Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

webcam link

More
10 Jun 2016 14:09 #1 by alan 64 (alan)
webcam link was created by alan 64 (alan)
Ok i am just wondering if we could set up a tank webcam page on this site so members could view each others tanks wich i think would be very cool

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2016 14:23 #2 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic webcam link
I agree that would be a great idea.
Not sure what web cam to get to show my tank. Any links to webcams that will work

More
10 Jun 2016 14:23 #3 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Cool idea be good for stuff like breeding updates ect

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
10 Jun 2016 14:24 #4 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Handy for people with laptops with the built in webcam

More
10 Jun 2016 14:25 #5 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic webcam link
Im thinking there has to be a way u can set up a 24 hr cam on ur tank and members can view it whenever they want

More
10 Jun 2016 14:47 #6 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I know it's deadly to be able to see someone's tank 24/7 but I'm sure people would get a pain in there neck leaving computers on laptops iPads ect and them having to be positioned 24/7.

I'm sure John H could shed some light of its possible or not maybe start off small if it is visable have an hour a nite to browse people's tanks great if it was built into forum so it was in the forum sections.

Interesting to see how this go s.

Regards
Craig

More
10 Jun 2016 15:54 #7 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Replied by helix8008 (Tomas Novak) on topic webcam link
Agree, very interesting idea.

More
10 Jun 2016 17:17 #8 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Replied by Bill (Bill Hunter) on topic webcam link
Sounds a great idea. There is an app out there you can get for phones. It turns your old phone into a cam and you can check it on your regular smartphone. I'm sure people use it to stream as well. I was thinking of setting up that when I'm up and running. I may have the info bookmarked, I'll have a look and post it.
Bill

More
10 Jun 2016 17:31 #9 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I know Bohrio has one on his tank. If you read through his posts he gives u the password and username for it. Not sure how it's connected, but u can look at it whenever u want.

More
10 Jun 2016 17:37 #10 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Here's an app, there is loads of info out there on how to do it.
iwantth.is/1Uldkfz
Bill

More
10 Jun 2016 18:38 #11 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic webcam link
Ok lets gets this up and running ,my tank webcan is a belkin , user , rcarter52 password 050952 .my son set this up for me , think you have to download the belkin webcam app first . Cam is currently uploading new software to improve picture , should be back on line in about 30 mins .let me know if you can get into it

More
10 Jun 2016 18:39 - 10 Jun 2016 19:16 #12 by robert (robert carter)
Webcam on line. The white thing on the top of the tank is the jbl auto feeder . I do at present have an internal filter this came out of a mature tank ,hoping it will help cycle the tank it has the venturi on it working hence the bubbles . The condition of the fish as you can see is not good but am working on that . The plants are candian pond weed growing like mad , i removed the piece of bogwood as i thought it might be leeching something into the water . Once water problems are sorted i will then landscape the tank better .finally lights are on from 3pm to 11pm .
Last edit: 10 Jun 2016 19:16 by robert (robert carter). Reason: added sentance

More
10 Jun 2016 19:27 #13 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Hi Robert,
Well I downloaded netcam and can see your tank, whilst you play with your smart tv!!
So u have the overflow weir on the left, what's the box on the right that's feeding the air? Is that another filter with air attachment?
The fish must know somethings going on the way they are all hanging out in that left hand corner, or is it just that the feeder is that side!!
Tank looks good anyway, let's hope you don't lose any more, but more important, don't give up!

More
10 Jun 2016 19:46 #14 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Seems to work great, Robert. No download needed, unless the software is already in my PC. As a thought, are you able to raise your webcam a bit so it is pointing straight at the tank rather than pointing upwards into it? It would perhaps cut down on the glare.
Bill

More
10 Jun 2016 19:50 #15 by robert (robert carter)
The box in the tank is an internal power filter taken from another mature with the venturi going, when things settle it will come out . Cant get the web cam straight on to the tank as its fixed to the window sill .

More
10 Jun 2016 19:53 #16 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Not to worry, it works fine.
Bill

More
10 Jun 2016 20:04 #17 by robert (robert carter)
The webcam i brought was a belkin webcam from harvey norman 89.99 euro , connect to power supply and hardwire to your internet modum .add the belkin app to your phone and tablet ,set up passwords ,job done

More
10 Jun 2016 20:08 #18 by alan 64 (alan)
I have wifi in my shed can i get a cam that will run off the wifi and im guessing these cams are independent so u dont have to have ur laptop running

More
10 Jun 2016 20:23 - 10 Jun 2016 20:26 #19 by robert (robert carter)
Alan as you know i am far from computor literate ( cant even post pictures) so i dont really know , the cam i have has to be hard wired to the modem but am sure there must be a wifi version available . There are some very knowledgable techi guys here on the forum so i am sure they can answer your question. I have always found the staff in harvey normans very helpful. I didnt enstall it on my laptop as its always my tablet/phone i take into work
Last edit: 10 Jun 2016 20:26 by robert (robert carter). Reason: added sentance

More
10 Jun 2016 20:47 #20 by Bill (Bill Hunter)

I have wifi in my shed can i get a cam that will run off the wifi and im guessing these cams are independent so u dont have to have ur laptop running

You can get WiFi webcams iwantth.is/1WIQaBN
The alternative would be to use a disused smart phone and that should work on WiFi.

More
10 Jun 2016 20:59 #21 by Jonlate (Jon Late)

More
10 Jun 2016 22:06 #22 by alan 64 (alan)
I wonder if the site here can open a section where our cams would be linked to this site rather than downloading this amd that app to view each others cams

More
11 Jun 2016 09:13 #23 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
I wouldn't think that you need to download software to view someones webcam. They should, with a good host, be able to make settings so that particular cameras are open to public viewing and others private.
Bill

More
11 Jun 2016 09:18 #24 by robert (robert carter)
One other point, most of us have more than one tank, so which tank do you put the webcam on. Now in my case i put it on the tank that i am having problems with , which is the least attractive i have, as have the water problems to sort before making it more attractive . I think this would be true of most people as they want to keep an eye on things . So would this mean we would only see the less attractive / problem tanks of owners . There are some stunning tanks ownwed by forum members ,it would be great to be able to see them . Its just a thought

More
11 Jun 2016 09:48 #25 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic webcam link

I wonder if the site here can open a section where our cams would be linked to this site rather than downloading this amd that app to view each others cams

This topic has been 'under review' since first mooted.
I'm uncertain whether or not this concept is possible with the limitations imposed by our servers but...and here's the big 'but'...what we need to know is this - how many members would be prepared to contribute their webcams to the Forum?

So, please, reply with a firm commitment - if you're happy to contribute - and if the response is sufficient the subject can be passed to Darragh when he returns from his Honeymoon with the question of whether or not live cams can be set up within the Forum's software.

In the meantime, if anyone has a webcam link right now and wishes to pass it on to us a sub-section could be set up to contain these links.

Sorry for not sounding very positive, but we really need to look at this with a degree of pessimism while still hoping for an optimistic outcome - should the concept prove possible after all.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
11 Jun 2016 09:51 #26 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Are you streaming now Robert there is no feeds coming up for me.

Regards
Craig

More
11 Jun 2016 10:10 #27 by Bill (Bill Hunter)

Sorry for not sounding very positive, but we really need to look at this with a degree of pessimism while still hoping for an optimistic outcome - should the concept prove possible after all.

John

I would say that that is a very positive attitude, John. At the end of the day it will depend on how it affects the website's bandwidth [streaming]. I'm currently looking into it for my own website which is currently going through a complete renovation.
I would be 100% committed to the project once my tanks are set up.
Bill

More
11 Jun 2016 11:19 #28 by robert (robert carter)
Am streaming 24/7 just checked it now and its working for me . Lights arnt on put picture is ok , you should be able to see the two new fish just added from newlands , a tancho sanke and a standard sanke . For those who dont know a sanke is a red, white and black coloured fish , a tancho sanke is a black and white fish with the red only on the head . With reference to Johns post i am certainly all for it

More
11 Jun 2016 11:49 #29 by alan 64 (alan)
I would defo be 100% comitted to this john as i realy like the idea

More
11 Jun 2016 18:36 #30 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Can I suggest that if a webcam link section is created that it be for registered users only.

Sounds like a neat idea, I don't have any cameras set up on my tanks though.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds