Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hi all! New cichlid keeper

More
10 Jul 2015 15:57 #1 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Hello to all fish heads :cool: . Something about me- I have been cichlid keeper long time, back in Slovakia ( yes I'm foreigner ;) ) but got rid of the set up (350l, 150l, 2x 120l and few 20l for new fry) as I left country. I got 100l tank after coming to lepricon country and recently decided to upgrade to 260l juwel vision. Not much going on in the tank- 3x pleco, 3x leleupi, 2x frontosa and one Oscar ( most fish came with tank). Hoping to get more in soon, but don't want to overstock it.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2015 16:07 #2 by stevebreslin (Stephen Breslin)
You sound very experienced :) Good luck with your new tank!

Hello to all fish heads :cool: . Something about me- I have been cichlid keeper long time, back in Slovakia ( yes I'm foreigner ;) ) but got rid of the set up (350l, 150l, 2x 120l and few 20l for new fry) as I left country. I got 100l tank after coming to lepricon country and recently decided to upgrade to 260l juwel vision. Not much going on in the tank- 3x pleco, 3x leleupi, 2x frontosa and one Oscar ( most fish came with tank). Hoping to get more in soon, but don't want to overstock it.

More
10 Jul 2015 17:05 #3 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Haha thanks, well I did some cichlid breeding during my college years, but that's long time now. I don't know how is the market here but maybe I will start again if I have time and there is some demand..

More
10 Jul 2015 17:54 #4 by alan 64 (alan)
Welcome Slovak enjoy the fish keeping and the free water here in Ireland is a great plus

More
10 Jul 2015 18:23 #5 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Thanks Alan, haha "free" water

More
10 Jul 2015 18:47 #6 by alan 64 (alan)
Yea it's great I use around 4-5 hundred litres a week on the tanks and it's all free so u are welcome to our water mate to keep ur fish nice and healthy

More
11 Jul 2015 09:25 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Hi and welcome we love plenty of photos and videos of your progress sounds like u have plenty of experience

Something fishie going on here

More
11 Jul 2015 09:49 #8 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Hi and thanks. I will do my best to contribute. My leleupi are currently spawning so I will post some video and photos.

More
28 Jul 2015 18:03 #9 by Robbied12 (Robbie Duffy)
Well along to the forum

More
28 Jul 2015 18:38 #10 by ger310 (Ger .)
Welcome to the Leprechaun forum dude :)

What Pleco's do yeh have in there? and was putting that Oscar in with them Tanganyikans your idea or did they all come with the tank? very odd mix i must say ha.......all the best :)

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
28 Jul 2015 21:27 #11 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

Welcome to the Leprechaun forum dude :)

What Pleco's do yeh have in there? and was putting that Oscar in with them Tanganyikans your idea or did they all come with the tank? very odd mix i must say ha.......all the best :)

Ger

Thanks Ger,

No tangany fish came with tank. Oscar was mine. I have already separated leleupi and swaped frontosa. Will do more changes but waiting for some stuff, will post project later.

Plecos are 2x sailfin and one bristlenose.

Tom

More
30 Jul 2015 21:16 #12 by ger310 (Ger .)
Happy days :).......So what's the plan for the 260L now?...are you going to stay South American with your Oscar as the main man? .........i can see part of him behind wood and he looks young so maybe some other fairly aggressive young fish in there would be fun (well until they outgrow it of course!!).........Jaguar,Jack Dempsey,Texas,Green Terror Cichlids hmmmmmm

Leleupi's are super fish and are defo up in my top 10 of fish i like...........i kept a few with a large group of Tropheus and it's still my all time favourite set up (will be going back to something similar soon i hope)...........As i'm sure you have noticed like most Cichlids they can get really aggressive when spawning occurs so probably wise to separate them (Keep us posted on this please)

Ger

More
31 Jul 2015 07:59 #13 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Yes Ger, plan is SA set up. I already got albino Oscar and JD, I wanted electric blue but didn't noticed guy just sold me regular. Red terror or red devil are also on list but don't want to overstock. I also got decent size rainbow shark and 3 clown loaches.

Leleupi's will stay in 100l so they can spawn there. I wish to buy bigger tank for them but at later stage.

Tom

More
31 Jul 2015 16:16 #14 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
you would need a big tank to keep red terrors and they will only tolerate some fish
your oscar wouldn't last two minutes with the red terrors you should go with ger310 advice
maybe green terrors with your oscar two jd the jaguar is another hard fish to keep unless you have a big tank
once they start to grow they like to pick on fish and can stress them out.

Something fishie going on here

More
31 Jul 2015 19:55 #15 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Thanks zx10. I'm aware of that and planning to upgrade to bigger tank in future.

I heard of red terror being aggressive, I wasn't sure how much. I new to SA setup, most of my experience was Malawi and tanganjika so any advice is appreciated. I will go for electric blue JD for now.

Tom

More
31 Jul 2015 20:51 #16 by ger310 (Ger .)
Hi Tom,i really don't want to sound like an ass here but if your truely setting up a SA tank your going about it the wrong way.........That Rainbow shark and them Clown loaches are from the other side of the world to SA....Even JD's originated from Central America (really feeling like your thinking i'm an ass now ha).

I've only kept the EBJD's for maybe 5-6 weeks as i had to move it on due to the harassment it was getting from other similar sized fish,especially when the lights came on which led me to believe that that electric blue colour was just a constant in the other fishes eyes and led to attack attack attack!!!

I've never kept either the Red Terror or a Red Devil but i have personally seen the destruction a Red Terror can do in a friends tank so i'm totally with James on these fella's!!!

100L is fine for a breeding pair of Leleupi Tom so good luck with that :)

Ger

More
01 Aug 2015 11:45 - 01 Aug 2015 11:46 #17 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Haha, no worries Ger :laugh: no bad feelings

I think I made mistake calling it SA setup. What I meant is main guys will be oscars. I want to keep tank live so the reason for other fish. So if no red terror, red devil or ebJD any suggestion on some nice fish which would get along? I read ebJD is aggressive too so though he would be ok with them.

Tom
Last edit: 01 Aug 2015 11:46 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak).

More
03 Aug 2015 11:20 #18 by paulv (paul vickers)
If you're planning a large tank in the future then consider peacock bass and silver arowanna .

More
07 Aug 2015 19:15 #19 by ger310 (Ger .)

Haha, no worries Ger :laugh: no bad feelings

I think I made mistake calling it SA setup. What I meant is main guys will be oscars. I want to keep tank live so the reason for other fish. So if no red terror, red devil or ebJD any suggestion on some nice fish which would get along? I read ebJD is aggressive too so though he would be ok with them.

Tom

The biggest problem you have is space.......260L is fine in the short term so you could go with some of the fish I mentioned in an earlier post (as long as they are young) just as long as you have plenty of cover in there.......The Texas Cichlid in particular I think is a fabulous looking fish but it grows fast and has a bit of a pestering temper aswell so you really have to weigh up if in the short term you can provide plenty of cover and in the longer term a much larger tank with also plenty of cover!! .......Always a chance of deaths when mixing these guys aswell so keep that in mind ok

Ger

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds