Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

parrot fish

More
23 Jan 2015 21:58 #1 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Not too many around these days used to be as common as guppies at one stage. Also not many posts on the forum about them when I wasn't too long in the hobby I had a real fascination with them and rushed out and bought some even before I done some proper research into them and subsequently finding out that they were hybrids after I got them none the less I genuinely loved them and enjoyed keeping them almost like having a puppy the way they follow you around the tank for food mine ate from my hand and two even paired of and laid a few batches of infertile eggs. So whats your thoughts on these guys and do you see them for sale these days

Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2015 11:23 #2 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I like there look and personality never kept any I see few for swap not many for sale Did yours lay many eggs keep us posted on how they are getting on. I say they will lay more eggs soon

Something fishie going on here

More
24 Jan 2015 12:02 #3 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
It was probably 8 years ago that I had them mate still miss them might get some again some day

More
24 Jan 2015 12:39 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic parrot fish
There are some people (myself included) who see these 'fish' for what they are - deformed man-made mutants and loathe them - and all they represent.
But, on the other hand they have their devotees, so will (unfortunately) probably always reappear.
A lot of shops refuse to sell them any longer - there was talk at one time of them being banned, even.
Because of the way they have been developed the internal configuration of their gut is so misshapen that they cannot consume and digest food properly - it has been shown.

My own (very personal) view is that they ought never to have been marketed in the first place, but since they have been then it looks as though we're stuck with them!!!

Almost all Central/South American Cichlids will show a degree of 'character' - and are far more attractive (in the main) than these.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
24 Jan 2015 13:05 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic parrot fish
Im not a fan of them from the point of they are realistically a man made mutant! But thats npt really their fault either, personality wise and so on i think they are nice and actually feel sorry for them! They arent the healthiest fish in the world! I dont know how good their quality of life is really

More
24 Jan 2015 15:11 #6 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I basically agree with you 100% John should never have been intrdouced into the hobby. I bought 5 from an old forum member years ago and as I said I hadn't done my research I was new to the hobby and was drawn to them for there unusual characteristics. But none the less I did fall in love with them. Can't stand to see dyed or tattooing to parrots but I have to say even against my better judgement I think ill reunite with these fish some day

More
25 Jan 2015 12:33 - 25 Jan 2015 12:41 #7 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic parrot fish
Found this on facebook. The guy bought them off ebay. Poor fish were dyed

Sorry, images had to be removed - Forum ruling.

Eric
Last edit: 25 Jan 2015 12:41 by JohnH (John). Reason: Removed images

More
25 Jan 2015 12:50 #8 by JohnH (John)
Please see the post from some years back:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...553&Itemid=200#48553

John

ITFS member.

More
25 Jan 2015 12:55 - 25 Jan 2015 13:01 #9 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
No bother John didn't realize i couldn't put up pictures of the terrible **** that's going on

Eric
Last edit: 25 Jan 2015 13:01 by JohnH (John). Reason: expletive deleted

More
25 Jan 2015 13:12 #10 by JohnH (John)

No bother John didn't realize i couldn't put up pictures of the terrible **** that's going on

Eric

That Ruling was established before I took over this 'exalted' position on the Forum, but I am in agreement with it.

Here is Darragh's ruling.

"Please note that any further posts on dyed fish will be deleted immediately.
A more detailed policy on Dyed Fish will be made available over the coming days.
In the meantime it is not for discussion".

Darragh

ITFS Webmaster

ITFS member.

More
25 Jan 2015 13:15 - 25 Jan 2015 13:16 #11 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Watch "MASSAGING MY BLOOD PARROT CICHLID" on YouTube
MASSAGING MY BLOOD PARROT CICHLID:

Pretty cool see how you can fall in love with these especially if you didn't realise they were hybrids.

As far as hybrids go is there many others in the hobby and if so is the parrot the most popular?
Last edit: 25 Jan 2015 13:16 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold).

More
25 Jan 2015 14:09 #12 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)

Eric

That Ruling was established before I took over this 'exalted' position on the Forum, but I am in agreement with it.

Here is Darragh's ruling.

"Please note that any further posts on dyed fish will be deleted immediately.
A more detailed policy on Dyed Fish will be made available over the coming days.
In the meantime it is not for discussion".

Darragh

ITFS Webmaster

Cool won't happen again

Eric

More
25 Jan 2015 15:37 #13 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I think flowerhorns are a hybrid as well Paul and are as popular as parrot fish

Eric

More
02 Feb 2015 12:02 #14 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic parrot fish
Everyone to their own but personally i think there are much Nicer fish you could buy that are not man made :-) Unfortunately you will always have fish that are interfeared with by humans like the died zebra fish and such . I do see the parrots still for sale allot. If you manage to get fry from them i would be shocked .

More
02 Feb 2015 12:08 #15 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I'd never try breed them and to be honest the more I think about them the more I don't like what they bring to the hobby reconsidering my previous thoughts of keeping them again there is just too much bad feelings associated with them nothing good will come from having them in the hobby

Paul

More
02 Feb 2015 12:16 #16 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic parrot fish

I'd never try breed them and to be honest the more I think about them the more I don't like what they bring to the hobby reconsidering my previous thoughts of keeping them again there is just too much bad feelings associated with them nothing good will come from having them in the hobby

Paul

Being honest if they make you happy and you will give them a good home better than them sitting in a lfs squezed together :-)
The best thing about this hobby is we chosse what we like and we can have are own choice in what we want. My friends has 12 of them in a tank and loves them :-) So i guess everyone to there own :-)

More
02 Feb 2015 15:29 #17 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic parrot fish
Id say the same....
Just cause they aint everyones cup of tea, doesnt mean you shouldnt keep them!!!!

dont rule it out too soon

More
02 Feb 2015 16:44 #18 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic parrot fish
i had one and loved it, alot more personality than angels. but it is sad how they dye them and i dont really like how they look when dyed and i dont see the point.

More
02 Feb 2015 21:04 #19 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Replied by dubdero (derek kearns) on topic parrot fish
Everyone to there self I think there awful looking as ciclids are but eye is in the beholder

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds