Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Any one else freaked out about thiaminase

More
31 Oct 2014 09:49 #1 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Hey guys,

I feed my piranha's a lot of fish and kept reading about the effects of thiaminase and why it's so bad. Obviously we want to feed our fish the best diet possible and freaked me out a bit that I might be actually giving them something that is bad for them. After a lot of research I found the website below which states the effects and lists all fish that don't contain thiaminase. So these days I only buy fillets that are on the no list - been feeding hake, salmon and cod recently. The site has put my mind at ease anyway and just thought I'd post it here cos it might help someone else. Now the effects of thiaminase might be over exaggerated and i'm not an expert on the matter but I would just prefer to stay clear from the stuff altogether. And my p's have been loving the hake and salmon.

www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

Alan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2014 11:43 #2 by paulv (paul vickers)
Thanks ski, very interesting read, might explain why my adult aro has being increasingly jumpy and not eating well over the last 3 to 4 months. Im feeding thawed out frozen prawn. I'll change to cod or haddock.

More
31 Oct 2014 11:46 #3 by Ski (Alan McGee)
No problem Paul, glad you found it useful. I used to feed my aro the same as well.

More
31 Oct 2014 18:49 #4 by ger310 (Ger .)
Very interesting read there Ski,thanks for posting

P.s Salmon is one messy food when it comes to feeding P's...........you know it dude!! .....not fecking cheap either!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
04 Nov 2014 09:42 #5 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Yeah I'm finding that out alright Ger. I'm only going to be using it as a treat or for the feeding just before a water change

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds