Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Damn whitespot

More
27 Jan 2015 08:43 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Well its been years since I've had whitespot but this past week has been a bad one for the tak.I introduced some new fish 2 weeks ago,i dont have a quarantine tank at present so ran the risk. Anyhow I noticed flicking and some whitespot on the tank 10 days ago.So i got WS3,raised the temp to 29c abd added an airstone and treated the tank.(ive no carbon so meds should work).I treated Sunday,Tuesday and Thursday.I did a water reading also and noticed the nitrites were 0.05ppm.I did a 100 litre water change on Thursday before the 3rd dose. The whitespot hasnt improved and nitrite reading also still not right.I did a further 100 litre change on Sunday and also did a sump clean out as it was overdue and u suspect may have added to the issue.So im due to treat again tonight,the nitrite is still there and the cardinals look v poorly with whitespot.Its seems to be just the cardinals now effected,all other fish are not showing whitespot but they arent themselves either so i suspect water quality and temp isnt helping them.Ive checked tank for any dead fish but none evident.i did lose some fish over the weekend to it but they were removed.I know the Ich life cycle so it should be improving by now but ive noticed the cardinals getting worse and their fins/tails are in tatters from it.
As i said ive kept fish a while and never came across this tough a strain of whitespot.
Any help or experiences with hard to shift whitespot is welcomed at this stage.I plan on treating again tonight and will do a further 100 litre water change thursday night before another treatment.(as per bottle im following the dosage).
Fish keeping eh. .even after all these years you still make silly mistakes and meet new challenges!!

Gavin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2015 10:21 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Damn whitespot
Gavin,
I am not a fan of WS3 at the best of times - even though many years ago I swore by it.
Nowadays I always use Protozin from Waterlife at the very first sign of the disease - before it gets an opportunity to 'take hold'. Seemingly WS3 was re-made in or around the eighties at a weaker strength and this (quite naturally) reduced its effectiveness - hence my change.

For some reason which I nerver quite understood Tetra always seemed to be the first genus of fish to show signs of whitespot and suffer worse from it - although I know of no logical reason for this.

I've also never witnessed an increase in nitrites as a result of the treatment and suspect you may have been thinking along the right lines in looking for decomposing corpses.
I wonder it isn't beyond the realms of fishy logic to guess if - being poorly - the fish aren't eating as much and uneaten food could be the cause? - Just a thought...
I hope you get on top of this outbreak without losing too many fish - it's never nice to lose ANY - especially ones you've had for a long time.

I don't want to go down the route of 'told you so' (even though I haven't) but a quarantine tank in this day and age really is a must - I remember a time when no fish would even be offered for sale until it had been quarantined for at least a fortnight, but now fish arrive and are immediately up for sale so the onus of quarantine is put upon us purchasers.

A brutal lesson 're-learned'?

Good luck with getting over this outbreak, I think your first plan of attack might well be a different treatment.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 Jan 2015 10:40 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Im thinking that might be an option alright John.Its my first time using WS3 and i cant say its been any use so far.I may check out another type and see how that works.Although the fishes appetite is good still thankfully but ive cut back on the food also.

Gavin

More
27 Jan 2015 10:58 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Im also a fan of protozin
its what ive always used to treat white spot and never had it more than 3 or 4 days in any one spell

worth the purchase in my opinion

(must get more myself)

More
27 Jan 2015 11:00 - 27 Jan 2015 11:01 #5 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Damn whitespot
I got this in Canada, I had dreadful Ich on my Cardinals, 30 of them, I dosed accordingly and within 40 Hours, Gone!!

www.petmountain.com/product/external-par...fish-medication.html

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 27 Jan 2015 11:01 by Homer (Kevin).

More
27 Jan 2015 13:53 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Anyone ever try JBL Punktol?
Thats about all thats nearby here im afraid.

More
27 Jan 2015 18:19 - 27 Jan 2015 18:20 #7 by JohnH (John)
I have never tried that Gavin, but in the main I've heard good comments about JBL medications so, if that's all that's available it has to be an improvement on the WS3, I reckon.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 27 Jan 2015 18:20 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling

More
27 Jan 2015 18:42 #8 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
John I ended up going into town in the end to get API white spot cure.Ive tried that previously and found it good.Question is do i add straight to tank tonight.The Ws3 was due another dose tonight so im going to just use the API one. What i also like about this med is there slime coat also in the med which should hopefully help the cardinals dreadful fin damage from this whitespot.

Gavin

More
27 Jan 2015 19:49 #9 by JohnH (John)
I would - personally - have done a bit of a water change, just to be on the 'safe' side but my guess is that the existing WS3 would have degraded enough that if any remained it would be inert enough to react with the new one (haven't used that one, either).

John

ITFS member.

More
27 Jan 2015 20:15 #10 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Protozin is a great med...if the fish can bear the temp, just up it to 30c and no more white spot....I keep discus mainly with a bunch of tetra varieties so my tank is always at 28c....ic his never an issue...when I did have to worry about it I found protozin to be the business...

More
27 Jan 2015 20:39 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
For freshwater whitespot.....Waterlife Protozin is the best off-the-shelf med for nearly all fish; but I sometimes recommend eSHa Exit for the more sensitive fish.
But for marine "whitespot" (totally different to freshwater WS).......it's back to my favourite product, (of which I recon JohnH could guess): Waterlife Octozin.

I would recommend doing a water change and running a carbon filter when changing medication (especially when dosing with the more potent products).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
27 Jan 2015 21:15 #12 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Good advise lads, Im thinking so if I run the carbon for 24 hours, and carry out a partial water change tomorrow evening and then start the API treatement then it might be the best way to go ?

Gavin

More
27 Jan 2015 23:28 #13 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
You should do a water change, add carbon for sure for 24 hours to remove the existing meds before starting the API you bought...polyfilter would also do the trick...just never a good idea mixing meds as the fish may not take it well....safe than sorry and only a day to wait...did the first med just not work? I can't imagine a 3 day course for ick ever working given lifecycle of parasite....

Anyhow, it can be treated very effectively.....

More
27 Jan 2015 23:42 #14 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Cabon added and water ready to change 100 litres tomorrow night and then ill start the API.
The first med didnt work and we are 9 days into it,cardinals showing no improvement so API will hopefully have more luck.Frustrating is the word!
Also i am dubious about my Nitrite reading and the test kit possibly giving off a wrong value.Its a JBL combiset and is in date until June this year but I have my doubts really given the tank shouldnt be suffering from this.
Hopefully Joemc might have a testkit to help me out!! All other fish seem to coping well but id much prefer to turn my temp down in the next week!

Gavin

More
28 Jan 2015 08:43 #15 by Homer (Kevin)
Hey Brian, I have to repeat this, the API med worked in two doses according to the instructions, 30 degrees c high oxygen and little disturbance, 40 hours for dose one, 40 for dose two and Water change 40 later, ich is totally gone, fish are no longer rapidly breathing and colour intensity has returned, lost 2 out of more than 30 cardinals.

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
28 Jan 2015 10:53 - 28 Jan 2015 10:54 #16 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Hi Kev,yeah im going to follow the instructions and i will leave the temps up.I just want to clear this whitespot now...and reduce my temp slowly once the full treatment is done.

Gavin
Last edit: 28 Jan 2015 10:54 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
28 Jan 2015 17:26 #17 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Hey Brian, I have to repeat this, the API med worked in two doses according to the instructions, 30 degrees c high oxygen and little disturbance, 40 hours for dose one, 40 for dose two and Water change 40 later, ich is totally gone, fish are no longer rapidly breathing and colour intensity has returned, lost 2 out of more than 30 cardinals.

Kev.

Wow Kev...so basically 4 days in total with augmented temp...good one. Hope all is well btw..
Brian

More
28 Jan 2015 19:13 #18 by Homer (Kevin)
Yep, I do the water change this evening, all still perfect.

I'm good thanks Brian, Hope you are too.

Kev.

More
28 Jan 2015 21:16 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I had dreadful Ich on my Cardinals

You probably need an antibiotic for that... :pinch: :woohoo: :sick: :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
28 Jan 2015 22:25 #20 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Damn whitespot

I had dreadful Ich on my Cardinals

You probably need an antibiotic for that... :pinch: :woohoo: :sick: :whistle:

Brilliant :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eric

More
29 Jan 2015 00:50 #21 by Homer (Kevin)
I thought that when typing but thought, nah, it'll be fine....NOT!

Kev.

More
02 Feb 2015 12:07 #22 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Well im now over 2 weeks treating,i changed to API on Tuesday last and have dosed twice with that and last night i gave one further dose(3rd).The cardinals still have whitespot and while the other fish are clear of it,the cardinals still covered..albeit only 5 or 6 them at this stage showing alot of spots.i will consider a further dose tomorrow but at that stage im wondering how long more can this persist.ive treated with WS3 and now API..yet some of the cardinals still have it..very frustrating..ive lost maybe 6-10 fish that i know of anyhow...also have one or two missing but they may reappear yet.
Its all very frustrating and expensive too at this stage.Guess all i can do is keep persisting.certainly the worst strain of whitespot ive encountered over the years.

Gavin

More
02 Feb 2015 12:43 #23 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I hope things improve for you. I have had entire tanks wiped out from whitespot. Have you lost many fish ?
A friend has used Super ick cure from API on his tank a few weeks ago and it got rid of everything. He turned temp up to 30 c and added 2 big air pumps on the tank. He lost about 8 fish out of 100. Hope you start getting results soon.

More
02 Feb 2015 13:24 #24 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Damn whitespot
I have used ws3 a few times and it has always worked for me within a few days ur treating a while now I'm just wondering will this prolonged treatment cause any other issues and is it definitely white spot what they have because if it's on them it's in the tank and would be on the other fish I'd think

More
02 Feb 2015 14:08 #25 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Some fish are more prone to these illnesses and this strain does seem to be v much hitting the cardinals...i would wonder alright if there is a danger that this prolonged treatment will have an adverse effect on the fishes health...i cannot see what other disease it is,it.must be whitespot I feel,i cannot determine any other disease thats showing these sympyoms.
G

More
06 Feb 2015 23:01 #26 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I am still treating the tank...its close to 3 weeks now...the cardinals still have spots bit all fish appear ok niw at this stage...quite a few of the cardinals have cleared bit still a few showing signs of whitespot...this whitespot med is ever so slow to work...lost another few fish this week..all fish are eating fine...may have to treat again tomorrow.night...costing me a fortune as well.
Gavin

More
06 Feb 2015 23:59 #27 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Damn whitespot
I have cardinals there that had whitespot which one of the fish is finding it hard to shift aswel

More
07 Feb 2015 00:07 - 07 Feb 2015 00:08 #28 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Cardinals are only ones that are showing it now i think
Last edit: 07 Feb 2015 00:08 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
07 Feb 2015 01:27 #29 by Homer (Kevin)
While treating, try Garlic guard or Garlic Brine Shrimp.

Kev.

More
07 Feb 2015 08:25 #30 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Thanks Kev I'll try adding s9me garlic to the food to give them a boost.

Gavin

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds