Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pressure filters - pros and cons

More
07 Aug 2016 21:27 #1 by alan 64 (alan)
If ur ever replacing ur old one robert let me know id be interested in it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2016 21:33 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Just waiting to get some feed back on it from a very experienced koi keeper in the uk .the filter i am looking at is very much overkill but hopfully that will mean a very reduced amount of maintainance

More
08 Aug 2016 02:13 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
What type of filter is it robert i would be interested in looking it up

More
08 Aug 2016 06:51 #4 by robert (robert carter)
The filter i am looking at is an ALL POND SOLUTIONS Ko Pressurised POnd Filter with built in55 watt uv 50000 litre PFC 5000 . COST 400 sterling . This uses k2 media in a moving bed , i would replace the bio balls with bio home media , the thing i reallly like is that the sponges can be cleaned without removing them . Its very much overkill but hopsfully that would mean less maintaince . The price for what it is seems brilliant compared to anything similar i have looked at . The next one down is very much smaller only 75 litres of media compared to 175 litres of media and it doesnt use a moving bed , cost saving is only 65 stering

More
08 Aug 2016 09:01 #5 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
The only thing I have heard on the pressure filters in general is that water is pretty much forced through the system allowing for good mechanical filtration but the biological side slips. Water doesn't spend enough time in the media. This is just what I have read on other forums, I have no experience with them. That is why I steered clear of them.

More
08 Aug 2016 13:19 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , certainly agree to an extent with what you are saying my plan is to take out the bio balls and replace them with the bio home media from the old filter ,i also intend to run on my current 8000 litre an hour pump this is half of the maxium flow rate so should allow the water a longer time inthe filter , finally this is a very big unit and also uses a k2 moving bed filter for biological filtration. Its rated at 50000 litre pond mine is just under 5000 so this is massive overkill .

More
08 Aug 2016 13:28 #7 by JohnH (John)
NB,
As the topic has veered away from Ger's original pond build (albeit fairly marginally) it was decided to start a new topic in order to keep them apart.
No offence intended.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
08 Aug 2016 13:45 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks John ,sometimes topics are intertwinded to hard to seperate

More
08 Aug 2016 13:47 #9 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Alan , have ordered the new filter this morning so should have it for the weekend , so the old unit will be available next week

More
08 Aug 2016 14:41 #10 by alan 64 (alan)
Ok cool mate sure pm me what u are looking for it and the details on it robert

More
08 Aug 2016 15:34 #11 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Alan ,yes it will be going as soon as the new one is up and running . Its a all pond solution 3 box filter with a 35 uv new tube went in a month ago . I wont be selling the pump with . Dont really know what its worth secondhand ,what did you have in mind ?

More
08 Aug 2016 19:50 #12 by alan 64 (alan)
What media is in it robert and what would u be happy with price wise

More
08 Aug 2016 20:00 #13 by robert (robert carter)
Currenty there is coarse and fine sponges plus japanese matting in first two boxes ,the third has biohome in it this i will be taking this out for the new filter and putting sponges into the third box as per the original set up . Its not a bad filter just wanted to upgrade with a bit less maintainance . When i have it out i can post some pictures . Price wise was thinking about 80 euro seeing it has the 35 watt uv as well.

More
08 Aug 2016 20:59 #14 by nomad (pat murphy)
That's a VERY generous offer Robert,ive seen it and its a fine setup and taking in to account what the new replacement uv bulb would cost alone ,fair play.

More
08 Aug 2016 21:03 #15 by alan 64 (alan)
Cool robert when u have it all out il pop up and take a look

More
08 Aug 2016 21:14 #16 by robert (robert carter)
Hi nomad and Alan , i like everyone else here on the forum is in the hobby for the enjoyment and not to make money so if i can help someone out great , after all its better than throwing it in the bin . Everyone on the forum has been great to me answering endless questions and giving brilliant help and advise so my turn to try and help someone esle out . Alan its on hold for you to view . Thanks Robert

More
08 Aug 2016 21:33 #17 by alan 64 (alan)
Cheers robert il check it over and il.be happy with the 80 euro so i should be taking it and cant wait to see ur new filter it looks real impressive from what ive read

More
09 Aug 2016 09:28 #18 by alan 64 (alan)
How the condition of the sponges robert will they need replacing

More
09 Aug 2016 10:15 #19 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
And I would just like to thank you also Robert for answering some of my endless questions also!!! Knowledge is there to be shared!!

More
09 Aug 2016 12:07 #20 by robert (robert carter)
Complete set of sponges were replaced last yesr ,

More
09 Aug 2016 17:26 #21 by alan 64 (alan)
Sound i should get a few years ove them so

More
09 Aug 2016 17:33 #22 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Alan got confirnmation today that the new filter will be here on Friday , hoping to do the install on sunday

More
10 Aug 2016 09:26 #23 by alan 64 (alan)
Good man il get up to unat some stage next week so

More
11 Aug 2016 18:15 #24 by robert (robert carter)
The new filter arrived this afternoon , a nice looking bit of kit , hoping to installed it tomorrow , then will post a few pictures

More
12 Aug 2016 16:55 #25 by robert (robert carter)
pictures of the new filter , the bio balls have been replaced with bio home ultimate media, flow rate through the filter is 8000 litres an hour . very neat compact unit that incorporates a moving bed filter and sponges that can be cleaned without removing them

More
12 Aug 2016 16:58 #26 by robert (robert carter)
hi Alan these are a few pictures of the old filter before I dismantled it
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2016 17:48 #27 by alan 64 (alan)
Cheers robert i presume u have the lids off it yes, ur new filter is so neat isnt it realy takes up so little space

More
12 Aug 2016 17:53 #28 by robert (robert carter)
yes just took the lids off for photos

More
12 Aug 2016 17:54 #29 by alan 64 (alan)
Cool robert il be up tuesday for it thanks mate il get a look atbur new filter then

More
12 Aug 2016 18:06 #30 by robert (robert carter)
Its hard to believe that the new filter is rated for a 28000 litre heavily stocked koi pond , were as the old one which was bigger was only rated at 10000 litres . Modern tech i surpose

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds