Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Advice: Nannacara anamola

More
10 Aug 2014 19:35 #1 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
I've searched for threads and I might be wrong, but I couldn't find any :)

I've currently got a pair of nannacara in my community tank. I rescaped a little yesterday just because. And today, they seem to be chasing each other. They've never shown that behaviour before.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Can you point me in the right direction for breeding these successfully

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2014 21:53 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
When they do breed, remove him, she will dispatch him to his maker! Even in a large tank.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
10 Aug 2014 22:02 #3 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Is the boy chasing the girl or vice versa?

More
10 Aug 2014 23:13 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Its not ideal breeding these in a community set up.
After breeding she will take on the world to protect the eggs/young. The male is usually the first killed.

More
11 Aug 2014 10:52 #5 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
So, I've had a look this morning. Both fish are still fine, as are the rest of the tank :)

I have noticed tho, that the male has gone hiding behind a java fern and rock, which is unusual because he's usually very active and a bit of a character.

She has been chasing some of the Lemons off from the area too.

I assume this is a territorial thing and she is preparing too or already has started to breed? What should I be looking out for in terms of eggs etc?

More
11 Aug 2014 13:13 #6 by JohnH (John)
If your male is the one pictured in your profile I would suggest he is nowhere near ready to breed yet. I suspect the 'discord' is merely because - by changing the 'furniture' around you have rather upset the applecart and the female has taken the upper hand.
I, too, have read that after spawning a female will kill her mate, but my Nannacaras couldn't have read that as each time mine have spawned everything has stayed pretty peaceful for the first few hours - then the male - being a good deal bulkier than both females - has just barged either one aside and gobbled up the eggs.
But here's a little rundown of my experiences with them...they have never laid eggs in a cave - the nest site is almost always (with female 1) on top of a half-coconut-shell cave while female 2 prefers the top of a sponge of a double air-driven filter. It has always been the female which has taken over parental duties - but with this particular male those duties never got the chance to develop
I haven't bothered to try to rescue any eggs but do have plans to try this next time the male spawns with either female and have a go at hatching some artificially - well, that's the idea, anyway. Both females are looking pretty plump, so I mightn't have too long to wait.
I hope that peace resumes between your pair quickly and that the male develops and becomes a better father than mine has proved to be so far.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
30 Sep 2014 11:59 #7 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Resurrecting this thread again

My female has taken to defending one side of the tank vehemently the last two days. My male has taken to hiding in my anubias on the far side of the tank, likely staying away from her.

This is her current colour. I can't find any eggs however, she's definitely hiding under a rock that's like a cave to her.
Attachments:

More
30 Sep 2014 13:08 #8 by JohnH (John)
She is definitely wearing her spawning garb - any up-to-date pic of the male?

John

ITFS member.

More
30 Sep 2014 13:11 #9 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Unfortunately not, cos he's been hiding deep in the tank.

He was very dark yesterday. They're due a feed this evening so I'll try get a snap if he ventures out.

He does seem to be acting like a scolded child tho :laugh:

More
30 Sep 2014 15:54 #10 by Homer (Kevin)
The stress itself can end up killing him, his immune system can itself be compromised leading to bacterial infection,, she can be an absolute thug.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
01 Oct 2014 00:55 #11 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
The couple of experiences I had with them the male did not last long after spawning in a meter long tank.
Between physical or psychological warfare the males always met there maker.

Good luck with them, but keep an eye on them.

@ JohnH. I would have liked to put your male up against some of the fire breeding females I had. I think it would have made a good match.

More
01 Oct 2014 08:51 #12 by JohnH (John)
He spawned with one of the females on Sunday and - because I wanted to (still) try to have a 'natural' hatching I left everything as it was - he battered the female so badly that she was dead next morning and the eggs were gone again.
The other female's looking a bit 'broody' today so - if they breed again I will DEFINITELY remove the eggs this time.
He really is quite a brute!

John

ITFS member.

More
03 Oct 2014 18:29 #13 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)

She got a bit boisterous :blink: Glad thought, she's back to her calmer self today and getting on with everyone again

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds