Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Introducing myself

More
29 Aug 2015 11:47 #1 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Hi guys
Just joined this group. Currently have a 120l cold-water setup, my 190l trigon tropical tank burst on me a few months ago :(
I'm getting the bug again and want to go bigger and better. Was looking at a 540l second hand tank, cheap enough but I'm wary about the glass thickness, only 5mm, not being able to hold the water and pressure. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2015 12:37 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
You are right to be wary 5mm is not thick enough your current 120 probably has thicker glass than that.

Welcome

More
29 Aug 2015 12:51 #3 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Welcome to the forum.
Qcomets is right, the glass is not thick enough for a tank that size

More
29 Aug 2015 13:14 #4 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks guys. Looking online, a 540l tank should have between 10-12 glass, is that right?

More
29 Aug 2015 13:23 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Introducing myself
Here's a link which Colin posted some time back - you will have the tank dimensions so I'll leave you to do the maths:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...&catid=14&Itemid=128

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
29 Aug 2015 14:50 #6 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Welcome Baz!

Yea 5mm is way too low for that tank size, it's probably custom made and someone did the calculation wrong :crazy:

Tom

More
30 Aug 2015 01:20 - 07 Sep 2015 22:47 #7 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks guys
Went and had a look at the tank. Someone got their measurements wrong B)
Glass was 12mm thick. Happy days :)
So now the decision-making begins. Tropical or cold water? Sump or a couple of external filters ? Head is spinning with alot of ideas. Going take my time and do it right even if it takes a couple months.
1st pic is what I currently have. 2nd pic is of the 540l tank I bought tonight B)

Attachment DSC_0037~2~2-2.jpg not found

Attachment DSC_0036~2-2.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Sep 2015 22:47 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney). Reason: Adding pics

More
30 Aug 2015 09:47 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Hi and welcome I have a 5ft tank with both a sump and external filter at first everything seems like a hugh step but with the help from all the people here on the forum it makes things that but easyier. Make sure to post photos and ask plenty of questions.

Irish-zx10r

Something fishie going on here

More
30 Aug 2015 23:28 #9 by carlowchris (chris)
Welcome baz.......sumps and externals?????if ya can do both.....do both.....is the tank already drilled for a sump????

More
30 Aug 2015 23:44 #10 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks carlowchris.
I'd say there's enough room for both. It's not already drilled. I've looked at a bigger version of the external filter I have now. It's suitable for tanks upto 1000l, 4 layers of filtration, uv bulb , 2000l/h. The filter on my 120l setup keeps the water crystal clear. My head is spinning trying to decide on everything, how many heaters do I need? , what type of fish?,

More
31 Aug 2015 01:19 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
What is the measurments of your tank ? i am using two external filters one on each side of my 6ft tank
with no problems have you any idea of what fish you like or been to the local pet shop be careful they will
try anything to sell fish so make sure you do your research first before you buy anything. lots of fish keepers even myself
learnt the hard way and tried to much to soon and it ended up bad with losing some fish down to poor knowledge and advice from the pet shops .

Something fishie going on here

More
31 Aug 2015 01:21 #12 by carlowchris (chris)
The new external sounds good but on a tank that size you'll probly be messing around with floss and sponges more regularly than other stufff and thats where 2 externals come in handy

fish wise?????me personnelly id love a large cold water set up.......ponds are great but its a whole different thing when ya look head on at your fish instead of down on

More
31 Aug 2015 10:53 #13 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks guys. Carlowchris I've thought about going for cold-water setup. I agree with you that it would look class.
James the tank measurements are 850mm high, 1300mm long and 500mm depth. I'm thinking going tropical freshwater.
I was out looking in the local pet shop. I love the colours of the cichlids but was told I couldn't mix them with any other fish, is that true? I would like to have a good mix of fish, at different levels of the tank.
What type and how many heaters do you have in your tank James?
What lighting are you using? I was pricing different l.e.d systems , the difference is crazy. What do ye think of the lights from China? Look similar to what I was pricing but at a fraction of the price.
Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it done properly from the beginning, as money is a bit tight. That's why I said earlier if it takes a couple of months to get done, I don't mind

More
31 Aug 2015 12:14 #14 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Introducing myself
If you're any way handy with the tools and implements required you might want to think about making your own LED lighting set-up as described here by Bart:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...80&Itemid=200#181367

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Aug 2015 12:22 #15 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks John
What a fabulous light setup

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds