Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

spider Id

More
21 Sep 2014 15:05 - 21 Sep 2014 15:07 #1 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
spider Id was created by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Hi folks found this guy in the shed never seen anyone like it before anyone know if it's a dangerous one its the size of a 2euro and has quite big fangs keeps them tucked in all the time
notice the perfect cross on its back

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2014 15:07 by jeff (Jeff Scully).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2014 15:17 #2 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)

More
21 Sep 2014 15:38 #3 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic spider Id
Haha cheers mate theirs me thinking I found something cool and it turns out to be a fecking garden spider my memory is fading with age I think

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
21 Sep 2014 16:18 #4 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic spider Id
I hate walking into fully formed Spider webs, so much so, its all I can do not to scream like a little Girl, the feeling of the whole thing wrapping itself around my face freaks me out.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
21 Sep 2014 16:23 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic spider Id
You can get an app for the phone that will help the id for ya!

"Spider in da house" is what its called

More
21 Sep 2014 16:57 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I'm much the same kev you want to see me catching this one as I feared it was a dodgy one, the shivers down me back rushing back up into my face I was a little wus

That's a handy one Neil I'll look for that now as I was only reading the other day that their is more venomous spiders in Ireland and england than ever before, no more leaving the window open a bit at night for me as most of them will try get in now that the summer is over and they need heat

More
21 Sep 2014 18:05 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
There is some absolute rubbish being written recently in the Irish and UK press about "deadly" spiders.

A lot of makey-uppy stuff, some is self-promoting stuff, and others are just scaremongering for the sake of it.

Even Currys sold me a bloody False Widow Spider the other day under the disguise of an American Fridge Freezer :D

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
21 Sep 2014 18:23 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic spider Id
I had this sent to me and it seems vaguely appropriate...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
21 Sep 2014 18:38 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

John

That's the one, far right 3rd row down...........wait 'til my local TD hears about this...........of Joe Duffy.

Nope..........I can't tell my local TD as he may place an additional tax on me.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
21 Sep 2014 18:40 - 21 Sep 2014 18:45 #10 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Replied by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera) on topic spider Id

John

Hahaha

Seriously guys a bite from any european spider is not a big deal, got bite like two years ago and I just had the part of the leg where I got bitten a bit hot and red but it only lasted a couple of days...nothing compared with bee, wasp or jellyfish.

That one seems similar to my new friend, put my face in her net the other day but I didn't break it too much
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2014 18:45 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
21 Sep 2014 20:10 - 21 Sep 2014 20:11 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Yeah, of all the dangers from Irish wildlife, I think I'd put spiders (whether a false widow or otherwise) far down on the list. Now a bite from a cleg, that I can do without! :pinch: :-(

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 21 Sep 2014 20:11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
21 Sep 2014 20:15 #12 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
What's a cleg??

More
21 Sep 2014 20:21 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

What's a cleg??

an effing big horsefly. scary huge.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
21 Sep 2014 20:41 #14 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Just had a quick google'dy on them their and I'm getting pics of something that looks like a wasp got up on a fly and boom a waspyfly but the bites look nasty
Or is it them fly things I see now and again over in the park looks like a horsefly but nearly 3 times the size and sounds like a miniature airplane when it goes past yeh, now their freaky

More
21 Sep 2014 20:49 #15 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
www.isledegrande.com/giimages9/horsefly.jpg
Thats them..
Painful buggers

More
21 Sep 2014 20:52 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Just had a quick google'dy on them their and I'm getting pics of something that looks like a wasp got up on a fly and boom a waspyfly but the bites look nasty
Or is it them fly things I see now and again over in the park looks like a horsefly but nearly 3 times the size and sounds like a miniature airplane when it goes past yeh, now their freaky

Sounds like it alright. The thing about horseflies (apart from the fact I seem to attract them) is that they don't use a nice tiny needle like a mosquito. They have great stabby mouthparts :pinch: . They actually make a cut and then lick it up!

More
21 Sep 2014 20:57 - 21 Sep 2014 20:58 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

www.isledegrande.com/giimages9/horsefly.jpg
Thats them..
Painful buggers

I love all God's creatures and I think they all have their place... and I think their place is under the end of a swiftly moving rolled up newspaper :whistle:

Last edit: 21 Sep 2014 20:58 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
21 Sep 2014 21:10 #18 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Sounds like they like ur blood

More
21 Sep 2014 21:13 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

yeah, my dad says it's either that or I smell like a horse... :blink:

More
21 Sep 2014 21:14 #20 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
That not the one I was thinking of they look like the waspyfly thing didn't think they done much damage

More
21 Sep 2014 21:16 #21 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Haha mehheheheh giddy up boy

More
21 Sep 2014 21:54 #22 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

Maybe ya need to start being an ignorant nasty bugger like me..... i was always too sweet and gettin eatten by these buggers

They leave me alone now tho

More
22 Sep 2014 20:15 #23 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Replied by Jim (Jim Lawlor) on topic spider Id

Hahaha

Seriously guys a bite from any european spider is not a big deal, got bite like two years ago and I just had the part of the leg where I got bitten a bit hot and red but it only lasted a couple of days...nothing compared with bee, wasp or jellyfish.

I knew Irish spiders could bite - but really surprised the pain lasted a few days! I've had wasps give me multiple stings and all OK after a few hours. That's actually made me a bit more wary of them!

More
23 Sep 2014 10:25 #24 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Replied by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera) on topic spider Id
Don't worry Jim I wouldn't consider it a pain is more a warm skin sensation.

That cleg fly bite must be quite painful, remember my father told me about their bite.

Well guys at least you don't have vipers and scorpions...back in my region I used to love collecting rocks and I can't tell you the times I have found little scorpions under a rock!

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds