Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

just to check in

More
27 Aug 2015 12:12 - 27 Aug 2015 13:06 #1 by CG (K Lynch)
Hi all,

I wanted to check in here to say how the fish tank cycling process is going for me.
I cycled my 100 lt. tank fishless for about 9 days. Since then, I bought a pair of red eyed tetras (which I decided to return because one was bullying the other) and now have four happy platys.
It's been about 2 weeks in total.
ammonia almost 0
ph near 7.0
water hardness: around 8
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0

I've used up the fluvial cycle and am now doing water changes at 15 % per day.
No nitrates yet but so far so good.

Thanks for reading.

K
Last edit: 27 Aug 2015 13:06 by CG (K Lynch).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2015 14:36 - 27 Aug 2015 14:44 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Red Eye Tetras need to be in groups of at least 6 because they are a schooling fish....The same goes for all schooling fish groups Tetras, Barbs,Loaches etc etc..............

When schooling fish are not kept in sufficient numbers they will get stressed and either get sick or act out of character or worse still both....

If you are using the API Master Test kit to test your NitrAtes make sure you shake the hell out of bottle number 2 for about 2 mins....Its not in the instructions but is essential for accurate test results.....0 NitrAtes is a strange reading especially if your Ammonia is zero and your NItrItes are zero....

Even water straight from the tap has a small ammount of NItrAtes (usually about 5ppm) so its kind of unusual that you are reading zero NitrAtes!

In a cycled tank there should be some readable NitrAtes....
Somebody correct me if im wrong!
Last edit: 27 Aug 2015 14:44 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
27 Aug 2015 14:48 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I don't think the tank is properly cycled. But if you're doing 15% water changes daily with fish in it it'll get there soon enough.

Eric

More
27 Aug 2015 14:55 #4 by CG (K Lynch)
Replied by CG (K Lynch) on topic just to check in
Thank you for your reply.
You're spot with regard to the tank cycle - it's not cycled yet.

I smiled when I read about shaking the hell out of the bottle - that's what I did ( I have a master test kit )
the liquid was clear.

I'll try again soon
and keep up with the water changes.
It's good to have happy fish - one tetra was hounding the smaller fella :/

K

More
29 Aug 2015 11:34 #5 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

Red Eye Tetras need to be in groups of at least 6 because they are a schooling fish....The same goes for all schooling fish groups Tetras, Barbs,Loaches etc etc..............

When schooling fish are not kept in sufficient numbers they will get stressed and either get sick or act out of character or worse still both....

If you are using the API Master Test kit to test your NitrAtes make sure you shake the hell out of bottle number 2 for about 2 mins....Its not in the instructions but is essential for accurate test results.....0 NitrAtes is a strange reading especially if your Ammonia is zero and your NItrItes are zero....

Even water straight from the tap has a small ammount of NItrAtes (usually about 5ppm) so its kind of unusual that you are reading zero NitrAtes!

In a cycled tank there should be some readable NitrAtes....
Somebody correct me if im wrong!

You are right, cycled tank should have around 40 ppm or less nitrates.
I have bought new API master test kit and it actually does note in bold to shake the solution bottle and test tube citing : vigorously :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds