Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

simple fish

More
28 Nov 2014 12:54 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Is there such a thing or do all fish bring some stress to fishkeeping? i have goldfish and always think of a bigger tank i have african cichlids and i am always trying to match fish for brerding pairs. What fish can you stock and just water change relax and be happy witout thinking of upgrades these are things that go through my mind am i the only one in this boat.

Irish-zx10r

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2014 16:32 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Fishkeeping? Relax? Where's the fun in that?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
28 Nov 2014 17:13 #3 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Can be very stressful when you don't know what your doing.

my major stresses are glass scratching and algae.

In the last 6 months, I haven't really had any of these,
But my old tank did drive me mad with algae, but that's life, - live & learn.

Now that I know the fine balance required, I'm always tweaking, based on early signs and never really go down a stressful path.

I must spend about an hour or 2 each day just looking at it, not stressing - just admiring.
I don't think about paring, and water changes for me are done automatically

More
28 Nov 2014 17:36 #4 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
+1 on this post

Always thinking on upgrades.

My wife and daughter get to relax though so I am cool with that :-P

More
28 Nov 2014 21:20 #5 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
+2 for sure.....I'm always looking to,do something....

More
28 Nov 2014 21:40 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
You're not a real fishkeeper unless you have at least 3 more projects you want to do than tanks to do them. :blink:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
29 Nov 2014 00:18 #7 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic simple fish
I think we're all in the same boat! I actually like doing water changes manually. I have often thought about just looking at the fish for 1 day but I couldn't. I always want to change things, I guess as good as fish can be to look at I enjoy learning a lot too.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
29 Nov 2014 08:46 - 29 Nov 2014 08:49 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I think the science, the work, the maintenance routine, the drive to try something we haven't tried before, the fact it's a hobby that challenges us etc is what appeals to alot of us, in spite of how much of a pain it can be sometimes. Otherwise we'd all be happy with aquarium screensavers on our PCs and leave it at that.

Last edit: 29 Nov 2014 08:49 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
29 Nov 2014 09:40 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

I think the science, the work, the maintenance routine, the drive to try something we haven't tried before, the fact it's a hobby that challenges us etc is what appeals to alot of us, in spite of how much of a pain it can be sometimes. Otherwise we'd all be happy with aquarium screensavers on our PCs and leave it at that.

Lj i think you hit the nail on the head
and talking about putting things on the. Long finger i started the pond 2 years ago and its not finished and i have 3 other projects going on and i dont see them finishing soon. I suppose this is good stress lol

Something fishie going on here

More
29 Nov 2014 11:45 #10 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic simple fish
In the same boat as well, but I think you're always going to worrying and planning for better things because we care so much for our fish.

Simplifying worked well for me as well cos I got carried away there for a while and had every cool fish I saw.

Right now I'm worried about my black piranhas not eating a varied diet and my red bellies being too fat lol

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds