Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

anyone breeding. swapping. selling. expanding

More
18 Jul 2014 23:28 #1 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
This section has gone very quiet. What are u guys up to

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2014 15:56 #2 by swai (Simon)
Well I set up first shrimp only tank yesterday! I guess that's a start.

It has some red cherry shrimp and amano at the moment. I also have 5 sterbai Cory juvies in there.

All my other tanks have a dark substrate so I wanted to put white silica sand into this one. I currently have an internal filter helping to cycle the tank. This will be taken out and replaced with 2 sponge filters.

Well thought I'd share!

Marino, Dublin 9
Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2014 03:51 #3 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Nice looking tank. Best of luck with the shrimp. Word of advice when u are cleaning your internal poor contents into a white basin and. Leave alone for ten minutes with your sponge. U can collect the shrimplets then. .there will be some. Guaranteed.

More
21 Aug 2014 11:13 #4 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Hey all, Sorry have been busy not got a chance to log on. My 70l F1 tank is up and running with 45 mixed F1's. Looks like all females are holding eggs so fingers crossed I get some Taiwan bee babies soon. Will get some pix up at the weekend.

Went through a bad patch with the crystal red tank had some unexplained deaths but they seem to be recovering now and have lots of babies roaming around.

Stephen.

More
30 Aug 2014 21:23 - 30 Aug 2014 21:23 #5 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
I've had apistogramma agassizii just spawn. today the fry came out of their cave for the first time. roughly 30 - 35 fry. fingers crossed I can grow them on now. I've tried breeding apistos before with no luck. usually the males just hound the females to death, literally!!!

Wayne
Last edit: 30 Aug 2014 21:23 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn).

More
23 Sep 2014 22:56 #6 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Delighted to hear about your appistos. Fair play. Always hard to rear on. This is a shrimp thread wayne.

Congratulations on your recent success Stephen. Would love to see some pictures

More
24 Sep 2014 17:21 #7 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
haha my bad, didn't even notice what section it was in!!!

More
24 Sep 2014 19:03 #8 by Homer (Kevin)
Currently watching my new Sulawesi Cardinals, I bought 12/and they come from Germany, tank bred so not as demanding as wilds might be, so far so good.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
24 Sep 2014 19:12 #9 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Currently watching my new Sulawesi Cardinals, I bought 12/and they come from Germany, tank bred so not as demanding as wilds might be, so far so good.

Kev.

Nice one Kev, A Sulawesi tank is next on my list so im very interested in how you get on. Did all the shrimp arrive alive? What water parameters are you keeping the in? Size tank?

Stephen

More
24 Sep 2014 20:13 - 24 Sep 2014 21:25 #10 by Homer (Kevin)
OK let's start by flying in the face of conformity and not playing by the rules, these were sold to me at an LFS, they were the last of a consignment to the store, I was told, and I genuinely believe what I was told because I respect this man, not only because of his vast knowledge of most things aquatic but I trust him implicitly that they are very hardy and accepting of perameters not native to their origin, they were tank bred in Germany and had been kept in the LFS in a pH of 6.8, they currently reside in my 7.6 Litre Fluval spec in a PH of 6.4 and very low GH and kh, those are not typos, those are my water parameters and they are very happy, shy as is to be expected but still dancing away like the cast of Riverdance. The Aquarium has been established for at least 9 months or more, I removed the occupants and the huge wad of Moss that dominated the tank and replaced with Algae covered stones around 4 ins in diameter, 4 of them, smooth river rocks and a nice piece of slime covered Moorwood that was steeping outside in a large tub.

They were acclimated over 4 hours and put into the tank via a small jug, I think that exposing shrimp to air is a bad thing.

They are all alive and feeding off the rocks and wood.

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 24 Sep 2014 21:25 by Homer (Kevin).

More
24 Sep 2014 20:43 #11 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Interesting Kev, goes against most of what I have read about this species but if they are feeding well and seem happy then more power to ya! The fact your tank is well matured and covered in bio-film and algae is probably a big contributing factor to the shrimps happiness thus far. Keep us updated and some pix would be nice!

Stephen

More
24 Sep 2014 21:21 - 24 Sep 2014 21:25 #12 by Homer (Kevin)

Interesting Kev, goes against most of what I have read about this species but if they are feeding well and seem happy then more power to ya! The fact your tank is well matured and covered in bio-film and algae is probably a big contributing factor to the shrimps happiness thus far. Keep us updated and some pix would be nice!

Stephen

Hey Stephen, I kept pestering the person that sold them to me for more information because, I, like you, and almost everyone who knows the slightest information re Sulawesi shrimp could not believe that there could be anything special about these Tank raised ones but to the point where it must have been embarrassing for him but he assured me, and as I said before, his advice has always been bang on the nail, that they were much hardier than their wild caught cousins and this seems to prove it, I was extremely careful to take the necessary time to acclimate them, no food, just what is already in the tank and a blue led at night that's it, oh, except for some nitrate minus mixed into the water, the water in the tank is rain water and was taken from another tank, all that is in the Spec that is original is all the filter media, I replaced the substrate with black crystal substrate, added the rocks that I had left outside in a shallow pan of Rainwater so it was covered in algae etc and the wood .

I will try to get some photos when they start to get braver but as said, they are active, eating and have acquired their natural colour, blue/white spots etc, there is an orange one with the same spots mixed in with them but it too has the lovely spots and fore-legs and Antennae.

I love tanks with the filter to the rear, it affords really great filtration, more than is needed for the size of aquarium, If these are successful, I will stock a very large Optiwhite solely with these in an attempt to breed them, if they have been bred with hardiness in them, I am hoping it isn't necessary to revert to the High PH low hardness conditions in the wild but I cannot find any information as to where these are from or how they were bred but there a few refs as to keeping them in Tap water akin to that we have in most parts of Dublin, Hard hi PH etc.

Sorry if my info is a bit disjointed, recently got back into Bike racing and had a heavy session training this evening and I am knackered.

Kev.

Last edit: 24 Sep 2014 21:25 by Homer (Kevin).

More
24 Sep 2014 23:32 #13 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Some info here Kev www.planetinverts.com/Cardinal_Shrimp.html

Most of it you already know but some interesting reading none the less. My plan was a 60l tank with rock/pebble substrate some big rocks and maybe coral chips. My tap water Ph is around 8 and is hard so I thought happy days wont need RO water. They also like high temp of around 25.5 which is high compared to my F1 and crystal tanks which are at 21. The only worries I had was getting good quality shrimp. I have a feeling I know where you got them so maybe he will be getting more in the future or maybe fingers crossed yours start breeding we could work something out..

Stephen

More
25 Sep 2014 07:16 #14 by Homer (Kevin)
Hey Stephen, yep, I saw that and nearly every other article written on them, thanks for posting the link, I was looking for ages for anything that might indicate that tank bred ones were less demanding and came across this :-

www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cardinal-shr...awesi-biotope.29391/

Kev.

More
25 Sep 2014 15:52 #15 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Thanks kev, I will have a read of that later on.

Stephen.

More
27 Sep 2014 22:07 #16 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Some slightly better pixxx

Attachment photo1.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
29 Sep 2014 19:41 #17 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)

More
30 Sep 2014 17:16 #18 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
How are the Sulawesi shrimp doing Kev?

Stephen

More
30 Sep 2014 17:26 - 30 Sep 2014 17:28 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
Hey stephen all shy at the moment but all alive and have moulted so, so far so good, amazing little critters I have to say.

Kev.

Last edit: 30 Sep 2014 17:28 by Homer (Kevin).

More
30 Sep 2014 17:39 #20 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Nice one kev, the moulting is a good sign. Keep us updated. :)

Stephen

More
30 Sep 2014 17:43 #21 by Homer (Kevin)
Will

Kev. :)

More
03 Oct 2014 15:28 #22 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Attachments:

More
03 Oct 2014 15:33 #23 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Attachments:

More
03 Oct 2014 15:53 #24 by Homer (Kevin)
Ah lovely stuff Stephen, what a lovely blue!

Kev.

More
03 Oct 2014 15:55 #25 by Homer (Kevin)
I just checked mine and sfsg, all alive and on closer inspection I think they are the blue spotted type, if not, then a mixture.

Kev.

More
03 Oct 2014 16:01 #26 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Ah lovely stuff Stephen, what a lovely blue!

Kev.

Thanks kev, Its only about 4 weeks old and about 5mm long.

Stephen

More
03 Oct 2014 16:01 #27 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

I just checked mine and sfsg, all alive and on closer inspection I think they are the blue spotted type, if not, then a mixture.

Kev.

White legs?

More
03 Oct 2014 16:13 #28 by Homer (Kevin)
Yep, not poso.

Kev.

More
03 Oct 2014 16:14 #29 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Not your legs Kev the shrimp! lol :laugh:

Stephen

More
03 Oct 2014 16:16 #30 by Homer (Kevin)
Ah ha ha!! No not mine, I don't normally shine lights to look at them but, yep, blue spots and white legs, just looked closely.

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds