Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

white spot..

More
17 Jul 2006 08:27 #1 by Gavin (Gavin)
white spot.. was created by Gavin (Gavin)
cant belive there are no posts in this section..anyway best white spot cure in your opinion please. I've tried loads over the years and just want yizzer ideas on whats best.using that garlic elixir stuff at the moment but damn is it expensive. :?:

dont make me come over there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 09:23 #2 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:Whitespot - ick (and your options) HELP !!!
I wake up this mornin tofind one of my clowns has a few tiny white spots on his tail,,,
Im assuming this is white spot,,,
So having read this thread ive altered heater to 30 degrees as an initial step...
Im reading the postings about garlic,,,but how is it delivered TO the fish,,,how is it mixed in with the food to get them to eat it,,,
I dont want this killing my clown and spreading to the others,,,:(
Or can anyone suggest an alternative ...I am NOT adding any copper to the tank,,,

Thanks

Vince

More
13 Aug 2007 09:55 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
have you got a QT tank?
the 30 degrees thing is for freswater, i never heard of doing it for marines. most people lower the salinity to 1.009 (in qt). if you set up a qt you have a much better chance and have the option of medicating if necessary. here is the hyposalinity way (copied from some website):

Isolate the fish from any invertebrates or sharks and rays
Lower the salinity to 12-14‰ (specific gravity: 1.009 @ 27°C) over a 72 hour period
Closely monitor the pH and specific gravity
Do regular water changes with low salinity water
Keep the salinity at 12-14‰ (specific gravity: 1.009 @ 27°C) for 4-6 weeks, or at least 4 weeks after the last disappearance of the \"Ich\".
Raise the salinity to normal over a 3-7 day period.

this link has loads of info in it.
www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=87

sean (fr.jack) is the man to talk to if you decide to use medication.<br><br>Post edited by: lampeye, at: 2007/08/13 11:27

lampeye

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 11:47 #4 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:Whitespot - ick (and your options) HELP !!!
Thanks for that...am currently in process of lowering salinity...don't have a QT ,,,thats something i obviously have to do something about soon,,,keep ur fingers crossed ,,,,i dont wanna lose any, but esp my Royal Grama...

Andy in Ashbourne told me to raise temp,,,im gonna try it..

Dya have any ideas on garlic ??

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 13:55 #5 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:Whitespot - ick (and your options) HELP !!!
When did you last add a fish to your tank.Is it def white spot?

More
13 Aug 2007 16:59 #6 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re:white spot..
careful vincent, do you have any inverts in the tank? lowering salinity is not an option if so. also im not sure if its advisable to lower the salinity with live rock. also make sure you buffer the freshwater to ph 8.2. and make it the same temp as the tank. id be concerned about raising the temp also, might work in a qt but might be bad with inverts also.

maybe frjack can comment on this if he's reading.

do you want a loan of a qt tank?? you really should have one. and as chrism said are you sure its whitespot? are they new clowns?

lampeye

More
13 Aug 2007 22:41 #7 by kieronr (kieronr)
Replied by kieronr (kieronr) on topic Re:white spot..
hi vincent,you c'ant lower your salinity with inverts present.you have to drop it gradually so as not to stress fish further.a qt tank is the answer,you can then use a copper remedy. kieron

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 00:08 #8 by Vincent (Vincent)
Replied by Vincent (Vincent) on topic Re:white spot..
Hi

I added 2 clowns last week...wed....
Been out all day n come home to find the second one has it...
I cant be EXACTLY sure its white spot,,,al;l i can tell u is that these 2 clowns has tiny white spots on tail,,2/3 each,,,and one r two on fins,,,.One is now actly weirdly,,,swimmin on his side,,,
I have lowered the saline level a TINY bit,,,and upped the temp , a TINY bit,,,,
The feather dusters ,scallop and hermits r all doing fine,,,well at least they seem to be..

More
14 Aug 2007 08:46 #9 by lampeye (lampeye)
vincent , lowering the salinty only works if you lower it to 1.009, which you cant do with inverts. you need to quarintine these fish asap. if its ich soon the white spots will drop off and multiply. try a freshwater dip with water the same temp and ph as your display tank. lower into the bucket in a net (keep covered) until they start to attempt to jump. see the other thread on sick clownfish for more details on this.

pm me if you want a lend of a qt tank.

what size is your tank?
how much (in weight) live rock do you have?

if its ich and you dont sort out this prob immediatly you may lose all your fish and have to leave your tank fallow for up to 8 weeks.

lampeye

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 12:42 #10 by Vincent (Vincent)
heres what ive done so far,,,,

ive lowered the salinity level a bit,,,ive also raised the temp a bit,,,

This mornin they seemed a LOT healthier, and more lively,,,
the white spot,,,assumin it is white spot,,,seems to b mostly gone from them,,,
Today , ive soaked brine shrimp in garlic to feed to them later,,,,

The scallop feather dusters and hermits all seem to still be pretty happy too,,,
I kno i need a QT,,,Anthony and Chris emphasised that when they called tome last week,,,
This is still a learnin process for me,,,Im almost embarrassed to admit as to the circumstances of me actually acquiring the tank n deciding on marines..
Somehow ive a feelin that unless i get lots more readin doen, and research the net,,,Im bound to lose more fish...
Keep on with the advice,,,its all greatly appreciated...

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 13:31 #11 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:white spot..
Vincent,if all members were to confess their mistakes and unforseen errors on this forum we would need 50 years to read them all.
Even if you read 25 books not many go into the actual lifecycle of white spot (WS).Some shops even make the mistake that if they cant see it, it must be gone.This couldnt be further from the truth,what actually happens is the WS exists in 3 states

1)Attached to the skin (or under) of its host as a cyst (Visible Form)
2)These die then fall off and rebirth more WS (Invisible Form)
3)Free swimming WS searching for a host (Invisible Form)

In order to fully eradicate the WS all of these need to be killed.Otherwise they will persist.Right now you might be still lucky enough that the WS have not reproduced on a large enough scale for a full tank outbreak.But act quick!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 14:58 #12 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:white spot..
Most WS treatments kill the free swimming stage only, that is why you need patience and continuous treatment.
I have dealt with WS twice in my life, once 15 years ago and once 6 months ago.
Both times the treatment got it.

AFAIK raising the temp will increase the speed of the life cycle, once the cysts drop off and hatch then they are vulnerable.

More
14 Aug 2007 21:58 #13 by kieronr (kieronr)
if you leave ytank free of fish for 6 weeks,the whitespot will have died off because they have no hosts.they don't affect hermits or inverts.occasionally i have a small out break due to my tank containing 3 regal tangs(whitespot magnets)but it does'nt get out of control because they are kept well fed with the right foods etc.hiring the temp only speeds up its life cycle,from spots appearing to them falling off into the substrate and hatching again after they have multiplied even more.they then look for a host and the cycle continues.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Aug 2007 08:15 #14 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:white spot..
Vincent is also using Organic Aqua.Does the Organic Aqua med
kill inverts. I would contact Steve and ask him about it.
Plenty of garlic in their food helps too.

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Aug 2007 00:04 #15 by Vincent (Vincent)
Im home after a 3 day break,,,,,weirdly the fish SEEM to be clean,,,they look very happy again,,

Point taken about the spots droppin off as a result of the temp being raised a bit,,,I stupidly assumed this might actually kill them,,:blush:

Any hints tips r advice on what to do to kill them before they re-attach ??

I am NOT puttin copper into the water,,,

Thanks.........

More
18 Aug 2007 01:46 #16 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Vincent, whitespot is generally brought on by stress, be it new fish or existing fish getting bullied or unsuitable water params. imo.

More
19 Aug 2007 22:30 #17 by kieronr (kieronr)
The egg stage (when they are in the substrate)is impervious to medications.There are various supposedly reef safe remedies available but i would only use these as a last resort if at all !.

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Aug 2007 23:54 #18 by Vincent (Vincent)
Story so far ,,,fish had it,,,am almost 100% sure it was white spot,,,,i lowered salinity and raised temp,,,a bit,,,,ive fed them brine shrimp with garlic,,,,

They look happy and healthy now,,,but, given the fact that Im only at this 2 mths..who am i to say they r ok,,,another more experienced person could take one look and say they r in bits !!!
i wud even go so far as to say the clowns have grown a fair bit in 2 weeks..( do they grow quickly ?? )

So , from what ive read , there doesnt appear to be an effective method of treating them IN the tank...coz i aint puttin in copper,,,,

Wud it be a possibilty that I could take them from the tank and put them into a copper bath IF i think they have it again,,,?

I have a small tank that was used for tropicals by someone else,,,they gave it to me,,,i could set it up as a QT / treatment tank??

Again THANKS a million for all the help and advice,,really appreciated,,,all that money wuda been a waste if it wasnt for this forum and Andy.

Are there any marine people in santry area willing to come around and tell me what my next step should be?

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2007 00:28 #19 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:white spot..
Yep lots of Marine people to get advice from in this area. PM me with info on tank .

Paul

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2007 01:23 #20 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:white spot..
Is it as serious as fresh water whitespot Ich.

More
20 Aug 2007 16:35 #21 by lampeye (lampeye)
worse. at least with freshwater you can medicate your show tank.

vincent, keep your eyes open, you may have had a lucky escape. i think it takes 7-10 days to re-appear on the fish . (read it on another forum, might be wrong) so once u get past two weeks after the spots disappeared u should be fine.

lampeye

More
20 Aug 2007 16:41 #22 by lampeye (lampeye)

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2007 17:53 #23 by Vincent (Vincent)
I opened my BIG gob n tempted fate........

Am givin up...im gonna take up knitting instead,,,,,,,,,,,,

More
20 Aug 2007 19:12 #24 by lampeye (lampeye)
what does that mean vincent? is it back?

lampeye

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2007 19:35 #25 by Vincent (Vincent)
Think so,,,Royal Grama has a cple white spots on his forehead,,,

More
20 Aug 2007 21:21 #26 by lampeye (lampeye)
not the end of the world vincent. my advice would be to move to a qt tank immediately. do a water change and use this water mostly for the qt, (u prob wont have enough to fill it) and either medicate or use hyposalinity there. the tank should be bare , just a heater, filter and some pvc tubes for fish to hide. you might have to do it for a month or two but its worth it in the long run. sounds like a pain the ass but just think of it as a learning curve, and qt any future fish for 4 weeks and you'll never have to deal with it again.

if you go the medication route do dome reading in the article above, i think this may kill filter bacteria so daily water changes would be required. maybe father jack could clarify this? if you go the hyposalinity route and need some seeded filter sponge let me know.

lampeye

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2007 22:42 #27 by Vincent (Vincent)
Thanks

Will do some research now and loadsa readin,,,,ihave a small tank that someone gave me a while ago,,,and wud u believe the one fish she had left alive is still swimmin around happily !!!
I cuda used as a QT,,,but i really dont have the heart to dump this little lad...

I read the article posted by u above...he seems to favor hyposalinity ,,,am wonderin can i do this in the tank itself???

Actually, I have been lowerin the level slightly every day ..and have raised temp a bit,,,
Really weird...Most evenins the white spots seem to be gone,,,but then next mornin they r back ...
How long does it take for this white spot to actually kill the fish?
They all seem to be very happy n healthy ,swimmin around , diggin their little holes (goby), eatin,hermist r fine, as are feather dusters,,,,and the clown wrasse and goby have not, apparently,been affected by this at all,,
Are they immune to it,,,like some are more prone to it?

More
21 Aug 2007 09:08 #28 by lampeye (lampeye)
if you use hyposalinity on your main tank your live sand will die, causing an ammonia spike. your inverts will also die, so dont do it. QUARINTINE!

lampeye

More
25 Aug 2007 21:51 #29 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re:white spot..
Sorry about the delay I have been away without access to a PC, the infection started around the 14th of this month so the morts will start in the first week of Sept if this route(s) of advice is taken less the QT roote, the only way you can do it in your tank is get rid of all the inverts except the hermit crab and add sera costupur white spot treatment at full recommened dose the repeat at full dose again after 2 days the repeat every third day for 10 days the run carbon the reintrodude inverts perphas the may be still alive if store them at 20C in a bucket with an air stone without no food or filter except a live rock.

Basically the horce is before the cart, in other wordes inverts are introduce after the planed LAST fish with a 3 week delayd to introction.

P.S if the fish are smothered in white spots in servere infestations its too late to save them with the dosage recommended on the comerical treatments, the only way then is a 24 hour bath basically means putting the fish in a bucket over night with a airstone with a triple dose, putting the alarm on at 4AM to cheak that wrasses and eel are OK as they are the most sentive to malahite green and would croke first. the add them back to the tank with a reommended dose for the rest of the 10 days. forget about raiseing the temp or lowering the salinity for glaric or prays in your local church, non of them are proven to work in marine wholesalers.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Vincent (Vincent)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2007 18:01 #30 by Vincent (Vincent)
Just back from hols so havent been able to read postings,,,again to evryone THANKS for all the advice,,,,

Well,,,,maybe i shud go away more often...I get back to find them all alive n lookin healthy

Its now 10 days I think since i lowered salinity r raised temp...

Keepin eyes peeled for its probable return !!

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds