors! And i can do water change every day with less trouble.

More
01 Aug 2014 17:42 #8 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Thank you, im taking notes :cool:

More
01 Aug 2014 22:14 #9 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I've read somewhere that too much light can be the result of black beard algae as well as other types of algae. Tank looks good and I agree you are brave I'm going nearly 4 years now and still haven't been brave enough to try discus (although I don't think I ever will due to water charges soon).

Look into information on lighting times. Some of the forum members are really knowledgable when it comes to plants and lights they may be able to explain why less lighting is better it's to do with plants absorbing the nutrients to out compete algae.

Welcome to the forum keep us posted as I'd like to see it when plants grow in abit more I like your small army of Siamese algae eaters :lol: .

Cheers,
Joe

More
01 Aug 2014 22:35 #10 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Hi thank you for replying. I bought 3 books regarding plants..lol..anyway, from what I understand its got something to do with balancing nutrients/lighting. Also brown/black algae is very common in new tanks (which iam), Iam keeping an eye on it though, everyday. I'll see how long I last :sick:

PS..lights are now decreased to 10H/day...see how it goes..

More
01 Aug 2014 22:45 - 02 Aug 2014 08:05 #11 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

I've read somewhere that too much light can be the result of black beard algae as well as other types of algae. Tank looks good and I agree you are brave I'm going nearly 4 years now and still haven't been brave enough to try discus (although I don't think I ever will due to water charges soon).

Look into information on lighting times. Some of the forum members are really knowledgable when it comes to plants and lights they may be able to explain why less lighting is better it's to do with plants absorbing the nutrients to out compete algae.

Welcome to the forum keep us posted as I'd like to see it when plants grow in abit more I like your small army of Siamese algae eaters :lol: .

Cheers,
Joe

The water change thing for discus is exagerated: daily water changes when you try to grow juveniles and that is because you are fouling the water with many feedings and the only way you can keep nitrates low is replacing the water. I am doing loads because I have juveniles in all my tanks. Common sense would be to put all juveniles in one tank and adults in others so that I would change loads of water on one tank only, but i have kept things the same because they are from different origins and dont want to take the risk that one type will share a pathogen with another type.

If you have adult grown discus and your tank is not overstocked, then you can feed like any other fish and you should have no issues. The hobby needs more discus keepers!
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 08:05 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire).

More
01 Aug 2014 23:01 #12 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
p.s. I dont think my plants will grow any time soon. As they are the hardy and slow growing ones...

More
01 Aug 2014 23:30 #13 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
That's some interesting information thanks for that I'll consider adults if that's the case. Could be a few months as I'm hoping to move (again). I've about 100+ pleco, 8 Cory's (spawn regularly egg eater is gone) 5 gourami and 3 angels so I'm overstocked at the min adding discus will be asking for problems when I move. They are lovely looking fish.
Apologies for off topic tetdiscus.

Try 6 to 10 hours rather than 14.

More
02 Aug 2014 00:01 #14 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I taught that too but with enough light you will be surprised with how quick java fern and Vallis grows. Last month my Vallis grew 2 foot in 2 weeks it might only have been 4 or 5 leaves but it was still enough to have me amazed.

Are you dosing co2?

More
02 Aug 2014 08:12 #15 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Thank you. I got the HMA filter from ro-man. There are other sellers in uk for HMA but the shipping cost is at £40 at least. I dont age the filtered water because there is no need for it. The heavy sediments, chlorine and chloramine are filtered by the HMA 3 pod system. The filtered water goes straight into the tank at the rate of around 1 liter per minute (any faster makes the temp low) i adjust the rate sometimes depending on the water temperature.

The outgoing water is plummed straight to the drain. It's a trickle filing tank system. Im also aware that part of the new water going in also comes out, BUT the system saves me a lot of back ache and wet floors! And i can do water change every day with less trouble.

This is exactly where I am heading, although with multiple tanks. I did get a "declorinating filter unit made of 3 tall 20 inch cartridges. But it did not include the Chlorplus one so this will be my next purchase and i will simply add it to the line up. That water will be better than what I drink today :). My whole headeache consists in getting that trickle/drip system to feed all/most of my tanks so that I can take a break and look at the fish from time to time :). I was worried about the temperature but I guess regulating the flow would solve that. Do you use a flow meter? you mention 1 liter per minute What about PH? Isn't it affected too much?

More
02 Aug 2014 08:47 - 02 Aug 2014 08:48 #16 by Discus-Killester (Sinisa)
Hi,

Great looking tank, nice discus too! :cool:

Welcome to the forum!

Sina
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 08:48 by Discus-Killester (Sinisa).

More
02 Aug 2014 09:28 - 02 Aug 2014 09:32 #17 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Miami

Looks like you have a similar auto water change setup like mine,
For flow control this is what I use, took me months to find something like this.

Can't get the eBay link thing to work. So here's the direct one

www.ebay.ie/itm/121176303484?redirect=mobile

Bah, even that's not working.....

Try this...
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 09:32 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
02 Aug 2014 09:45 #18 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
I did not get a flow meter, because it was for stronger flow rate. I just used a timer ;-) (actually, my husband is the handy man)..The tap PH is around 7. Almost same as my tank, with little varying difference at times (6.8-7.2). Averaging around 7.

It must be a pain for you doing a lot of water change in all your tanks?

More
02 Aug 2014 09:50 #19 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Thank you. A couple of my discus are already showing interest with each other. The blue diamond and the F1. Though, im not ready for any breeding activity anytime soon!

More
02 Aug 2014 09:54 #20 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
No, not yet dosing co2.

More
02 Aug 2014 11:13 #21 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

I did not get a flow meter, because it was for stronger flow rate. I just used a timer ;-) (actually, my husband is the handy man)..The tap PH is around 7. Almost same as my tank, with little varying difference at times (6.8-7.2). Averaging around 7.

It must be a pain for you doing a lot of water change in all your tanks?

Got it. Thanks for the details. I do a lot of water changes and I have 3 barrels totalling roughly 500L in which I age my water. I have pumps and hoses and i connect these pumps to remote controlled plugs/outlets so i can monitor levels and start/stop pumps . So i barely use buckets (only to siphon fecies from bottom of tanks). But still that means dealing with putting the put in, unrolling the hoses all over the apartment (everyday), put them back when I am done . Sounds easy but each time you deal with this no matter how careful you are there is water on the floor, so you have to mop ... And it's unsightly...
All this is complicated because I am on and 8th floor, barrels are kept inside (just moving them to laundry room where i accomodated some space).
It's messy and it's getting me tired, I love the fish so I am trying to find practical solutions yet they must be flexible: I am renting so I cant be drilling holes, attaching pipes to walls etc etc

I "seem" to have a huge PH difference between tap and tank (7.5 to 6.6/6.8) and this is where I am afraid to put water directly in tanks, at the same time if the flow is good for temperature then it may be good as well for PH differences as the changes would be slow.

More
02 Aug 2014 12:32 #22 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Yes, It can get tedious at times. It maybe worth a try doing the trickle filtered water, as long as its gradual and consistent? When you do do that keep us posted? Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds