Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

aquarium accessory car boot sale

More
25 Nov 2014 17:11 #1 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Hiya
No sure this is the right category but if it's not I trust John to migrate the thread.

Wondering if there is any event or car boot sale that exists where people in the hobby can meet up to buy used items for the their tanks.
If you are all like me you have a ton of stuff sitting around or from an old project that could be put to good use but another hobbyist while you could swap it for other items you do need.
If it doesn't exist how about setting one up as a test.
Selling through ads is fine when its a couple of items, but it's very time consuming and most of the "takers" never actually go through with the purchase.
Tanks unless very small would not really be included as transportation becomes a problem, and fish better stay at home. But pumps heaters and any other items still make up a lot that can be traded.
Any thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2014 17:32 #2 by JohnH (John)
We don't really have an appropriate section, so it can rest here.

The ITFS did hold several auctions (two in more recent years and one rather disastrous one during the course of one of their Fish Shows) which 'sort of' catered for this sort of exchange of kit/fish - with a not-unreasonable amount of money being raised for a local charity as a sideline.

However, what you propose goes a good bit beyond this remit.

It really would be an event which might be a worthwhile project, or a disaster - it really depends upon the amount of time and effort some one would be prepared to put into it. Finding a site to hold it on might be a bit awkward...

So, Stephane, if you and/or someone else, are prepared to put in the work organising this project then by all means give it a 'go'.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Nov 2014 19:20 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I don't know how much work is involved with setting up one these but it sounds like a good idea. Maybe do a poll 1st and see what forum members would attend. That auction in Leicester had a facebook page where people posted what they were bringing. Could do something like that on the forum here. Just my thoughts though

Eric

More
25 Nov 2014 20:33 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
If tanks and livestock, especially the last one, are not included i cant see it being a successfull event :(

Anthony

More
25 Nov 2014 23:17 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Kildare town has a market for everything i know very little but there is one local to me called clara market i seen some fish realted items there. I think its less €30 for a stall and you can sell anything you like it could also work for a meeting place for others with items i like your idea hope this works for you.

Something fishie going on here

More
26 Nov 2014 12:07 #6 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

If tanks and livestock, especially the last one, are not included i cant see it being a successfull event :(

Anthony

Well nano tanks or tanks small enough to fit a car should be fine assuming seller wants to hall it around, but i don't myself taking my 450L with me :)
As far as livestock I don't see it viable very simply because you have to keep them alive all day assuming it's a full day event: i know i would not submit any of my fish through the trauma.

But the list of accessories and decorations could be a long one.

More
26 Nov 2014 14:17 #7 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
You would need an inside location. As anthony said livestock would make or break this event

More
21 Dec 2014 20:37 #8 by carlowchris (chris)
Dont think live stock was the original intent of this tread but many of us have stuff the cupboard were not using...

It would be quite easy if everyone decided to meet up say the first sunday of every month in say the car park of macdondalds around the corner of seahorse.....so long as everyone buys a big mac they cant really object to people looking in other peoples boots...so long as it only went on for half hour or so

be a good way to meet other forum members too

More
21 Dec 2014 23:06 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Dont think live stock was the original intent of this tread but many of us have stuff the cupboard were not using...

It would be quite easy if everyone decided to meet up say the first sunday of every month in say the car park of macdondalds around the corner of seahorse.....so long as everyone buys a big mac they cant really object to people looking in other peoples boots...so long as it only went on for half hour or so

be a good way to meet other forum members too

Tullamore be better more centeral for everyone around the country lol oh and i wouldn't have to travel

Something fishie going on here

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds