Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

May Photo Competition :-)

More
29 Apr 2012 22:26 - 29 Apr 2012 23:32 #1 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
ok Lads so its that time again to get the photo comp back in full swing :woohoo: :cool:

this month we are going to go with 2 photos per entry (as in 1 full tank shot and 1 close up shot) the close up shot can be anything from a fish, invert, plant anything you wish :)

The photo competition for May 2012 is now open :cool:

This month's prize will be a €100 gift card from Aquatic Village, Dublin. Many Thanks Ian

Closing date for submissions : 31st of May 2012, midnight.

Please send all entries to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (include your forum username please).

A few rules :
- 2 photos per registered member (1 full tank shot and 1 close up shot)
- Submitted file should be in jpeg format and not exceed 1MB in size (Per Photo)
- Rules can be seen here (www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforum/rules)

so get those entries in lads and Best Of Luck to everyone

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2012 23:32 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).
The topic has been locked.
More
02 May 2012 17:39 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
No worries Val :)

Really hope there are lots off very good photos we want everyone to make it hard for judging :lol:

So come on lads/ ladie get the entries in

A great prize 100 would get anybody some great new additions for there tank something we all want

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
02 May 2012 21:03 #3 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Fair play to you for getting this up and running again Sean :)
Do we have any entries yet?

As Sean said, a good prize up for grabs care of the generosity of Ian in Aquatic Village.

I would encourage people to get their entries in :)

Cheers,

Bill.
More
02 May 2012 22:58 #4 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
yeah there is 1 or 2 in so far so a lot more to come i hope

waitin for all the lads that where lookin for the photo comp so im sure a lot more will come

wat about yourself bill get the entries in :cool: :cool:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
02 May 2012 23:38 #5 by steothegreat (stephen flanagan)
ill send one in this week
More
03 May 2012 00:16 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
hmmmm i might just try this myself :)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
More
03 May 2012 08:21 #7 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

topic should be locked for comments and chat, photo contests run by JohnH were always locked and there were only inserted images in competition, then the topic was clear and clarity, without unnecessary littering. It's just my personal opinion, the decision will leave moderators, they better know how to run a competition.

Chris can u please explain to me wat is not clear about this topic please

The more comments on this will boost it back.up.in the recent post with will mean more members will.see it and enter

After the finish date I will remove comments and go about the competition the way it should be

IF that is ok with you Chris

Also as for your comment above

they better know how to run a competition

As this is my first competition I know something will go wrong as off yet it didn't and I hope it won't and also just to note since there has being comments left on this and it was up high in thr recent section there has being a lot on ppl enteries

So of you have a problem with me running this I suggest you pm me and leave it off the topic as u say we don't want any unnecessary littering.

Thank You

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
03 May 2012 08:37 #8 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I'll give this a go as well. Now to decide who gets their close up!!!
More
03 May 2012 11:13 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
another method would be leave the comment here and start a new thread with comp entries as a title which has only the photo's... makes sense no?

More
03 May 2012 15:11 #10 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I put my entry in last night.Just a small suggestion to the mods.When someone puts in their entry email with pic's is there anyway we could get some kind of confirmation.Just to say that the email and attachments were received and all is good. Might be a bit more work for ye guys but let me know what ye think.

Cheers Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.
More
03 May 2012 15:16 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
GRRRRRRR MORE WORK, ;) nah cant see that being a problem wylam, but just dont expect it immediately we all have jobs, other halves etc that we have to pacify if we're to keep our bits in their right places ;)

More
03 May 2012 18:32 #12 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

GRRRRRRR MORE WORK, ;) nah cant see that being a problem wylam, but just dont expect it immediately we all have jobs, other halves etc that we have to pacify if we're to keep our bits in their right places ;)

Ah the age old question..... Wife or fish tanks, wife or fish tanks .....
More
03 May 2012 19:14 #13 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
fish tanks fish tanks.... whoops she's behind me WIFE WIFE

More
03 May 2012 19:16 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Just on another note i must say a BIG THANK YOU to Sean for getting this photo comp back up and running and contacting all the sponsors and making sure we have prizes for months to come... sterling work mate well done and thanks for all the behind the scenes work, we all appreciate it

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2012 19:54 #15 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: May Photo Competition :-)
Indeed, this is great ! Thank you for organising it.

We used to put the pictures up in their own monthly folder on photobucket and link back to them on the competition post as we were getting them in ; this way, the person who had sent their picture could see it up on the forum - no need to confirm upon receipt.

But, as the expression says ... there are several ways to kill a cat ... as long as he's dead, all is good :ohmy: :P :laugh: (Note : I love cats and would in no way hurt them ! :) )

Valerie
More
03 May 2012 20:32 #16 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Fair play sean great job getting this comp up and running and with a great prize
More
03 May 2012 21:37 - 03 May 2012 21:39 #17 by ger310 (Ger .)

Just on another note i must say a BIG THANK YOU to Sean for getting this photo comp back up and running and contacting all the sponsors and making sure we have prizes for months to come... sterling work mate well done and thanks for all the behind the scenes work, we all appreciate it

I gotta second this......i have noticed some people with what i have read recently are only coming on here to have a go at the Mods,for whatever reason or grievance they have,i dont know what but it has come across as very petty(no names mentioned)........Well done Sean for the work behind the scenes we rarely here of and well done to all the Mods,job well done lads!!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)
Last edit: 03 May 2012 21:39 by ger310 (Ger .). Reason: missed a word.....oooops
More
03 May 2012 22:10 #18 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
thanks very much lads as ya know fellow mods :L:L we are here to do the best we can for the site and anything i can do i will put 100% into doing it and that goes for members also

so thanks very much and lads yas better be taken photos cause yas havent enterd yet haha

there is a good few entries in now

also as for the comfirmation email if yas want i will email each person back to let them know that i got them or if darragh is on and see this maybe we could setup an automatic one or something like that we will look into it mate thanks

I gotta second this......i have noticed some people with what i have read recently are only coming on here to have a go at the Mods,for whatever reason or grievance they have,i dont know what but it has come across as very petty(no names mentioned)........Well done Sean for the work behind the scenes we rarely here of and well done to all the Mods,job well done lads!!!

Ger

cant say i havent noticed that meself haha but sure look at the end off the day some ppl will get on and some wont i do hope that i get on with most if not all on the forum and as i said above i am always here to help ANYONE out

so as they say we just have to keep our heads up high :laugh: :laugh:

so thanks again lads means a lot and COME ON GET TAKEN SOME GREAT PHOTOS

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
06 May 2012 22:36 #19 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Fair play for getting the competition up and running again Sean!

I hope there will be plenty of entries for this one, I'll be off snapping myself now!

Melander
More
09 May 2012 10:52 #20 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Ok lads have being sorting out the entries so far we have 8 in total so really hoping for a good few more so who ever has not put there entries in please do so we can try make this Photo Competition a very good one and very hard to judge

just want to say thanks for the ones that are in already some great photos

so come on lads get snapping :cheer: :cool:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
09 May 2012 20:08 #21 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
come on lads and ladies lets get a move on ;)

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.
More
09 May 2012 20:26 #22 by jwm (sean sean)
just cant seem to get the shot that works flash showing up or to far away, decent camera it's the clown using it, i may be better off painting a picture of the shagging thing's :hammer:

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.
More
11 May 2012 09:54 #23 by JohnH (John)
Sean,
A quick question:
Do entrants have to submit two pictures or will one alone be acceptable? - I ask because not everyone will have stunning aquarium set-ups, yet still have stunning Fish, but might be deterred from entering the competition for that reason.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
More
12 May 2012 21:09 #24 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Sean,
A quick question:
Do entrants have to submit two pictures or will one alone be acceptable? - I ask because not everyone will have stunning aquarium set-ups, yet still have stunning Fish, but might be deterred from entering the competition for that reason.
John

Sorry mate have bring on but just to busy to post

As for the 2 photos we went with this just for something different instead off just the 1

also as for deterred from entering the competition this should not be a problem as with the 2 photos will be judged and that was if as you say someone has a not so stunning aquarium then the close up shot will be it for them as this was the way we where thinking when coming up with the idea

Hope people don't think this way as at the end off the day this it all for fun and to share photos

thanks for asking john should have send something like this before now thanks mate

Also just to add we will also be adding the winner photos to the front page for 1 whole month until the next winner has won the next competition

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
12 May 2012 22:08 #25 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
When will the entries be on view? I'm dien to see them ;)
More
12 May 2012 22:44 #26 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

When will the entries be on view? I'm dien to see them ;)

Will post them up soon paul hard to get the time lately with so much on

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
12 May 2012 22:56 #27 by JohnH (John)

Sean,
A quick question:
John

Sorry mate have bring on but just to busy to post

As for the 2 photos we went with this just for something different instead off just the 1

also as for deterred from entering the competition this should not be a problem as with the 2 photos will be judged and that was if as you say someone has a not so stunning aquarium then the close up shot will be it for them as this was the way we where thinking when coming up with the idea

Hope people don't think this way as at the end off the day this it all for fun and to share photos

thanks for asking john should have send something like this before now thanks mate

Also just to add we will also be adding the winner photos to the front page for 1 whole month until the next winner has won the next competition

Sean

Thanks for clearing that up Sean, now where did I put the camera?

John :angel:

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
More
16 May 2012 23:20 #28 by ck1 (chris)
i have 2 photos here to enter but my not sure how to resize them down to 1mb has anyone some advice.will my entry be accecpted if its over 1mb
More
16 May 2012 23:27 #29 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Send them on and we will look into resizing them for you

Bill is working on resizing the others so im sure he will be able to do it thanks

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
17 May 2012 09:11 #30 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi Ck1,

send the pics on as they are, I will look after re-sizing them :)

Cheers,

Bill.
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds