Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Thermostat STC 1000

More
25 Nov 2014 14:59 #1 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
STC 1000

I came across this device on many fish keeper forums being used as liable temperature controller.
It is electronic thermostat unit for virtually any application where temperature control is needed, why not to use it in aquarium?
It can be bought online and the price varies greatly. Basically depends on the country it is being sold from so shop around ;)
I got mine from China and i was waiting forever. The box contains the device and temperature sensor.

The main idea was to get more precise control of temperature in breeding setup but it can be used for any tank.
The device comes calibrated. The resolution is 0.1 degree Celsius so u can set exactly what your desired tank temperature should be.
The connections on the device are for heating, cooling, mains, sensor. In my setup i don't need cooling so i didn't bother connecting that part. I wired it the way to have 2 sockets for heaters. Marine fish keepers might be interested in connecting cooler, although it all depends on setup.
Her's wiring diagram.

I made the case from black foamed PVC, it's easy to work with and gives nice neat finish. There is loads on the net how to make casing for this contraption. I'we seen lunch boxes, storage boxes, electrical junction boxes, anything electricity safe.

Now it is being tested. I connected 300w Eheim Jager heater and turned the dial to max(on the heater). The temperature on thermostat is set to 28 degrees Celsius. It turned out that the temperature in the tank was of the desired by fraction.
Later on i'm planing to get titanium heaters for this setup.

Of course DIY project like this involves electricity which can be harmful or possibly lethal so electrical knowledge is needed. Common sense on electrical appliances around the water and moisture (they don't mix ;) ), and so on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2014 15:43 #2 by meleftone (Kevin Usher)
Great DIY project. Where did you get the foam PVC as I think I could use it in something I'm planning on making.

More
25 Nov 2014 16:16 #3 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
I buy foamed PVC board from AMARI, they are in Fonthill Industrial Park, Liffey Valley, Dublin 22. Minimum order is 100€ though, also not sure if the sell to public. Just give them a call.

More
25 Nov 2014 18:09 #4 by meleftone (Kevin Usher)
Good man. Thanks for that.

More
25 Nov 2014 20:37 #5 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Great stuff. :cool:
Could it be used to connect 10 different heaters or are you limited to one.

Thanks
Anthony

More
25 Nov 2014 23:30 #6 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I have been using these for good while they can be got on ebay and i see one very simular on adverts.ie i was only using it with the probe and it would alarm at 30+ and also alarm under 20 deg c

Something fishie going on here

More
26 Nov 2014 18:55 #7 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
@anthonyd
U ca connect as many heaters as u want but the sensor is one so just one setup can be controlled.
@irish-zx10r
I don't think this model has alarm. There is couple of similar devices out there, i decided on this one as it's already widely used in the hobby.

More
27 Nov 2014 00:10 #8 by baan (Fintan Breen)
Do ye trust these to mind your tanks for you? Just a little skeptical, but maybe they'd be fine?

I notice the accuracy is +/- 1 degree, which seems a lot. Have ye tested with other temperature measuring devices to see how good they are?

Finally, how do you set these... is it... at 27.5 turn on to heat at 28 turn off? I presume there is diminishing returns of saying turn on at 27.5 and off at 27.6??

(You'll may have seen my other post on this re my fluctuating temperature...)

More
27 Nov 2014 17:27 #9 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
@baan
If i trust this device? - I don't know, A lot of people is using it for fresh water and marine. Just got it and I'm going to test the crap out of it. The tank where it is installed has fail safe so no worries.
If +/- 1 accuracy is a lot i don't know what isn't. U need to ask yourself what's the accuracy on your regular heater. Most aquarium heater producers don't even bother to tell u what accuracy on they product is. Bottom line - it's just aquarium, not laboratory. There are daily and even hourly temperature fluctuations in nature.
I have tested this with other electronic devices including Seneye Home, diferences within 0.1 degree
The minimum setup resolution is 0.3 degree so for 28 - comes on at 27.7 and turns of at 28 therefore there will be constant fluctuation within this range.
Nevertheless i'd say its a lot less than usual bi-metal heater. U just noticed it using Seneye. That's what is happening in our tanks all the time. The fluctuation depends on the quality of heater, temperature outside the tank, age of equipment, sun exposition, and so on

More
29 Nov 2014 23:03 #10 by baan (Fintan Breen)
fair enough. it's probably as good as or better than standard built in ones in the heaters.

My point on the accuracy was more about consistency... if it's consistently 1 degree up or down, then fine, you can adjust, but if it constantly swings, that could be an issue.

I agree about me just noticing it with the seneye... I'm just wondering if it is a problem. To me a 3 degree swing in a 24 hour period seems a lot... but maybe it's not???

More
29 Nov 2014 23:41 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
If you want it exact you would have to calabrate both your heater and controler next time i am working day shift i get more info

More
02 Dec 2014 00:33 - 02 Dec 2014 00:37 #12 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

fair enough. it's probably as good as or better than standard built in ones in the heaters.

My point on the accuracy was more about consistency... if it's consistently 1 degree up or down, then fine, you can adjust, but if it constantly swings, that could be an issue.

I agree about me just noticing it with the seneye... I'm just wondering if it is a problem. To me a 3 degree swing in a 24 hour period seems a lot... but maybe it's not???

This might be a help to you

i will pm the link explaining the PID Control

There is two types one being standard on off and the more advanced pi and pid the more advanced one can keep the tempature perfect please dont quote me on this i getting my info from the engineers that work with me we have one on order for tomorrow @ 65 euro once i get to see it work i can give more details they also have auto tunning so once its setup you dont have to do anything else.

@ Bart i look at mine and see what one i have i know once can be setup with alarm and the other a flashing red light

Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 00:37 by irish-zx10r (James feenan). Reason: copyrite on the link so i removed it

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds