Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Baby Guppies

More
28 Mar 2015 18:34 #1 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Much to the delight of the kids I have 7 guppy fry in a breeding trap. I scooped them out before they got eaten. The soft touch that I am.

There is another brood on the way. What do people normally do with their excess guppies?

I know I could leave them to get eaten but was hoping to let some mature!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2015 20:05 #2 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Baby Guppies
What else do you have in the tank? I always just left my guppies in the tank and they still populated a lot. I would say not all of the fry will be eaten as some will get away and hide. Some floating plants would help if you wanted to keep them in the main tank.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
28 Mar 2015 20:24 #3 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
I have 2 male platies, a pair of German Blue Rams, 2 female Guppies, 1 male Guppy, 10 Cardinal Tetra & 1 ever hopeful female Powder Blue Gourami who keeps trying to assault the breeders trap to grab a snack. The 7 fry are in the trap feeding away! Cute little things.

The second female platy looks like she will drop some. I'm surprised at how fast the little fry swim. The Rams are very clever at sneaking up on them. Do people normally give away the excess guppies?

More
28 Mar 2015 21:05 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Well done Goldie,
Your on the "breeders" ladder :laugh:
If your tank is fairly planted you'll find the little guppies will be fine,
There extremely resilient little fish,
And learn very quickly what to avoid,
If you do get to a stage where you have to many there's a couple of shops around that will take them (if there big enough) for part exchange for fish food and the likes.
Get some pictures of the tank up as I'd love to see it

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
28 Mar 2015 21:50 #5 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Lol thank you. I'm a granny!

Plants! I can just about manage the fish without planting any plants lol.

I was just feeding my babies & 1 escaped & now I only have 6. When do they get colours & get big enough to release?

I will try & upload a pic!

More
28 Mar 2015 22:21 #6 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
3 or 4 weeks depending on what they are,
Even artificial plants are good
Or anubias which is terrestrial (meaning)
You attach it to bog wood or rocks is great because it has a maze of roots for fry to hide in and on and around the leaves themselves.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
28 Mar 2015 22:34 #7 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
I have artifical plants, rocks etc. The Rams however were going around stalking them. Reminds me of the scenes in Jurassic Park. They keep nudging the hatchery box lol.

The other Guppy looks like she is going to drop another lot. The male Guppy keeps having a sneaky try at her a lot but not interested in the one who just had babies!

More
29 Mar 2015 00:08 #8 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
They arent called the millions fish for nothing...you wil be over ran with guppies unless you let nature takes it course.Some will get eaten and some will survive.if its you first time breeding them then enjoy them and rear them but im willing to bet in 3 or 6 months time you will be cursing the guppies and the amount of them!!Not all fish shops will take them in either considering they can purchase them on the market for 70 cent a fish and some for less. It is fun though seeing new fry and knowing fish have bred in your tank.The rams will eat them if they get near them and i would say 3 or 4 weeks might even be too early before a release,maybe 6 weeks.But if you provide places for them to hide they will survive.The guppies will slowly start to colour up also but it can take months before they resemble the colours of the adults. For now congrats and enjoy them,they are very cute.Also check your filter,if it's an internal filter then you prob have a fair few inside it right now.

Gavin

More
30 Mar 2015 11:23 #9 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic Baby Guppies
Just as the lads said above some plants will do the job, I have a few Large 'Clumps' of moss and there's soooo many babies inside its unreal, its so funny when ever my rams swim past they scurry like mad and disappear, But honestly dont worry eventually alot will survive. Best of luck with the new additions :)

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds