Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What fish? advice/suggestions!?

More
24 Mar 2015 20:32 #1 by Lauris (Lauris)
Hello everyone!

Pretty new-be Question, but I still need some advice.
I can call myself more advanced in success to keep plants, but
I'm not quite well in knowledge on some fisies.

so..

I'm up to change my live stock in tank.

I would like to see one pair of some show-off fish and bunch of schooling fishes

Colisia and Gourami will be re-homed and 2 rasbora Kubotai too.
My pygmy corries and amano shrimps are invisible in this setup so I don't count them

I came up for show off fish -
1. just a pair of some nice Rams - really no concerns about keeping them as I can meet their water requirements
2. pair of some nice Angels. concerns - never kept an Angels. No issue with meeting water requirements
but I'm not sure if they will have enough space (as I know there is no small Angel fish, only when they are young, right?)
and if my current will not be too strong for them. I have a very nice flow, not too strong but good enough

Schooling fish
- my thoughts are to keep it classic in this choice - I guess neons would look nice. the smaller ones of the species (I'm bad on proper names.lol). probably about 15 of them

any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated

I am planted!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2015 21:20 #2 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
I've just seen these recently but the Bluefin Notho Killifish are beautifully coloured in my opinion

More
24 Mar 2015 21:26 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hi Lauris ,
The Angel fish would be 2 big. As for a shoal check out threadfin rainbow fish. Cracking little fish.

Eric

More
24 Mar 2015 21:57 #4 by JohnH (John)
I'm with Eric (almost) on this - but I would suggest a different Rainbowfish species - the 'Neon' Blue - Praecox.
These really are little stunners - especially the males, but the females are almost as stunning and it's their presence which keeps the males on top of their 'game'.
If you do choose Rams, try to find the (much) nicer European-bred ones - those from the Far East are truly inferior.
If you can find them the 'true' Honey Gouramis are - to my eyes - much nicer fish than the 'orange' cultivars.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Mar 2015 01:10 #5 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
WHAT A FECKING TANK HOLLY SHRIP THAT IS AMAZING, thats award winning stuff

that's brilliant, im saving that one

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
25 Mar 2015 01:31 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
my wife just said your taking the piss 'that's not real

love it

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
25 Mar 2015 08:01 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Im gonnna throw the ember tetra into the suggestion for a shoal,they are very nice fish,small but impressive and would fit nicely into that tank whilst bringing a nice colour contrast with the plants. The Rams are nice but as John suggests the european bred rams are stronger albeit still no guarantee of lasting.Everyone has mixed experience of this fish but its one that has weakened in recebt years with mass production. Id also suggest if you have a decent current to consider a bamboo shrimp which are filter feeders.Something different as you say.The best thing about this change is its completely up to you how you shape it.
Gavin

More
25 Mar 2015 10:21 #8 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I am a bit of a fan of Bamboo shrimp...

More
25 Mar 2015 10:26 #9 by JohnH (John)

love it

To Jeff and Mrs Jeff - it is real - here's the account of how it came into being:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...=135014&limitstart=0

John

ITFS member.

More
25 Mar 2015 10:50 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

+1
Beautiful, fascinating, serene creatures.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
25 Mar 2015 15:15 #11 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

love it

To Jeff and Mrs Jeff - it is real - here's the account of how it came into being:

John

Mrs jeff sez that thank-you she is a believer now lol

More
25 Mar 2015 18:13 #12 by Lauris (Lauris)

love it

John

Mrs jeff sez that thank-you she is a believer now lol

lol! I'm off my chair!
I'll take it as a compliment. Thanks. to both of you :)

I am planted!

More
25 Mar 2015 18:25 - 25 Mar 2015 19:54 #13 by Lauris (Lauris)

I've just seen these recently but the Bluefin Notho Killifish are beautifully coloured in my opinion

fish looks nice, but my bet would be they are too speckled

Hi Lauris ,
The Angel fish would be 2 big. As for a shoal check out threadfin rainbow fish. Cracking little fish.

Eric

yep I thought so. either to stay away or keep juveniles until they grow and bring them back to LFS (I guess not an option this time)
threadfin rainbow fish - looks cool. need to read about. also I guess I'm limited to what the Searhorse will have as well. might be an good option.

If you do choose Rams, try to find the (much) nicer European-bred ones - those from the Far East are truly inferior.
If you can find them the 'true' Honey Gouramis are - to my eyes - much nicer fish than the 'orange' cultivars.

John

Do they have a stamps like made in germany or so? :D lol. I guess this also will be limited to availability. but now I do see why sometimes I see a brilliant colors on them and sometimes they just are pale (if I got this right)

WHAT A FECKING TANK HOLLY SHRIP

LOL

LOL x 10

Im gonnna throw the ember tetra into the suggestion for a shoal,they are very nice fish,small but impressive and would fit nicely into that tank whilst bringing a nice colour contrast with the plants.

Might be one of the options. looks good and as said, will be in great contrast with the green

not me. not a great fan of bamboo. have a lots of Amanos. thanks

Thank you all for your input

I am planted!
Last edit: 25 Mar 2015 19:54 by Lauris (Lauris).

More
25 Mar 2015 19:30 #14 by swai (Simon)
If that was my tank, well it would never be as nice first of all!

I would add a shoal of Paracheirodon simulans, green neon tetra. The lighting you are using on your tank looks similar to what I am using on one of my tanks which has a pink reflection off it. I have cardinals in the tank and everyone who comes and sees the cardinals always asks how come they are that colourful and there ones are dull compared. I think the green neon would look even better, they are harder to come by as I read they are all wild caught. There was a guy selling them for 1.70 each in nasa and he had 100, they were wild caught.

As for your show fish I would go for a pair of apisto, maybe with red in them. I like apistos kept in pairs as the male will always flare at the female. Maybe pick up a nice pair of macmasteri.

Thats just what I would do but a lot of the other suggestions are good also.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
25 Mar 2015 19:49 - 25 Mar 2015 19:56 #15 by Lauris (Lauris)

If that was my tank, well it would never be as nice first of all!

another lol. nothing is impossible ;) thanks

Green tetra I'm sure is nice but it will dismiss on the plant background
As I have Rasbora Kubotai and it is not easy to spot them if they are not swimming in
particular (plain) area. As I have a plan to get those weed up to the top, green tetra may
just varnish in my scape later on
I like apistos but I had a very bad experience with them before. twice.
once got just a male - bully, took him back to seahorse. and other time a pair - and male
nipped out eyes on rasboras and rummy nose tetras so I took the pair back to Artane aquatics. :(

I am planted!
Last edit: 25 Mar 2015 19:56 by Lauris (Lauris).

More
25 Mar 2015 20:03 #16 by swai (Simon)
your right about the green neons, i just went onto youtube to have a quick look. they do get lost in the tank but they school like crazy!

As fishowner said above, ember tetras would look great.

I've never had any aggression with the apistos i've kept, maybe you were unlucky! Borelli seem to be the most timid out of all the opposites i've kept.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
25 Mar 2015 20:07 - 25 Mar 2015 21:50 #17 by Lauris (Lauris)
and my wife demands neons (just a classic ones) unless I can convince her with something more impressive :)

p.s. the pink'ish light is Sylvania Grolux T5 24w tube

I am planted!
Last edit: 25 Mar 2015 21:50 by Lauris (Lauris).

More
25 Mar 2015 22:38 - 26 Mar 2015 12:52 #18 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I keep neons, ember tetras and apistos in my 90 litres tank.
The ember look like nothing in the lfs but after settling in they shine and bring the tank to life by their activity.

Edit : i have silver tip tetras not ember tetras :crazy:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2015 12:52 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne).

More
26 Mar 2015 19:14 #19 by Lauris (Lauris)
thanks to all!
choice has been made today. Wife approved ember tetras.
so I ended up with 16 ember tetras and a lovely pair of Rams

I am planted!

More
26 Mar 2015 20:30 #20 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Great choice Lauris...they wont let you down and once they colour up you will be delighted you picked them...cant wait for the pics too!!
Gavin

More
26 Mar 2015 22:34 #21 by Lauris (Lauris)

More
26 Mar 2015 23:07 - 26 Mar 2015 23:12 #22 by Lauris (Lauris)
oh. now I need some expert advice.
they were sold as a pair, but now I'm having some doubts

they look the same to me in this pic:

but if I'm looking at the fins - they are exact same on both (or probably it's just me)

only two things I noticed are bit different (but thats again might be just me)

1. The one on left is more pale in color
2. the one on left has more like the black covered with blue dots

can someone help me to sex them, as I really want to keep a pair

I am planted!
Last edit: 26 Mar 2015 23:12 by Lauris (Lauris).

More
26 Mar 2015 23:11 #23 by swai (Simon)
I wouldo say it's a pair. I'm no expert though. The body on the female (left) is shorter and the black spot has blue speckles which indicates a female.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
26 Mar 2015 23:13 #24 by swai (Simon)
Also the dorsal fin on the male looks longer then the female. The ventral fin is also longer too.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
27 Mar 2015 01:21 #25 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

oh. now I need some expert advice.
they were sold as a pair, but now I'm having some doubts

they look the same to me in this pic:

but if I'm looking at the fins - they are exact same on both (or probably it's just me)

only two things I noticed are bit different (but thats again might be just me)

1. The one on left is more pale in color
2. the one on left has more like the black covered with blue dots

can someone help me to sex them, as I really want to keep a pair

they both look very young and havent got their true colour yet

but the fact that the both have black lines on the pelvic fins indicate the are both female

More
27 Mar 2015 02:33 - 27 Mar 2015 02:34 #26 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
They are young still and of course will take time to colour up after being newly introduced also....is there any presence of a pinkish underbelly on either of them?females tend to have a pink shade to their belly which is a decent indicator of sexing them...the finnage looks similar in both of them so i suspect you may not have a pair but its hard to tell from a picture. Either way they look nice and healthy,give them good quality food for a few weeks to help them along and hopefully they survive and thrive...the standard of rams nowadays can be so hit and miss.But they are such a lovely fish.

Gavin
Last edit: 27 Mar 2015 02:34 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
27 Mar 2015 09:53 #27 by JohnH (John)
I would venture to suggest that - while looking pretty similar - there's a good chance you do have a pair with the underdeveloped male being the fish on the right (he says with fingers crossed).
Please keep us informed as they continue their development - I'm sure we would all be interested to see them as fully-formed adults.

John

ITFS member.

More
27 Mar 2015 10:51 #28 by Lauris (Lauris)
thank you all. I'll keep this updated.

this is a great link to sex them. I guess I might be lucky and I gave a pair.

www.aquaeden.co.uk/how_to_sex_german_blue_rams.html

I am planted!

More
27 Mar 2015 22:40 - 27 Mar 2015 22:42 #29 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
what about these pics
female

male

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2015 22:42 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

More
27 Mar 2015 22:53 #30 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I don't know what you guys are all on about. It's pretty easy to tell them apart...
MALE

FEMALE

Simples...

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds