Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Live fish feeding

More
30 Oct 2014 00:53 #1 by JohnH (John)
Any videos depicting the feeding of live fish, mammals or the like to predatory fish will be removed.

This was always the case since long before my time here but the rule has somehow become deleted, so this is to remedy that 'omission'.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2014 10:14 #2 by paulv (paul vickers)
There is no need to feed live fish to other fish when there is so many other alternatives.

More
30 Oct 2014 12:44 #3 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Perhaps my mind is in work mode and i am missing an obvious point. But I can't help to wonder why?

- We eat live food (ie: oysters)
- We kill animals in awful conditions to feed

Predatory fish are what they are and in nature they would feed from live foods: it's nature. Why this rule?

More
30 Oct 2014 13:44 - 30 Oct 2014 13:45 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Perhaps my mind is in work mode and i am missing an obvious point. But I can't help to wonder why?

- We eat live food (ie: oysters)
- We kill animals in awful conditions to feed

Predatory fish are what they are and in nature they would feed from live foods: it's nature. Why this rule?

I guess it's all about where you draw your ethical boundaries. Humans eat the likes of oysters etc and most of us would happily feed fish live invertebrates without grieving too much for them. But if you follow that argument to its logical conclusion, then eating anything alive would be reasonable behaviour and I don't think any of us would agree with that. Also, our mistreatment of one group of animals does not justify ill treatment of another. Humans murder each other in many parts of the world at a frightful rate and for awful reasons; that still doesn't justify murder in any way.

The fact is that in the majority of cases, feeding a predatory fish another living fish is unhealthy, dietarily unnecessary and, in my experience, not usually done for the benefit of the fish but rather for the entertainment of the owner.

I feel I should clarify that I was raised in the country, my father was a butcher, I worked in a meat factory and I enjoy keeping pets but I don't think they're "like family". On the flipside, I love wildlife in every form and I always pick up spiders and put them outside rather than squashing them. My point is, I think there's a happy medium between being cruel for cruelty's sake and being overly sentimental.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 30 Oct 2014 13:45 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
30 Oct 2014 22:05 #5 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
I grew up in Africa surrounded by domestic pets and spending a lot of time outdoors. grandfather/father were a big hunters (including elephants) and fishermen (ie Goliath tiger fish). I did a lot of fishing and a lot of it without a conscience and i regret it all the time now that i am more aware of where the world stands. i can understand your arguments perfectly and i guess what i questioned really is the rule on forum but that is because i wouldn't be thinking of feeding a fish to another as entertainment. But i honestly would have no problem doing it while trying to replicate the fish diet and perhaps help the fish thrive by allowing it to perform its natural behaviour.

More
30 Oct 2014 22:11 #6 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)
Hi. In nature the pray has a chance to escape. In a glass box it has none. This Is just the way I look at it.

More
30 Oct 2014 22:59 #7 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Live fish feeding
You only have to look at comments on youtube, here the comments indicate it is solely done for the pleasure of those doing it, I am against it completely.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
31 Oct 2014 06:46 #8 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Hi. In nature the pray has a chance to escape. In a glass box it has none. This Is just the way I look at it.

what about the beef/lamb/pork and chicken you eat ?

More
31 Oct 2014 07:00 #9 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Guys I am stirring things up but really each one to their own opinion.
If its the video posted on Arowanas the truth is i cant recall them feeding fish. I do recall them feeding some type of live worms. Nonetheless the video is fantastic and the fish stunning.
The handling and explotation of fish just to satisfy OUR hobby is the biggest killer of fish, probably more so than feeding your predator fish some real live food.

Now i know most people conveniently ignore that fact and that's fine => it's the double standard I am trying to illustrate here.

More
31 Oct 2014 08:47 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

I agree with you there , i dont know of any coldwater goldfish either in the Amazon river.

Something fishie going on here

More
31 Oct 2014 09:19 #11 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic Live fish feeding

This is the reason I don't feed live either. Also more often than not feeder fish are just bitten in half and left alive struggling for ages.

Plus I wouldn't want to bring anything into my tanks

More
31 Oct 2014 09:33 #12 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I think I started this as well by posting a video from youtube of some cool monster fish. It was just a coincidence that the owner of the tank had goldfish in there as well. I wasn't condoning the use of feeders.

More
31 Oct 2014 09:45 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I always give a steak a sporting chance to escape... before I cover it in peppercorn sauce and eat it :P

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
31 Oct 2014 09:50 #14 by Ski (Alan McGee)

I always give a steak a sporting chance to escape... before I cover it in peppercorn sauce and eat it :P

lol

More
31 Oct 2014 13:28 #15 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

hilarious i laughed for a while there

More
31 Oct 2014 15:04 #16 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I know of a couple of betta breeders from a different forum that keep some snakeheads and regularly feed them runts that they would cull anyway. But for entertainment purposes im completely against it

Eric

More
31 Oct 2014 20:38 #17 by Kmd (Keith mc donagh)

Guys I am stirring things up but really each one to their own opinion.
If its the video posted on Arowanas the truth is i cant recall them feeding fish. I do recall them feeding some type of live worms. Nonetheless the video is fantastic and the fish stunning.
The handling and explotation of fish just to satisfy OUR hobby is the biggest killer of fish, probably more so than feeding your predator fish some real live food.

Now i know most people conveniently ignore that fact and that's fine => it's the double standard I am trying to illustrate here.

Yes I completely agree about this hobby. But a lot of it is from new people in the hobby been given wrong information, buy shops. I no I was completely lied to when I started, and I lost three fish that didn't need to die. I was lucky to have found a shop that helped me, and the other fish lived. It's through good forums like this, and good thrusted shops that less fish will die.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds