Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta Falx

More
28 Jan 2015 21:25 #1 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hey all I picked p a nice pair of wild Betta Falx from seahorse on Saturday. Really cool mouthbrooding betta. They're only about 4cm in length. And would you believe I came home from work yesterday and the male was already holding eggs. A big swelled face on him. Hopefully he'll hold on to them. Below is a picture of the female. I tried to get one of the male but im afraid to get to close in case I frighten him

Eric
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2015 21:42 - 28 Jan 2015 21:45 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
very cool. with this, and the tank you found, you seem to be having a good week :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 21:45 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
29 Jan 2015 19:01 #3 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Very nice Eric never seen them before keep us updated

More
05 Feb 2015 17:39 #4 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Betta Falx
Finally got a picture of the male. He's holding for 9 days now so hopefully by the weekend we might see some fry

Another picture of the female

Eric
Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2015 14:52 #5 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Well when I went to feed the fish this morning I saw that the male had spat out the fry. Now I reckon I saw the female eat some and i've only seen around 4 fry but cant be sure. Its also hard to spot them amongst the leaves and moss. Hopefully there's more. As I was trying to spot fry the pair started to breed again. Now i'm fairly worried about the male as he has not eaten anything in nearly 2 weeks and if he has to hold eggs again he might suffer. Anyone with any ideas ? I have a spare tank but no heater so I cant remove either fish for he time being.

Eric

More
07 Feb 2015 15:06 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Betta Falx
Eric,
When faced with this scenario I have both 2 and 3 litre 'pop' bottles from which the bottom has been removed.
these are then placed over the fish I need to isolate and is sunk into the substrate, effectively isolating the fish.
I have always used this with smaller mouthbrooding male Bettas, but this could equally well isolate your female. You could also get her into a fry net temporarily if you have one?

It's worth considering this for the future and also you might think about getting a larger ratio of males to females - this is generally recognised as being the 'norm' among mouthbrooding Betta breeders.

I hope all goes well and that you have ended up with more than 4 fry.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
07 Feb 2015 15:55 #7 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Cheers John. I'll see how the next couple of days go and see if I can remove the female. I have the jars I keep my fancy bettas in on a heat mat so that might be a way to go. But ill keep it in mind for the future about the ratios. Hopefully the male can go a little longer without food

Eric

More
07 Feb 2015 21:24 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The adults are in good condition, so a bit of starving may do little harm.....and males are expected to hold for upto 2 weeks.

Hopefully you can find more fry.....25 to 30 would be no problem for these guys.

I am always impressed by those who are keen to breed fish like these even though you'll never become a millionaire from the breeding.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
08 Feb 2015 13:41 #9 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Well I found an old spare heater so I filled a spare 10 liter cube with tank water and moved the male into it. He's still holding so hopefully he's not too stressed. The reason i moved him instead of her is if he does produce fry it'll save me from moving them into their own raising tank plus I can keep an eye on him better. He is looking pretty skinny so I would rather if he swallowed the eggs rather than pass away but fingers crossed it'll all work out.

Eric

More
08 Feb 2015 19:58 #10 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Hope all your efforts are rewarded with tiny little bettas !

Anthony

More
08 Feb 2015 21:45 #11 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I really hope so Anthony.

Eric

More
17 Feb 2015 18:39 #12 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Well the male finally released some fry to today. I counted at least 20. Really happy he lasted. I put him into his own small tank so I can build him up for a few days before i put him back into the main tank with the female.

1 day old fry

Main tank for pair

Eric
Attachments:

More
17 Feb 2015 18:48 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Very cool :cool:
Maybe now he can take a break and have a snack :lol:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
17 Feb 2015 19:14 #14 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
That s really good news !
You must have been delighted

More
17 Feb 2015 21:10 #15 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
@LemonJelly Yea he deserves some food now. He hasn't ate anything in 3 weeks. And I used to worry about leaving fish without food for a day

@anthonyd I'm over the moon. Hopefully I can grow them on now without much trouble

Eric

More
17 Feb 2015 23:41 - 17 Feb 2015 23:42 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

And I used to worry about leaving fish without food for a day

I'm not advocating starving our fish, but I do think this is a good example of the fact that the natural state of most creatures, most of the time, all through history has been hunger.

Last edit: 17 Feb 2015 23:42 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
26 Feb 2015 20:55 #17 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
A quick video of them at 9 days old

Eric

More
26 Feb 2015 22:57 #18 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Eric what are the fry eating for you...did the male lose much condition while he was holding?

Gavin

More
27 Feb 2015 07:43 - 27 Feb 2015 07:44 #19 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hi Gavin ,
I started the fry on micro worms for a couple of days and then live bbs for another 4 days. Now they are feeding on decapsulated non hatching bbs which they seem to love and it's a lot easier than hatching the live ones.
The male was in decent condition after basically 3 weeks of holding 2 batches of eggs. I fed him up well for a few days and after a day back in with the female he's now holding again.
Ian sent me on a link about another mouth brooding betta the Betta Patoti (fabulous fish ). But it states that with this species that the female releases 2 types of eggs. One that turns into an embryo and one is for nourishment while he's holding. So im wondering if all mouth brooders do this. It might explain how my male lasted as well in decent condition

Eric
Last edit: 27 Feb 2015 07:44 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
06 Mar 2015 20:47 #20 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Just a quick video of my male holding eggs. I moved him to a small tank to release the fry. Also check out the colour on his anal fin simply gorgeous :)

Eric

More
29 Mar 2015 15:05 - 29 Mar 2015 15:09 #21 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
One month old now

Eric
Last edit: 29 Mar 2015 15:09 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
29 Mar 2015 15:11 #22 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Fair play :cool:

More
12 Apr 2015 15:10 #23 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Growing really well. 6 weeks old or so now

Eric
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2015 16:26 #24 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
almost looks like a sparkling gourami at that size!

More
12 Apr 2015 19:44 #25 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)

almost looks like a sparkling gourami at that size!

They do actually :) That's another little fish id like to breed as well

Eric

More
25 May 2015 12:19 #26 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Male holding again. Going to leave him in with the female and see do many survive. I've added extra leaves for cover so we'll see in the next few days. I honestly don't know how he fits so many fry in his mouth

Eric
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds