Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Surprise tank addition

More
17 Dec 2014 23:51 #1 by Richie71 (Richie71)
I went out to buy a few plants for the tank and to stock up on my guppies and on the spur of the moment I got an assassin snail as well. I had read somewhere about the benefits and my new-ish tank needed a bit of a helping hand with the algae growing on the back wall & filter. Well I got home and this little fella was the star attraction. The kids didn't give a toss about the new guppies and their fancy tails, they were chuffed to have a new pet snail !!! They called him Gary - after some cartoon character I think - and for some reason they were fascinated looking at him trekking the same course around the tank for hours on end.

We got another surprise though. Gary now has a little friend in the tank and we don't know where he came from. :huh: Either Gary is a Gertrude or he came in attached to one of the plants. So I'm starting to think I shoulda done a bit more research into these snails before I got one. I wasn't expecting little baby snails so my questions may seem a bit silly to some. When the little one grows up a bit, am I running a risk of more snails being produced? What's the best number of snails to house in a fish tank - 10 or 100 or 1000 - or does it really matter? (I really haven't a clue!!). My tank is 125l by the way.

These snails are probably rampant at producing offspring, and as far as I know so 1 little new fella is probably nothing to shout about but I have to say I was delighted with my new 'first born'. :lol: :lol:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2014 13:52 #2 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
How long have you had the assasin snail if not too long chances are it's just a rouge plant eating snail which will most likely be hunted down and eaten by the assasin as the name suggests they eat other snails that can be a nuisance in the aquarium and multiply very quick assasin reproduce a lot slower

Paul

More
18 Dec 2014 17:35 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I put 3 in my 125l a while back. Absolutely love them. They do a class job on any rouge snail that's about and I had a few. I constantly see small eggs up the side of the glass but only ever saw a couple of young ones in the tank

Eric

More
18 Dec 2014 23:30 #4 by Richie71 (Richie71)
I have the assassin about a week and a half now Paul. I thought the little fella had the same markings as the assassin snail but taking another look today, it's hard to make out as he's so small. I got another little surprise today as well. Two have now become three !!! There was another, even smaller snail following number two around. How do these rogue snails get into the tank in the first place? Is it worth getting another couple of assassins to keep them at bay?

More
19 Dec 2014 09:57 #5 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
A small group of assasin snails are a great addition to any community aquarium imo. Most of the time the other snails come in to tanks attached to live plants and if you don't have assasins or loaches they can very quickly multiply

Paul

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds