Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Shrimp and Oto Keeper

More
25 Aug 2015 21:12 #1 by ThirstyOto (Dan Hodgkin)
Hi All,

My name is Dan, I'm a keeper of Shrimp (chiefly Crystal Reds and Amano/Yamato shrimp). I also keep neon and ember tetras. Been fish-keeping since about 2004, and a brief spell in my childhood (those poor fish - I knew *nothing* back then)!

Been lucky with the Crystal Reds lately. I started with 5 a few months ago (I'd always loved them, but had done my homework and thought them to be very delicate: but recently took the plunge to see if I could keep 5 alive for any length of time...), and at last count had 112 of the little blighters! I absolutely adore them, and they are such lively little characters.

I'd also love to try to breed Oto's, too. I have 5 at the moment, all have been with me for several months and are doing well so far, but I can't find much info on how to breed them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Have a good day!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2015 22:32 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)

More
25 Aug 2015 22:39 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Welcome along...do you freshen up the shrimp stock every so often with outside shrimp to keep the bloodlines strong?

Gavin

More
25 Aug 2015 22:42 - 25 Aug 2015 22:43 #4 by alan 64 (alan)
I havnt cum across any captive Ottos so I'm not sure about the breeding but would love to hear if anyone has more knowledge on this
Last edit: 25 Aug 2015 22:43 by alan 64 (alan). Reason: spelling

More
25 Aug 2015 22:58 - 25 Aug 2015 23:02 #5 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Shrimp and Oto Keeper
Welcome!

I have been to the late Mr. Takashi Amano aquarium in Lisbon, the whole thing is gigantic, he used many Ottos and when I say its big, I mean enormous but what I noticed was, there were no juvenile Ottos, not one so I'd guess breeding them isn't easy.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 25 Aug 2015 23:02 by Homer (Kevin).

More
25 Aug 2015 23:07 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Shrimp and Oto Keeper

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
26 Aug 2015 00:02 #7 by nomad (pat murphy)
Was in a maxi store and they had a species of otto but a much larger size,was amazed to see it .....

More
26 Aug 2015 09:43 #8 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Welcome!

More
26 Aug 2015 09:45 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I know of one keeper who has breed these but i think it was more an occurance than a planned attempt.funnily enough ive 3 ottos and did a stock check every quarter and haven't seen one of them in nearly 5 months,however the other day i spotted all 3 again...he must of been busy cleaning some plant for 5 months!!!!

More
26 Aug 2015 10:46 #10 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
If you manage the ottos your next project is SAEs

More
26 Aug 2015 19:20 #11 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Welcome along Dan :)

More
27 Aug 2015 00:08 #12 by ThirstyOto (Dan Hodgkin)
Hi Gavin,
Thanks for your response and your interest.

I have done this once so far. And just getting a next generation of shrimplets coming through this week, all seem to be doing well, and I'm seeing more berried females. I'm struggling to keep up with them, to be honest!

I'm toying with the notion of introducing a couple of the black bee shrimp (I rather like the black ones too, and kept them for a while when I lived in Glasgow a few years ago). I've read that you generally get around 50/50 red to black offspring, and that it can really help to strengthen the bloodlines for the new red offspring. Ima have to get a new tank though for that, though!

More
27 Aug 2015 14:15 #13 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
By experience when it comes down to shrimps i wouldnt believe anything you can read on the net :hammer:

More
27 Aug 2015 20:34 - 27 Aug 2015 20:56 #14 by ThirstyOto (Dan Hodgkin)
Q Comets:

If you manage the ottos your next project is SAEs

I think that one's a long way off, yet! Wouldn't it be great, though?!
Last edit: 27 Aug 2015 20:56 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added quote

More
27 Aug 2015 20:37 - 27 Aug 2015 20:54 #15 by ThirstyOto (Dan Hodgkin)
Fishowner:

I know of one keeper who has breed these but i think it was more an occurance than a planned attempt.funnily enough ive 3 ottos and did a stock check every quarter and haven't seen one of them in nearly 5 months,however the other day i spotted all 3 again...he must of been busy cleaning some plant for 5 months!!!!

That happens a lot with mine, too! I take a count every evening, and frequently lose track of one or two, sometimes for days at a time, and then they always seem to magically re-appear! The tank is not huge, so I have no idea how they manage this!
Last edit: 27 Aug 2015 20:54 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added quote

More
27 Aug 2015 21:38 #16 by murph (Tony Murphy)
FWIW,
to get ottos breeding, you will need enough food for them (think longer light, lots stones/plants etc,) a lot of them, ideally 10-20, but food becomes problematic then. (Try putting stones in a tank in the window to grow algae, etc, or else put some bright led spots focused on stones in the main tank to keep them green. Spirulana flakes help, if your fish will take them.)
They tend to get friskiest around the equinoxes, given the correct stimulus.
Firstly, soft acid water with a bit of tannin (blackwater extract works).
Lots of plants (but with a central clearing with stones for algae!!). Keep the nutrients up, RO water changes etc (20% weekly, assuming a low load. )
Having a pair of corys in the tank can help with hormones, but they will need removed if the ottos get frisky.
Coming up to the full moon around the equinoxes, reduce water changes to nothing for a month or 2. If your filters/plumbing allow, let the water evaporate to about 2/3s full. Bring the temp up to 26-28. Slowly.
About 5 days after the new moon, add 1/2 tank of cool (18 deg) RO water over 24-48 hours. Ideally in the middle of the afternoon.
Obviously, remove any excess water while doing this........
When the corys shag, remove them. (there should ONLY be ottos in the tank now)
Hopefully, the hormones from the corys will put the ottos in the mood. (They sort of wriggle together and spin around each other in open water, then let eggs fall to substrate/plants)
After this, who knows?
I've never tried too hard with them, (I have gotten them to the mating stage, but in a SA tank with lots of fish that will eat anything. (I was trying to get checkerboards to shag at the time. They did, but are the worst parents in the world.) I'm pretty sure anything produced was eaten.)
They are not paternal, but with food and no predators, some young should survive.

More
28 Aug 2015 08:03 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

FWIW,
to get ottos breeding, you will need enough food for them (think longer light, lots stones/plants etc,) a lot of them, ideally 10-20, but food becomes problematic then. (Try putting stones in a tank in the window to grow algae, etc, or else put some bright led spots focused on stones in the main tank to keep them green. Spirulana flakes help, if your fish will take them.)
They tend to get friskiest around the equinoxes, given the correct stimulus.
Firstly, soft acid water with a bit of tannin (blackwater extract works).
Lots of plants (but with a central clearing with stones for algae!!). Keep the nutrients up, RO water changes etc (20% weekly, assuming a low load. )
Having a pair of corys in the tank can help with hormones, but they will need removed if the ottos get frisky.
Coming up to the full moon around the equinoxes, reduce water changes to nothing for a month or 2. If your filters/plumbing allow, let the water evaporate to about 2/3s full. Bring the temp up to 26-28. Slowly.
About 5 days after the new moon, add 1/2 tank of cool (18 deg) RO water over 24-48 hours. Ideally in the middle of the afternoon.
Obviously, remove any excess water while doing this........
When the corys shag, remove them. (there should ONLY be ottos in the tank now)
Hopefully, the hormones from the corys will put the ottos in the mood. (They sort of wriggle together and spin around each other in open water, then let eggs fall to substrate/plants)
After this, who knows?
I've never tried too hard with them, (I have gotten them to the mating stage, but in a SA tank with lots of fish that will eat anything. (I was trying to get checkerboards to shag at the time. They did, but are the worst parents in the world.) I'm pretty sure anything produced was eaten.)
They are not paternal, but with food and no predators, some young should survive.

Jesus, that sounds complicated! I guess a DVD and a takeaway just doesn't cut it for female otos :woohoo:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
31 Aug 2015 22:10 #18 by ThirstyOto (Dan Hodgkin)
Big Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, and especially for the reams of good advice!
I shall certainly be sticking around these forums more often!

Thanks, guys!

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds