Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fish tank stand

More
02 Oct 2015 09:12 - 02 Oct 2015 15:38 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Hello all
I'm now looking for information for a fish tank stank. I'd like it to be 12ft long, 3ft wide and 3ft tall. Should hold about 4 tanks 3ft x 18inches wide x18 high. I'm think it could be built out of treated 3x2 or 4x2 12ft lenghts . what's your taught the extra width on the stand is for easy acces to the back of the tanks and maybe wider tanks in the future

Something fishie going on here
Last edit: 02 Oct 2015 15:38 by irish-zx10r (James feenan).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2015 15:27 #2 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic fish tank stand
Sounds great james are u gna build it

More
02 Oct 2015 15:37 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Sounds great james are u gna build it

not going to build one i going to build two :) there not for myself though
i got a order after the lad seeing two i have built for my tanks.
the only thing i never built anything over 6ft so i am wondering should i use 3x2 or 4x2

More
03 Oct 2015 06:11 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
3x2 will be plenty strong enough, use 10/12 mm ply as a base for the tanks and uprights placed under each tank.

More
03 Oct 2015 07:52 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

3x2 will be plenty strong enough, use 10/12 mm ply as a base for the tanks and uprights placed under each tank.

i was thinking the same 4 uprights and some extra bracing on the 4 corners around the 3x2 now the big question for 12ft stand how many 12 ft lenghts am i going to need ? last place i got timber the lengths were not a true 12ft long

More
03 Oct 2015 08:52 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
Most lengths of rough timber comes in 4.8 or 5.2 lengths, from a building suppliers yard. I'd use 3 lengths on the 12 ft length. Have the 2 inch facing up so it's stronger that way. The ply will add a lot of overall strength. Space thecross sections at 16 inches centres like a studded wall doubling the struts at both ends and the middle.

More
03 Oct 2015 09:12 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
thanks Paul this will be a interesting build i add photos here as i go along

More
03 Oct 2015 17:38 #8 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
That's a serious size stand James. Have you thought about metal box section? Have you access to a welder? 25mm x 25mm come in 7.5m lengths.

More
03 Oct 2015 18:35 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I was asked to build two they are not for me but i will look at the option of a metal stand good thing about the wood is i can put it together on site

More
03 Oct 2015 18:42 #10 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
You could do 2 6ft long side by side. I know the local steel shop in athlone cut all the lengths for you, small extra charge ( I got 16 cuts for €4), then you could weld onsite. Looking forward to seeing it when you're finished

More
03 Oct 2015 21:38 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

You could do 2 6ft long side by side. I know the local steel shop in athlone cut all the lengths for you, small extra charge ( I got 16 cuts for €4), then you could weld onsite. Looking forward to seeing it when you're finished

Can you pm me there number are u local

More
03 Oct 2015 23:04 #12 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Just sent you a pm

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds