Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Upgrade to RSM 130 DPlanning permission granted

More
04 May 2015 20:59 #1 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Hey all been busy of late setting up a new tank .
Have got myself a Red Sea Max 130 D and have started to cycle it.
Have Added 19 kg of aragonite carib sea
20 kg of live rock.
Upgrades :
tunze osmolator
Jebao rw 4
Stevie T media rack
Tunze 9001 new type 10 days for arrival
ecotech radion xr15w pro lighting 10 days for arrival
I have also upgraded the fans in the hood and have STC 1000 settup also with 1 fan and the heater.
Have added CUC now but nothing else. Waiting on rods to finish rock scape with marine cement this week and then i will move the tank to it permenant place and take down fluval.All corals will be moved then from old to new tank.Have not fully figured out what i will be stocking in it just yet but going to get something special . I will have 2 clowns also for sure. Added some copepods today so hoping they will do well before i have added any fish .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2015 21:06 #2 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Few snaps of the tank progress so far.

More
04 May 2015 21:25 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Looks great!
Love them tanks! They always make a nice looking setup!

More
04 May 2015 21:31 #4 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
ya i am very happy with it. Will be nice when it is on place with coral and fish and all mods added. Will take some time though. but as i have learned it is worth waiting so you dont have meltdown as i did already 2 times.

More
04 May 2015 21:37 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Yea!
As I'm starting my first marine atm, I'm just telling myself it's not a race the whole time!!!!
I can see how easy it would be to rush on in and just start filling the tank with fish and corals

More
05 May 2015 11:08 #6 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey!

The 130 is one of my favorite looking tanks.

The layout looks great as well. Only question is, where did you get that live rock? it looks dry to me?

More
05 May 2015 11:50 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Hey!

The 130 is one of my favorite looking tanks.

The layout looks great as well. Only question is, where did you get that live rock? it looks dry to me?

It came from a 3500 litre system , bought 50 kg and sold rest to marine store. All of it is live for sure.

More
05 May 2015 11:56 #8 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Thanks for your answer

It just looks very clean from the outside! Like if it was left outside for a few days or something

Didnt mean to doubt you

I also use the argonite sand as well, my jawfish loves it and it looks good in the tank as well!

I have a few RW myself, really like them, bought them some time ago when they were really cheap, great performance, little noise, find it hard to believe people still go for much more expensive powerheads considering how well these ones work!

More
05 May 2015 12:54 #9 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Thanks for your answer

It just looks very clean from the outside! Like if it was left outside for a few days or something

Didnt mean to doubt you

I also use the argonite sand as well, my jawfish loves it and it looks good in the tank as well!

I have a few RW myself, really like them, bought them some time ago when they were really cheap, great performance, little noise, find it hard to believe people still go for much more expensive powerheads considering how well these ones work!

No i know ya were not doubting i would rather you ask. I have hidden the pieces where it is not as clean :-) It was in a sump so not much algae on it. Yes the RW are great value for money a really powerful and quiet.Love jawfish but the one i want is way too expensive over here
Blue Dot (Opistognathus rosenblatti) would cost me around 350 to 400 euro in Norway. :crazy:
I will make the rock scape more permanant when i get the acrylic rods i have ordered and set with aquaforest stone fix.
Will add corals maybe next week from my other tank will see. Looking forward to getting my upgraded lights :-)

More
05 May 2015 13:21 #10 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
400 for a BSJ? :crazy:

And I thought I paid too much for mine

Love mine, but I rather they stay in the sea where they belong. I have to say however mine is Ironfish, he has proven extremelly hardy considering he is a jawfish

Looking forward to your next update!

More
05 May 2015 13:23 #11 by carlowchris (chris)
Love the tank..I had 2 of these on the go not so long ago....Just one thing to watch out for.....there's a very fine line between it being full and over filling it...and it's very hard sometimes then to see water seeping out

Great tanks though....are the newer models using leds or still t5s????+

More
05 May 2015 19:11 #12 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Love the tank..I had 2 of these on the go not so long ago....Just one thing to watch out for.....there's a very fine line between it being full and over filling it...and it's very hard sometimes then to see water seeping out

Great tanks though....are the newer models using leds or still t5s????+

I will setup the Tunze auto top to keep control of that :-) No t5s still.
I have ordered a ecotech radion xr15 w pro that i am going to install in the hood :-)
Added some coral frags from my other tank today :-) and changed 25% water to bring down NO3 further.

More
05 May 2015 20:56 #13 by carlowchris (chris)
Xr15's are a really cool light..much better design than xr30''s....seen a few upgrades using aquarays be nice to how the Xr15's fit in .....with the fans in the top of the Xr15's would ya not be worried about the right space in the hood??? Theres also a guy on eBay who sells a diy led upgrade for the 130 have ya had a look at them????

More
06 May 2015 10:04 #14 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Xr15's are a really cool light..much better design than xr30''s....seen a few upgrades using aquarays be nice to how the Xr15's fit in .....with the fans in the top of the Xr15's would ya not be worried about the right space in the hood??? Theres also a guy on eBay who sells a diy led upgrade for the 130 have ya had a look at them????

Hey Chris no the unit is 3.9 cm in width which will leave around 2 cm space. I will install it under the exisiting lighting cover for the t5s which i will gut out of the hood.I also have 3 fans inside the hood which i will leave wired up and on a timer to make sure there is enough air flow going through.

More
06 May 2015 20:48 #15 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Sounds like a great deal of thought has gone into this so far

More
06 May 2015 21:21 #16 by carlowchris (chris)
The fans in the hood are made for t5s sucking in cool air from one siDr and blowing out hot air from the other .....the Fan in the Xr is probly blowing hot air out the top..and probly designed with the presumption there would be no obstacles above it...Will 2 cm be enough????

More
07 May 2015 10:13 #17 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

The fans in the hood are made for t5s sucking in cool air from one siDr and blowing out hot air from the other .....the Fan in the Xr is probly blowing hot air out the top..and probly designed with the presumption there would be no obstacles above it...Will 2 cm be enough????

I have seen this done already. Also i have 3 fans inside my hood as i added an extra one. I also turned 2 of the fans around so they blow out the warm air now as i was having issues with overheating.Since i have done this the tank stays a steady 26 with stc as before i was at 27.5 c.
I can feel warm air being blow straigh out so the air flow will push the heat out from when it exits on the top of the unit :-) Is the plan. If i need to do a mod and drill holes to add extra vent to release more air i can :-) but from my calculations i will not need to as the led generate allot less heat that the T5s. I suppose time will tell :-)

More
07 May 2015 13:33 #18 by carlowchris (chris)
Sounds like your well prepared...

Are you still using the red sea heater????I found it sat too high in the back compartment and eventually got exposed one day when doing a water change and blew.....might be worth have a spare on hand with run dry protection.......these type of things always seem to happen to me on a Saturday night when nothing's open.

More
08 May 2015 09:48 #19 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Sounds like your well prepared...

Are you still using the red sea heater????I found it sat too high in the back compartment and eventually got exposed one day when doing a water change and blew.....might be worth have a spare on hand with run dry protection.......these type of things always seem to happen to me on a Saturday night when nothing's open.

No have changed the heater so i have. It sit lower in the compartment now. I am due to order a shatter resisitenat one :-)

More
08 May 2015 13:54 - 08 May 2015 14:13 #20 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Here is a rough lay out. Little more to add in but will document with pictures when fully setup :-)

So as you can see basic setup will be Stevie t media rack consisting of Chemipure , floss and purigen.
Tunze 9001. Beside this i will have 1 bag of live rock rubble and chaeto with led grow light overhead wired on a time. Considering underwater led.. I am considering having miracle mud bed here also in the back compartment. Beside that i have aquel 100 w heater which it shatter proof.The return will be stock for now.Tunze auto top will also be installed into the back compartment.
Inside the hood as you can see i will gut out power suppy for the T5S and the lights. I will remove heat shield and have 3 fans installed in the hood for air flow out wards with 2 and suckion on 1. The final fan with be hooked up to the stc 100 along with the heater incase the temperature will raise.I will also buy the reef link so i can controll all lighting wirelessly. Inside i will have Jebao rw 4 for extra circulation.
Last edit: 08 May 2015 14:13 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

More
13 May 2015 15:16 #21 by carlowchris (chris)
would the fans not work better on opposite sides ???sucking in cool air from one side and blowing hot air the other.....

I did notice from mine as well the amount of craps that collects in back chamber is unbelievable...Don't know if miracal mud would just add to that....it some job to keep that back chamber clean

More
14 May 2015 14:54 #22 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

would the fans not work better on opposite sides ???sucking in cool air from one side and blowing hot air the other.....

I did notice from mine as well the amount of craps that collects in back chamber is unbelievable...Don't know if miracal mud would just add to that....it some job to keep that back chamber clean

They seem to be doing good as they are but when i am taking hood apart i will figure out which way to go. Not sure about Mud yet you could be right.

Ok so i did a rescape and finally set all rockwork together with rods and cement. Glass is dirty with a bit of Algae sorry .I am happy with the outcome. Lots of flow going through all areas of rocks just need to fill with corals now . Have started to add most of corals from the old tank in and will let them settle in and figure where to place all :-) Toadstool is grumpty from move but i hope in a day or so he will settle back in and be happy with much more space :-)

More
19 May 2015 20:17 #23 by carlowchris (chris)
Love the rock work.. B)

More
19 May 2015 21:03 #24 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
+ 1 on that. That's a great arrangement of rock work.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
20 May 2015 14:41 #25 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

More
20 May 2015 14:59 #26 by carlowchris (chris)
Lovely colour on the hammer.

More
20 May 2015 18:46 #27 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Thanks there were a few in the store but this was my favourite :-) i have my eye on a nice bubble coral also :cool:
just dont tell the boss :whistle:

More
26 May 2015 22:13 #28 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Picked up some new corals Bubble coral and Xeina pulsing coral.
Will be collecting a Candy cane coral neon green this week.

More
31 May 2015 20:38 #29 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Been a busy weekend so it has but managed to get the tank moved ATU setup and STC1000 and good to go all corals in place. Collect my candy cane coral and while i was there i spotted a nice neon green frogspawn which i snatched up quick video

More
31 May 2015 20:39 #30 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds