Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

goldfish fry

More
21 Feb 2017 22:10 #1 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
In here I wish to show the development of my fry and share my experience. The fry are under a week old, I'll add pictures once they become 1 week old

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2017 17:02 #2 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Would be great to follow. Only had fry twice, I spotted them the night before going away on holiday so there was nothing I could do and then the next was when a baby goldfish appeared in the pond. He's about 2 ish now and is going through several colour changes so I don't know how he'll turn out or who in there is the parents.

Looking forward to pics!

More
22 Feb 2017 21:03 #3 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic goldfish fry
Bought a goldfish and some sarasa comets about 3 years ago because of their colour and pattern,sarasa,s kept their colour and pattern but the goldfish colour transition was odd to see.It was originally full orange all along the top of the body going roughly half way down the sides and the rest of the sides and underbelly was white,over time the white turned black so had an orange and black fish.It had lipstick red lips and the black and orange colour over time turned back to white with a yellow patch on the upper body,currently now its all white and no red lips anymore.....

More
22 Feb 2017 22:28 - 22 Feb 2017 22:29 #4 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
The chap in the pond was born brown/black and has since been fully orange, orange and black and is now black on top, orange in the sides and whitish on the bottom. I have goldies, shubunkins and sarasa's in the pond so I had no idea what way it was gonna go
Last edit: 22 Feb 2017 22:29 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan).

More
22 Feb 2017 22:39 #5 by nomad (pat murphy)
Would be nice to know the reason why this happens,imagine if the same trait of colour and pattern change started to happen in expensive koi.Koi have some really nice colour patterns,pity they couldnt be bred to a smaller size for smaller pond keepers like they do with other dog species,schnauzers,english bulls,etc.

More
22 Feb 2017 22:53 #6 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Koi breeders wouldnt make as much profit. With the amount of man made if you get me breeds I'm sure it's possible.
Also serious keepers do not recognize butterfly koi as types of koi, they see them as a lower quality of fish so with that in mind can you imagine reactions to a mini sanke or bekko?! Snobs!

More
22 Feb 2017 22:55 #7 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Replied by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin) on topic goldfish fry
Goldfish are born blackish brown and as they develop they get their traits.
I am wondering if anyone knows a place where I would be able to sell the fry when they reach the age and start to get colour? ???

More
22 Feb 2017 23:05 - 22 Feb 2017 23:06 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic goldfish fry
Us koi keepers arnt snobs we just love the king of all fish the koi . From keeping koi for 30 yrs it never ceases to amaze me the way they can change colour . Recently brought a koi 6 inches insize from seahorse , it was two shades of a dirty cream colour and scaleless ,very unusal , it is now 4 months later two loverly shades of blue and has a orange belly , canwait to get it into the pond and see it at 18 inches .
Last edit: 22 Feb 2017 23:06 by robert (robert carter). Reason: Spelling

More
22 Feb 2017 23:10 - 22 Feb 2017 23:11 #9 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
The snobs remark was meant in a light hearted way!! Some of the nicest fish for fins I've seen have been butterfly's but a lot of what I've read people do not rate them

Will he get scales as he ages do you think?
Last edit: 22 Feb 2017 23:11 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan).

More
22 Feb 2017 23:13 #10 by robert (robert carter)
I know it was meant in jest , personnally i have never kept butterfly koi , just dont like them and i believe they can be harder than ordinary koi to keep

More
22 Feb 2017 23:20 #11 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Do you think your latest purchase will grow scales? Is he done colouring or will the be more changes?

More
22 Feb 2017 23:37 #12 by nomad (pat murphy)
Interesting to hear that koi change colour especially if your paying big bucks for a fish at that time that has the colour and pattern that you like only to have it change down the road.The sarasas held their colour pattern without any colour pattern change so wondering what would keep that stable.

More
22 Feb 2017 23:45 #13 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
I'm assuming good varied diet, great water quality, good filtration and aeration, space, not too much sunlight, regular water changes and regular maintenance of equipment. That without meaning to come across as being cocky or smart seems to be the main answers to many fish keeping related questions. My sarasa's would have started live in the tank and when the pond was built they went out, I've not noticed and huge change in colour, body white may have a twinge of yellow but that maybe the difference to the eye with lighting

More
23 Feb 2017 12:04 #14 by robert (robert carter)
I think ever fishkeeper know water quality is what its all about , i think it is a good indication of things when the fish colours up , a fish losing it colour is normally a sign of it being ill or bad conditioned . Some of the photos members post here are incredable the colours vibarate . With koi a dotsu or scaleless fish will never grow scales , and in general a good quality koi once about 12 inch long is unlikely to change colour , and hopefully the colours would become more defined and viberant

More
25 Feb 2017 20:30 #15 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
goldfish fry week 1. i couldnt get the best pictures as the fish were movin to fast to capture them with my camera.
video (1) goldfish fry week 1
video (2) goldfish fry week 1

More
27 Feb 2017 11:46 #16 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
What have you got in there, heater, airstone and canadian pond weed? Any filter?

More
27 Feb 2017 12:52 #17 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
Replied by iain54 (Iain Minchin) on topic goldfish fry
That's so cool never seen or heard of many breeding goldfish

More
27 Feb 2017 18:18 #18 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
I have airstone, heater, anacharis,Japanese carpet plant, java fern, trying to grow back my plants as my goldfish absolutely destroyed them. I don't have a filter at the moment, looking for one

More
27 Feb 2017 18:20 #19 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
I am not really breeding them but would like to in the future when they are proper age, hoping these fry turn out good

More
27 Feb 2017 19:20 #20 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Guys I have just had my quail hatching just wondering if there is any pace on the forum where I can show pictures of them as they are so cute

More
27 Feb 2017 20:58 #21 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic goldfish fry

Guys I have just had my quail hatching just wondering if there is any pace on the forum where I can show pictures of them as they are so cute

Although the title is not totally appropriate you could post your pics in the 'Social and Rubbish' section, it's where all the non-fishy stuff is meant to be posted.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Mar 2017 19:04 #22 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
fry at week 2

More
04 Mar 2017 19:09 #23 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
They look tiny

More
04 Mar 2017 19:20 #24 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Video of fry week2
Trust Ian they are tiny

More
04 Mar 2017 20:53 #25 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
Makes you wonder how any survive in the wild

More
11 Mar 2017 18:24 #26 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
In all fairness they lay like 1000s of eggs in the wild and many get eaten and some lucky ones hatch and even luckier ones survive

More
11 Mar 2017 20:13 #27 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
video of fry week 3
ps i found a better way to show the fry

More
11 Mar 2017 22:54 #28 by robert (robert carter)
The music scared the sxxt out of me when it starter , anyway the fry are looking good

More
12 Mar 2017 08:38 #29 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Lol sorry about the music, I didn't even listen to it but I just it in because I didn't anyone hearing the chatter in between

More
15 Mar 2017 07:50 #30 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
All the fry died bar 6. Quite upset about this

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds