Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fluval Edge

More
26 May 2009 15:20 #1 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Anyone buy one of the Fluval Edge yet, looks impressive but i can,t see if you are going tropical if you can hide the heater in the back comparment with the filter.

Any of the sponsors planing to stock this and if so any prices?

www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/addinfo/fluval_edge.cfm

GB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 May 2009 15:53 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:fluval Edge
The concept is nice. A tank in the middle of a room, sitting on a plexi table is gorgeous. The only thing they have forgotten to do on the photos is to plug it in !...:laugh:
No wires to be seen - it would really take away from it though ! ;)

Valerie

More
26 May 2009 16:17 #3 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Those damned wires. Valerie as you said it looks fab but once you start trailing wires it could become a problem in the middle of the room. wonder what the price range is

feargal

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 May 2009 21:39 #4 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:fluval Edge
I got mine on Sunday!!! B)
It is the second one I have set up so far. Very nice piece of kit! I have mine heated with a heat mat between the little base part and the tank itself. Going to throw a few cherry shrimp, ottos and something like a few Harl rasboras in it. The lights on it give a lovely effect. I predict there will be no chance whatsoever of catching the fish through the tiny opening though... without seriously damaging your aquascape! :unsure:

More
26 May 2009 21:46 #5 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Where did you buy it Wolfsberg and how much. Does the heater work well and do you have any details on it, name, wattage, where you bought it etc.

Any pics

GB

More
26 May 2009 23:30 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i seen this and like they provide a line of nets gravel cleaner etc for it.

it will be lovely till some ****** buys this little cute oscar for it.

mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
27 May 2009 00:08 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
They are only 23 litres or 5 gallons, they look a lot more in the photos.

There is a video on the PFK site of one getting set up. It seems PFK are well into bed with Fluval at the moment, Fluval is plastered all over the place. Don't think a heater is included and I don't think one was mentioned in the video - don;t ask me why I wasted 8 minutes of my life looking at that video - I think it was just to see how PFK could reconcile such a non-practical tank with best interests of the fish and their sponsorship deal!

Personally I think they look nice but I would not want to be looking after one.

Daragh

More
27 May 2009 09:45 #8 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/addinfo/fluval_edge.cfm

the brochure has everything you need most importantly your Zen wall decor omament.

i read the list of suggested fish. well small gold fish which grow and grow and grow all their lives in the correct conditions. and and full of pictures of fantails i've seen big fan tails 8inches plus

i am usually a fan of hagen products but this one i give a minus twenty score.
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 May 2009 12:09 #9 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:fluval Edge
Daragh_Owens wrote:

There is a video on the PFK site of one getting set up. It seems PFK are well into bed with Fluval at the moment, Fluval is plastered all over the place. Don't think a heater is included and I don't think one was mentioned in the video - don;t ask me why I wasted 8 minutes of my life looking at that video - I think it was just to see how PFK could reconcile such a non-practical tank with best interests of the fish and their sponsorship deal!

Daragh

Did you read the PFK review of it in the last magazine?
It wasn't flattering at all, they complained about bubbles gathering at the top & said that the acrylic scratches really easily.

Not a bad looking tank but my guess is that it'll be a flash in the pan.

Like the fish tank version of the DeLorean if you ask me :laugh:

More
27 May 2009 12:42 #10 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Replied by alkiely (alan kiely) on topic Re:fluval Edge

Like the fish tank version of the DeLorean if you ask me :laugh:[/quote]

Love the delorean joke ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :laugh:

It just looks like Fluval's version of a nano tank and the small aqua one tanks you can get.
Wouldnt be into getting one myself, its a designer fish tank for looks not practical at all i would guess.

Alan

More
27 May 2009 18:47 #11 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
23 litres, no tanks!!! Not unless you want it for a quarantine tank and you prob dont want to be showcasing your sick fish in it!!
Gavin

More
27 May 2009 21:51 #12 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
2poc wrote:

Daragh_Owens wrote:

Daragh

Did you read the PFK review of it in the last magazine?
It wasn't flattering at all, they complained about bubbles gathering at the top & said that the acrylic scratches really easily.

Like the fish tank version of the DeLorean if you ask me :laugh:

No I didn't read the review, it was bad enough enduring 8 minutes of home made vdieo footage, nothing negative was mentioned in the video to my recollection.

The short lifespan of the De Lorean had more to do with the white stuff he was importing than the cars he was making, I think :-)

The tanks is just not practical, looks good though ans would be perfect size for shrimp, I would just hate to be trying to plant it and catch anything or clean it etc. etc.

Daragh

More
01 Jun 2009 15:28 #13 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
hi gerry saw one in blackrock co dublin its the only pet shop there beside tonic bar they had it in window with the lights on it look good price was 195 euro

More
01 Jun 2009 18:20 #14 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic Re:fluval Edge
Saw one on Saturday,nice enough,but for all the (im)practical reasons mentioned here,I think I'll leave it.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
01 Jun 2009 20:13 #15 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Replied by Orca (Eoin Walsh) on topic Re:fluval Edge
I also saw them the other day and would find access very hard.Great looking tank but not practical enough for me.

More
01 Jun 2009 20:42 #16 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
does anyone remember the small tanks fishantics had at the show? they were really compact and i think had eveything contained with a smal heater/filter and light unit
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
01 Jun 2009 21:14 #17 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Replied by Orca (Eoin Walsh) on topic Re:fluval Edge
I thought they were very small even for a betta.

More
02 Jun 2009 16:42 #18 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
too small and cruel IMO

rgds

More
04 Jun 2009 10:44 #19 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re:fluval Edge
I have one set up in the counter in work.couple of shellies in it and it is the biz.Been up and running for three weeks and zip algae.wouldn't do it as a planted tank,maybe...but they look great.the fish are happy as larry.even having a little stab at the fish rumpy. I'd give em 8 out of ten.only dropping the 2 because of the access issue..but that's what makes it look so cool.heat mat heating mine.I'd recomment keeping that on a thermostat though..particulay in this weather..

dont make me come over there.

More
04 Jun 2009 21:45 #20 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Do you have any info on the heat mat Gavin? Name, cost etc.

What do you pay for the tank, Ken says 195e, seems a bit steep to me, can get a bowl with built in heater and filter for alot less.It seems by the time you have this setup and going you would probably be talking 250e, alot for a 23 litre tank.

But have to say still tempted to get one, looks impressive:blush: :blush:

GB

More
05 Jun 2009 14:51 - 05 Jun 2009 15:21 #21 by kenneth (kenneth mc donnell)
Saw them on sale on UK sites for 89.00 sterling Don't know how much to deliver. Ken
Last edit: 05 Jun 2009 15:21 by Valerie (Valerie). Reason: Transcribed post in normal script - the poster didn't mean to shout :)

More
05 Jun 2009 16:12 #22 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Hi,
seen it in LFS for 119 and tempted for the looks. might even get PFK to see the set up and plant instructions
Gavin, interested in the heat mat as per gerryberry's last ?

Feargal

More
05 Jun 2009 16:58 #23 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Whats your LFS Feargal, 119 seems a much more realistic price.

GB

More
06 Jun 2009 11:37 #24 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Gerry,
Going to recheck again on Monday so I don't mislead you and will then pm you or is it OK to put names/places on line

Feargal

More
06 Jun 2009 21:57 #25 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Don,t see any problem with posting the info on forum unless its not one of the sponsors shop.

Cheers Feragal

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2009 00:16 #26 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Hi Lads,
The heat mat that Gavin speaks of is a regular small heat mat that you would use for a reptile's vivarium. That's what is in use in the shop and it is what I use in my Edge at home... nothing too fancy. Just place it directly under the glass. ;)

I've mine set up a few weeks and I've no probs. I also had to catch a trio of Apistos from it the other day and to be honest it wasn't as bad as you might think.

More
08 Jun 2009 15:17 #27 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Gerryberry,
Can confirm the price @ 119 and i sent pm re location. it does not look as impressive as it does in the borchure but that could be down to warer colour (yellow0 and the bubbles at the top and lack of plants etc.

Feargal

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2009 17:55 #28 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
If you get bubbles in it you just slightly raise the water level, not compromising too much surface agitation. There are barely any bubbles in my edge at home.
I have loads of plants in mine too with no problems.

More
08 Jun 2009 19:44 #29 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Any pics ? Nice set up of an edge on the PFK forum under coldwater

Feargal

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2009 19:46 #30 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
yearp... I'll take a few photos and stick them up later in the week... supposed to be studying!

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds