Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Persistant white spot?

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2010 19:02 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
Persistant white spot? was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Has anyone experienced a persistent, large form of white spot?

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2010 19:35 #2 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Hi Kev,

A couple of weeks before Xmas I had a large outbreak ending up losing about 20 Bronze Cory fry. They where about 2 1/2 months old at the time leaving me with 12 remaining. Then 2 weeks ago, back it comes again to haunt me but fortunately I got there quickly with treatment and remaining fry now 4 1/2 months are doing very well. I thought they might have grown some sort of resistance after the first time but I believe there are different strains of it.

Dave

More
18 Feb 2010 19:42 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hey Kev,

Dave is right, there are a few different strains of the bug that causes it. I have read that some are resistent to temperatures over 35 celsius and can be a b**ch to get rid of. Thankfully I havn't come across it myself but they are out there.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2010 19:47 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Persistant white spot?
Thanks for the info guys, Dave, what did you use, these seem to be bigger spots than the normal sugar grain type, and whiter looking.

Kev.

More
18 Feb 2010 20:06 #5 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Hi Kev,

I used Protozin by Waterlife. When the tank first got white spot before Xmas I noticed what appeared to be a small white stripe or 2 across only 1 or 2 of of the 30 odd fry and chose to ignore it for 2 days thinking it might only be a little fungus affecting only those fry. Woke up one morning after that to find every fry then had the typical sugar grain symptoms. It did not catch me out the second time.

Dave

More
18 Feb 2010 21:49 - 18 Feb 2010 21:58 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
sorry sorry sorry did not realise this was in marine so i am not sure how this would work i just click link on home page sorry sorry sorry
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods
Last edit: 18 Feb 2010 21:58 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2010 21:51 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Persistent white spot?
Cheers Dave, it's a flippin nuisance to say the least.
I normally use the hi temp remedy but Shrimp in the tank prevent this, I may remove the affected fish to a large bin/bucket and treat there, i hope the move to a dark and quiet place doesn't induce spontaneous successful spawning, I couldn't handle that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kev.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2010 21:53 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Cheers Mickey, I will give some of the suggestions a go.

Kev

More
18 Feb 2010 23:47 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Kev is this in a Marine or fresh water set up?
I ask because the suggested remedies are for fresh water.

If it is marine try removing fish and giving them a fresh water bath. The water should be the same ph and temp.
You need to keep an eye on the fish and when they look like they are gong to go belly up remove them to another tank.
You cant place them back in the tank or they will get it again. You have to wait untill the cycle is finished in the main tank before putting the fish back in.
I never had white spot in a marine tank but this should work.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2010 23:55 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
Ta Darren,

Fresh water, Cardinal tetras, all started after water changes, ph skyrocketed to 7.9.

Kev.

More
19 Feb 2010 00:11 #11 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I had to ask because it was in the marine section.

There was a good tread a while back discussing white spot and all the different treatments from temp., salt, meds etc.
Some forms are easily dealt with but some can be stubborn and IMO impossible to get rid of.

More
19 Feb 2010 01:56 #12 by Ma (mm mm)
stretnik wrote:

Fresh water, Cardinal tetras, all started after water changes, ph skyrocketed to 7.9.

Kev.

I have had a few issues with it even tho the water changes have been a lot. Not excessive.

Instead of the big change now of adding say 100L of new water to the tank in a big water change I do 10L an hour to maintain the balance in the water, be it good or slihtly mature its better than fluctuation from sudden volumes of different water frequesting the aqua environment imo, and if the water has summit untowards in it then even worse. You never know what they chuck in to kill this and that. Funny how I sm more worried about the fish yet I drink it.
:dry:

Mark

Location D.11

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds