Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Forum members get-together.

More
18 Jan 2015 17:17 #1 by JohnH (John)
This is really a kind of speculative post but have a read then you can follow up with your own additions/subtractions so here's my thoughts.
Before I start I'll mention that this sort of thing has been mooted before - in many different guises.
In past years it has always been possible to have a 'get together' to get to know the people we converse with, almost daily, because the ITFS would hold biennial Fish Shows and latterly Fish-related Auctions in the year the Show wasn't happening (if that makes sense) but since these seem to have now become a 'thing of the past' that opportunity to meet others of a like mind has rather passed (for the time being - at least).
One option to get to know other Forum people is for us all (or as many as would be interested to) to join up with the ITFS and come to the meetings every month (a great suggestion - even if I say so myself).

Other than that I was rather thinking along the lines of Stephane's suggestion of a 'fishy' car boot sale, but slightly different.I just thought we might think about a sort of social event at somewhere a little way out of the City where we could have a bit of a 'meet and greet' and we could all get to know one another a bit better.

As I said at the beginning, something along these lines has been mooted on more than one occasion but it has always failed ultimately - despite getting lots of positive reaction.
Quite likely this will go the same way, but it's worth suggesting - nonetheless.

What do youse think?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2015 17:42 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Great idea.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
18 Jan 2015 17:53 #3 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Super idea John....

More
18 Jan 2015 18:14 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Great idea!
Best thing to do imo is suggest a date time and location and take it from there!!!
No matter where it is in the country someone wont be able to make it or will have to travel to it!
Id suggest midlands somewhere

More
18 Jan 2015 19:02 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Could be an idea alright.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Jan 2015 20:06 #6 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
yep i'm in as well

More
18 Jan 2015 20:10 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
great idea i am not allowed out after 9 pm though

Something fishie going on here

More
18 Jan 2015 20:21 #8 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
car-pooling may help a few with transportation issues. i can take 2 people

More
18 Jan 2015 21:28 #9 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I think Kilkenny is very central to everyone :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ah no it sounds like a right plan if we can make it happen

Eric

More
18 Jan 2015 21:41 #10 by padraigr (Padraig Rooney)
A way to ensure success in an event like this is to charge a nominal amount say €10 per head payable in advance which could be put into a kitty & used for finger food on the night.

Its just a way to ensure that people who say they will go actually commit in a small way & are less lightly to pull out. This strategy was recently used at my school's recent 30th reunion, nobody objected & the night was a great success. Just my thoughts for what its worth.

More
18 Jan 2015 22:00 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

A way to ensure success in an event like this is to charge a nominal amount say €10 per head payable in advance which could be put into a kitty & used for finger food on the night.

Its just a way to ensure that people who say they will go actually commit in a small way & are less lightly to pull out. This strategy was recently used at my school's recent 30th reunion, nobody objected & the night was a great success. Just my thoughts for what its worth.

My school couldn't pay me to go to a reunion :laugh:
Good idea but it might be hard to collect funds, given the nature (and geography) of the forum.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
18 Jan 2015 22:22 #12 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Sounds like you went to school with people similar to the ones i endured also!!!!!
Id hate to see them again!!!!
There isnt enough money in ireland to make it worth that pain and anguish!!!!!

More
18 Jan 2015 23:41 - 18 Jan 2015 23:41 #13 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Cork...perhaps? :woohoo:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2015 23:41 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy).

More
19 Jan 2015 01:54 #14 by JohnH (John)
Well, after the first day of being suggested the response so far is very encouraging.
I think PadraigR's suggestion seems quite a good thing to take on board - but we should just hold off on making too many details for a while as this is still very much in the infancy stages.
Likewise with the vicinity of the venue, this could be decided once we knew how many would be fully interested and from where they would be coming.
We also have to consider times etc too - after all James turns into a pumpkin at 9.30 so this must be taken into account.
Something else came into my mind (careful John, not too much thinking) after reading tetdiscus' plea that we meet in Cork - if this project could get off the ground there's nothing to say that different regional social events couldn't be organised? - But I fear perhaps this is a classic example of 'running before learning to walk' so let's leave this open for a while to see how much more interest can be forthcoming then we can, if it looks like taking off, start to thrash out details later.
So, please, any further ideas and suggestion?

John

ITFS member.

More
19 Jan 2015 04:47 #15 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I'd be interested

More
19 Jan 2015 11:26 #16 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Well, after the first day of being suggested the response so far is very encouraging.
I think PadraigR's suggestion seems quite a good thing to take on board - but we should just hold off on making too many details for a while as this is still very much in the infancy stages.
Likewise with the vicinity of the venue, this could be decided once we knew how many would be fully interested and from where they would be coming.
We also have to consider times etc too - after all James turns into a pumpkin at 9.30 so this must be taken into account.
Something else came into my mind (careful John, not too much thinking) after reading tetdiscus' plea that we meet in Cork - if this project could get off the ground there's nothing to say that different regional social events couldn't be organised? - But I fear perhaps this is a classic example of 'running before learning to walk' so let's leave this open for a while to see how much more interest can be forthcoming then we can, if it looks like taking off, start to thrash out details later.
So, please, any further ideas and suggestion?

John

Perhaps starting with a date on the thread, then a list of the people who "would like" to attend including where they would be coming from. And based on that information decide on a location that accommodates the majority.

More
19 Jan 2015 11:36 #17 by Ski (Alan McGee)

lol

More
19 Jan 2015 12:09 #18 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
I agree with Stephane regarding the dates first then the venue. What about starting with potential dates with plenty of warning :-) so everyone can think about it. And perhaps, sending pm as well to members?

More
24 Jan 2015 17:25 #19 by JohnH (John)
OK

Just a little 'prompt' to get this back onto the first page, I'm rather assuming that - since there have been no further responses for five days we possibly have no further interested parties?

It will be left open for suggestions/ideas until Monday then after then we'll decide if the proposal has picked up any momentum and whether we want to proceed further with it.

John

ITFS member.

More
24 Jan 2015 20:21 #20 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
Just saw this now, great idea, would definitely go if I'm free on the date. Choosing location is the key thing I suppose. Athlone or Kilkenny would be central. Can we poll on the forum? To choose location, then rsvp a pm a moderator to start a guest list? Depending on numbers, If there was 20 people minimum we could just arrange own accommodation and meet up somewhere for drinks so we are not dealing with booking a venue, deposits, Payments etc..... Make it easy to make a meet happen

More
24 Jan 2015 20:38 #21 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Yea I think a few locations and a date needs to be listed and we can see then. Are people thinking of an over night stay or meeting up during the day for a bite to eat ?

Eric

More
24 Jan 2015 20:59 #22 by tetdiscus (Maritess McCarthy)
Im interested as well. As long as there is plenty of notice...weeks/month (s) . Major cities for venue is preferable for me. If its going to be at night time, i think its up to the member if they want to travel back and forth or book an accomodation nearby.
It's not going to be easy for the organizers, imo.

More
24 Jan 2015 22:02 #23 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'd be interested too, circumstances allowing

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
08 Feb 2015 21:02 #24 by carlowchris (chris)
Id be intersted......espically if the venues next door to a lapdancing club :) :) :)

More
09 Feb 2015 10:40 #25 by JohnH (John)

Id be intersted......espically if the venues next door to a lapdancing club :) :) :)

I misread this first time around and thought you wrote "...a Tapdancing club..."

Oh dear, must get some new glasses or a new monitor (or both).

As the responses seem to have pretty well fizzled out I think it's time that those who have expressed an interest start to liaise in order to try to both decide upon a location for this proposed meet-up but equally important to try to mutually decide upon a date - or at least a rough time scale to work to.

Logistically this could well develop into a bit of a nightmare for whoever becomes the nominee to try to organise this so perhaps that should be step one - to request a volunteer to take on the role of trying to organise the event?

Over to youse.

John

ITFS member.

More
09 Feb 2015 21:54 #26 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)

lol

I don't know what your laughing at, he's serious !

More
09 Feb 2015 21:58 #27 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

lol

Same position lads!!!! H I D has me on a tight leash

More
10 Feb 2015 16:56 #28 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

lol

i have choice sell a tank or go on a night out :ohmy:

Something fishie going on here

More
10 Feb 2015 16:58 #29 by Ski (Alan McGee)

lol

i have choice sell a tank or go on a night out :ohmy:

:laugh:

More
11 Feb 2015 16:58 #30 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
suggestions looking at the map

Athlone
or Kikenny for a more southern event is needed

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds