Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pictures of my tanks

More
06 Sep 2015 10:17 #1 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
My 120l cold-water setup and my 540l project that's keeping me awake at night, I've that many idea's running thru my head

Attachment DSC_0036~2.jpg not found

Attachment DSC_0037~2~2.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2015 19:06 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Loving the look of the new tank!
Always so many options and possibilities with a new tank

looking forward to seeing new developments

More
06 Sep 2015 20:37 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

my 540l project that's keeping me awake at night, I've that many idea's running thru my head

That's part of the fun :woohoo:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
19 Sep 2015 20:36 #4 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
The 540l has so much potential -have you decided what to do yet ?

More
19 Sep 2015 20:47 #5 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks Jim.
So far I've decided to go with silica sand substrate ( only took 4 weeks to make that choice :laugh: )
I'm in the process of painting the cabinet and tank ( back and righthand side on the pic) black. I've ordered l.e.d. lights, white and blue.
I've my sump tank ( another 4 week decision) got, just have to make a few adjustments to it.
It's slow progress but I don't mind, as I've said I want to do the tank right.
Have been to seahorse aquarium + online looking at fish and that threw a spanner in my thoughts for want I wanted. :crazy:

More
19 Sep 2015 21:26 - 19 Sep 2015 21:28 #6 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
understandable - sometimes it would be easier to have a 50l and rule out so many choices !!

Even with a tank that size you can ignore large species and theres still the potential to keep small tetras - but hundreds of them !

Good luck with it & please do post pics as you develop it
Last edit: 19 Sep 2015 21:28 by Jim (Jim Lawlor).

More
19 Sep 2015 21:39 #7 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
It certainly would be easier Jim ;)
I'm leaning towards neon/gold tetra's + barbs of some type for top level. Really like clown loaches, probably get 6+ for bottom level. Middle level is where I'm still undecided. It's a tall tank, was recommended discus as a showpiece but don't know. More decisions to wreck my head.
I'll throw up some pics when I finish painting :)

More
20 Sep 2015 11:04 #8 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I think your doing things just right...taking 4 weeks to decide means your not impulsive and every decision is thought out.it will add to the sense of achievement when you finally have it up and running.I spend 3 years planning a tank once and even now still like to change up my stocking sometimes!
Im looking forward to seeing your progress.

More
20 Sep 2015 11:28 #9 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks very much. 3 years????? :laugh:
I don't feel to bad now taking so much time. But you're right, I think it will be worth it when I finally finish.

More
20 Sep 2015 18:20 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Well to be fair id a few small tanks on the go,the wife was giving me grief about wanting to use some of the rooms that the tanks were in so we agreed a compromise and got a 5ft tank instead of the smaller other ones....it took her about 3 years to get me to shut the tanks down but i was planning all that time! Now the 5ft keeps me happy!
Gavin

More
20 Sep 2015 18:22 #11 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
That's the women for you :lol:

More
21 Sep 2015 10:55 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

That's the women for you :lol:

Women, eh? Always wanting to use the rooms we keep our fish in for something daft like cooking, watching tv or sleeping... tuh! :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
21 Sep 2015 10:59 #13 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
[/quote]
Women, eh? Always wanting to use the rooms we keep our fish in for something daft like cooking, watching tv or sleeping... tuh! :whistle:[/quote]

LOL

More
25 Sep 2015 19:37 #14 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Guys just an update on my tank. Got cabinet all painted, getting the ready to paint the tank when I notice a big crack, about 5" long, in the glass on the back panel :( :(
Crack is actually in-between the glass. So tank is out the back, full to the top with water since yesterday. No leaks to report. I'll post an update in the next few days. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys

More
26 Sep 2015 02:37 #15 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Pictures of my tanks
Any pics of the crack

More
26 Sep 2015 15:34 #16 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
It's hard to see. It looks like a scratch but I can't feel it on the inside or outside. The same pic but zoomed in a little bit each time
Attachments:

More
26 Sep 2015 16:11 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Not all scratches can be felt. It may just be a scratch. Certainly looks like one. I've never heard of a sheet of glass cracking in between but notall the way through.

More
26 Sep 2015 16:17 #18 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
It's hard to see in the pics but the way the light is hitting it, without water in the tank, looks very much like a crack. The tank has been full for nearly 3 days now and no leaks or the crack/scratch hasn't got bigger. Im thinking it's more of a scratch now. Just didn't fancy filling the tank inside and dealing with 540l of water everywhere :laugh:
Thanks guys

More
26 Sep 2015 17:19 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
too right. caution is always a good thing in fishkeeping.

More
27 Sep 2015 10:09 #20 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

It's hard to see in the pics but the way the light is hitting it, without water in the tank, looks very much like a crack. The tank has been full for nearly 3 days now and no leaks or the crack/scratch hasn't got bigger. Im thinking it's more of a scratch now. Just didn't fancy filling the tank inside and dealing with 540l of water everywhere :laugh:
Thanks guys

That would be my worst nightmare and I personally wouldn't fill it until I was sure it was a scratch versus a crack - if it's the former, the water will put incredible pressure on it. I just always think of the hassle Stephane had with the slipped water feed that ended up flooding his apartment and many below it too....I would rather be safe than sorry when playing with 540l of water...

More
27 Sep 2015 10:23 #21 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks Brian. As I've said the tank has been full of water for the last few days and no leaks or the crack/scratch hasn't got bigger, so I'm thinking it's a scratch. I couldn't tell either way when the tank was in the house, so I had to take a chance and fill it up outside. The only problem I have now is, seeing it full of water, wood, stones and ornaments plus air lines, I really can't wait to have it up and running B)

More
03 Oct 2015 08:40 - 03 Oct 2015 08:42 #22 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Hi guys
Just thought I'd share some photos of my progress with the tank. Finished painting the cabinet and I wasn't happy with the strength of it, so I built a metal frame. Sump fits perfectly, I have glass coming next week for the sump. Slowly but surely it's getting there but I'm happy with the way it's looking so far. Any thoughts or suggestions for the background, I was going to paint it black but I'm not sure now. Any feedback or suggestions are more than welcomed
Thanks

Attachment DSC_0069.JPG not found

Attachment DSC_0063.JPG not found

Attachment DSC_0065.JPG not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Oct 2015 08:42 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney). Reason: Adding pics

More
03 Oct 2015 16:46 #23 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Nice progress Baz and great idea with the metal frame. Gives you extra piece in mind.

In regards to background I have frosted glass sticker. I didn't like the blue anymore, but it's all about personal preferences.

Tom

More
03 Oct 2015 17:31 #24 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks Tom.
When you add the weight of the water + sand + ornaments, you're looking at over 600kg, so the extra frame is needed imo.
I'm thinking of the black background to make the colours of the fish really pop.
Hopefully I'll have it cycling by the end of the main. Then the real fun and games begin, deciding on what fish to put in :)

More
04 Oct 2015 08:54 #25 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
how did u get on with the crack after and how high is the crock from the bottom i have two sheets of glass that might be of some help both 5ft 8 one is 18 inch and the other i think is 22 inch both 10mm thick

Something fishie going on here

More
04 Oct 2015 15:36 #26 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks for the offer James. As I've said the tank was full out the back for a few days and no leaks or the crack/scratch didn't get any bigger. Im thinking it's more of a scratch now

More
04 Oct 2015 15:49 #27 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Pictures of my tanks
Looks like a scratch to me mate

More
04 Oct 2015 16:04 #28 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Cheers Alan. I think it is. Very hard to see in pics but when the light hits it, it's looks like a crack, the way it reflects the light off it

More
15 Oct 2015 22:42 #29 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Defo looks like s scratch - a crack wouldn't run along that direction like that. How's the tank coming along?

More
16 Oct 2015 16:53 #30 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Hi Jim
I think it is a scratch but as I've said, the way the light was hitting of it, it looked like a crack.
It's slow progress at the moment. Just alot going on. Got tank painted. Went for black background, looks good. Have glass got, so hope to have sump sorted within the next 2 weeks. That's really all I've left to do. Then cycle the tank for a few week's and decide on fish

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds