Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sponsors and minimum standards

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • apistodiscus (apistodiscus)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Dec 2007 23:37 #1 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Sponsors and minimum standards was created by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I know this issue has been discussed on the forum before. More as a sideshow rather, though.
Just wondering about your opinions what we should expect from a good LFS before it can be endorsed, especially in regards to the sponsors.
Here are a few points I believe are minimum standards:
-no dyed fish for sale
-Tankbusters like arowanas, oscars, etc. clearly marked as such. Fish like red tailed sharks shouldn't even be sold
-Tanks with sick fish should be clearly marked 'not for sale'.

-A marking system what fish are suitable for a community tank, which are OK to be kept with selected tankmates and which have to be kept on their own.

Anything else you want to see in a good LFS?
Personally I would like to see parrot cichlids and Flowerhorns banned but that might be taking it too far.

Just food for thought if we ever going to get this all Ireland fishkeepers organisation off the ground and want to distribute a charter among all LFSs.

Holger
The topic has been locked.
  • Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 00:37 - 21 Dec 2007 00:38 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Sponsors and minimum standards
I agree with most of what you say Holger.
I think Oscars are fine because a lot of people have large tanks. Arowanas and Red tailed Cats should not be sold. You would need a river in your back garden to keep them.
Even Pangasius cats get huge, some up to 1m in length.

Did you mean Red tailed Sharks or Cats. I think you made a mistake.

I think we should be strong as a federation and show some balls. We should be against monstrocities
like Parrot fish/Flowerhorns and dyed fish. There is no point in doing it by half.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2007 00:38 by Anthony (Anthony).
More
21 Dec 2007 00:57 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Agreed here too.
The only thing is,and I dont like them either,but telling people they cant keep the parrots/flowerhorns,etc,is maybe getting a bit too big brother like?I don't include dyed fish in this,they should be banned.
Look at dogs,how many purebreds do you see?Not that I want to start that debate.
Fish keeping is entirely a personal choice,and folk keep what interests them,and furnish their tanks in a style they like.There is no way we will all agree with each others choices,some like plastic and artificial decorations,others detest them,it is a personal choice,and we should respect that.

The marking system for compatible species is a good idea.For example a simple coloured spot on the label of the fish,eg green spots can be kept in the same tank,as can yelllow,orange,etc.Red should be reserved for species requiring a species tank.One thing I hate in an LFS in fish that are not labelled,a common practice.

Hopefully we can agree on,and implement a system here.Input is needed from both the keeper and the LFS.
I believe we are enjoying a growth in the hobby,and an improving relationship between keppers and LFS's,and we should build on this,it is to everyones benefit.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!
More
21 Dec 2007 01:18 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
That all looks like good sense. I don't know anything much about flowerhorns and parrots, apart from not liking them, what is the story with them, what's the difference between them and guppies which have been created though generations of selected breeding . inbreeding and God knows what else. How do you draw the line? At least with dyed fish it is clear they have been physically altered by man and no amount of breeding is going to create a patch of dye or a tattoo.
More
21 Dec 2007 01:27 #5 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Thats sort of what I was getting at,looks like we'd have to get rid of a lot of varieties of discus,angelfish,goldfish,betta,platys,mollys,swordtails,guppys,etc,etc,etc.
Okay,some may just be colour strains,but,as Daragh says,where do we draw the line?

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!
  • Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 01:47 - 24 Dec 2007 19:34 #6 by Anthony (Anthony)

Guppies being in bred has nothing to do with Parrot fish.
Apart from being deformed, Parrot fish are actually handicapped fish. I don`t mean to offend anyone by using the term If I do I am totally sorry. We cannot compare fish to human life so please don`t start a nasty debate on this.
What I mean is they have trouble swimming. The have all sort of health problems. They have curved spines which put pressure on there internal organs. Most of the poor fewkers have been killed during the dying process. Even eating is a problem for them.

Ask [shop] owners to refuse to sell them, if the continue to sell Parrot fish then we should state that the
Irish federation of Aquatic societies refuses to endorse their shop.

I actually love Flowerhorns but I would not keep them as a matter of principal and I think they should
also be banned. Whats wrong with keeping Trimacs. I kept them and they are a super fish.
Way more colourful and natural than the hybrid Flowerhorns.

The Federation needs someone with Balls/tact and a cool head to run it. (That rules me out, lol)

There has to be serious taught put in to it. I want to see the clubs brought much closer next year.

One of my main reason for resigning is the Fish shows. I really want these to be a success.
I want to devout a lot of time and energy into these projects. I could not do both the shows and
he forum at the same time. Too much for my small cranial capacity to take in.
Maybe after all the organising is done I will return as an Admin,(if yous will have me that is)

Enjoying my retirement too much..LOL

I have a house to do up plus a fish house to build. Could not devout the time that I want to to the forum
during the next 2 months.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2007 19:34 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 09:32 - 24 Dec 2007 19:35 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Sponsors and minimum standards
yes Anto, I meant red-tailed cats. Flowerhorns and parrots are hybrids, Guppies, no matter how fancy, are not.
Acara's argument by comparing them to pure bred dogs is comparing two different things. The correct comparison would be to compare a pure bred dog with a fancy guppy. Bred from one species and not by mixing two or more.
I don't want to go into a long winded discussion into Flowerhorns but let me put it this way in brief. There are so many species in what used to be the Cichlasoma genus, many of them quite closely related. Dedicated fishkeepers try their utmost to not to cross breed. Flowerhorns could be mistaken for a new species but they are only hybrids. Furthermore people in for the quick buck could just start to hybridize unscrupulously and the whole taxonomity is in danger of going down the toilet. End of rant.

As we all know Flowerhorns are on offer by at least one of the forum sponsors. They are sold as such and not a new species. However, somebody less responsible (I'm trying to be PC here) could try to flog them off as a new species. It's not good for the hobby and I for one would feel cheated if I bought these físh thinking they are a new species. You can accuse me of taking the moral high ground here and you are probably right but I'm making no excuses for it.

Any of the killifish enthusiasts are just short of a cardiac arrest when to geographical strains of the same species are mixed, never mind to different species hybridized. I think we can count on their support against hybrids.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2007 19:35 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).
More
21 Dec 2007 09:59 #8 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I'm in agreement with most of what is being said here.

You cannot compare strains of Guppy, Angelfish etc to Flowerhorns & Parrotfish.

To get this thing up and running would be a mammoth task. I would be happy to volunteer to help in any shape or form.

I also think we need to educate the fishkeepers out there, I'm talking about joe public that has a tank that they stock with all sorts of everything, never change the water, clean the filter with tap water etc etc (I know a few of them).

A selection of small sheets available at shop counters maybe.

1. How to cycle a tank.
2. Tank Maintenance/Filter Maintenance.
3. Disease Identification & Treatment.
4. Fish Compatability.
5. Common Mistakes, Do's and Dont's.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 10:51 - 21 Dec 2007 11:08 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Sponsors and minimum standards
@Peter,
any help appreciated. Good idea with the information sheets. I know of at least one LFS that already does this for setting up a tank and also has the traffic light system of compatibilty as suggested by Acara.

This is a bit of a hot iron but I might as well throw it in. Those long finned abominations of angels, corys, tetras and I have even seen plecs the other day. These fish can hardly swim. I don't mind guppies or bettas. These fish can swim and dislplay their natural behaviour but some of the long finned angels I have seen can barely swim straight. Anybody with me that they should not be sold or am I psuhing it too far?

Just saw pictures of long finned Oscars and Discus. Who in their right mind would want to keep these fish. The South East Asian breeders have a lot to answer for. I could rant on about them here for hours but let's just quick look what they have brought on the market. Parrot cichlids, Flowerhorns, long finned fishthat can barely swim, dyed fish. Is it just me or is there a trend here? Never mind for being responsible of selling fish that have been bred in a soup of antibiotics and that will not survive in a 'normal tank'.

Ok, that might be the next campaign, stamping out bad quality fish....
Last edit: 21 Dec 2007 11:08 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus).
  • Googlediscy (Googlediscy)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 13:07 - 24 Dec 2007 19:36 #10 by Googlediscy (Googlediscy)
Replied by Googlediscy (Googlediscy) on topic Re:Sponsors and minimum standards
Freshwater is only one side of the story, what about the standards of salt water, to often one sees fish and inverts kept in the same holding tank, the fish have white spot, you come back one week latter and the fish is thinner and more white spots,, then you come in 2 weeks latter and you ask where the fish is and they say its been sold.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How possible can so many LFS get away with that? why can they not keep the fish separate with meds?
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2007 19:36 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 13:57 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
That is pretty much what I meant when I said that tanks with sick fish should be marked 'not for sale'

Any other issues from saltwater fishkeepers?
I am only stating the case for freshwater but you are dead right when you said that we forgot about the marine side of things. Thanks for pointing it out
  • Googlediscy (Googlediscy)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 14:06 #12 by Googlediscy (Googlediscy)
Replied by Googlediscy (Googlediscy) on topic Re:Sponsors and minimum standards
apistodiscus wrote:

@Peter,
Just saw pictures of long finned Oscars and Discus. Who in their right mind would want to keep these fish. ....

Whats wrong with long finned Discus, I have a pair, and would gladly post the photos with pride, if any one is interested, if a girl has long hair she look better, if he dyes her face (more commonly know as putting make up make up, well there nothing wrong with that to, each for their own, or are you only endorsing things colour/tails that only occur in nature?
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 14:32 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I think we should avoid comparisons with humans. And as I stated some people might think I am asking too much.

BTW, did your discus ever breed? And if yes do they still have their maternal instincts? I am just interested on a personal level, if they were able to breed the long finned strain into them without raising them artificially
More
21 Dec 2007 15:19 #14 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Googlediscy wrote:

if he dyes her face (more commonly know as putting make up make up, well there nothing wrong with that to

Comparing this to humans is madness. What are you getting at here? Are you saying it is ok to dye fish? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

I can't say that I would be personally against long-finned variety of fish, but if it causes problems to the well being of the fish thats another story.

Oh, and by the way welcome to the forum (Googlediscy).

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Dec 2007 15:40 - 21 Dec 2007 17:12 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Anybody putting make-up on has the choice to do and doesn't get hauled out of their natural environment and gets a needle stuck under their skin and also has no risk of being killed in the process.

Oh yeah, another thing that gets under my skin on a regular basis, are plants sold as aquatic plants when they are not
Last edit: 21 Dec 2007 17:12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus).
More
21 Dec 2007 20:09 - 24 Dec 2007 19:40 #16 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
However it seems these fish [parrots and flowerhorns] are hybrids and that's the difference ???, so can I take from that, it is hybrids in general that should not be stocked and not just Parrots and Flowerhorns?

Are all parrots and flowerhorns dyed? Because if they are they would be covered under \"No Dyed Fish\" rule, instead of having to be specific to \"Hybrids\", which not everyone may be aquainted with.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2007 19:40 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).
More
21 Dec 2007 22:15 #17 by steven (steven)
A few years ago when i first kept Tropicals i bought a parrot fish, i was inexperienced and if i know now what i knew then i wouldn't of purchased it. Its devastating as a fish lover to watch this poor fish trying to feed and as they get bigger they seem almost swollen like they are going to explode, the poor thing couldn't close its mouth, eat food correctly, swim proper and it just looked a mess. I also noticed scarring on its body from a very small size and when it grew much larger the scars were sick looking i assume it was a dyed fish, it was orange and as it grew it had yellow marks very similar to the gold severum, anyways i would steer well clear of them as its very cruel what they are put through if indeed they are dyed.

Whoever or what ever created this hybird should have his balls chopped off and be put on display and see how he likes it.... :pinch:

Please support the no to dyed fish campaign as its downright cruel and upsetting to think what they go through.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??
More
22 Dec 2007 11:45 #18 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I have to agree we need to stop dyed fish and any and all G M fish when it comes to hybrid we would need a defined set of rules there are a lot of hybrids in the shops and there are plenty of cases of wild caught to, they are suitable for the environment they live in.

Personally I do not like parrots but i also will never have a Discus in my tank because.......(PC rule)

we all have our opinions on what fish we like and do our best not to disrespect others opinions or force feed ours on to them.

so we need rules to define the type of dyed, tattooed or hybrid that is not acceptable and i have to say on line is really not the place to do it. there are others out side the site and clubs that should be involved in this and if we go about in proper manner they will be left with no choice but to follow our lead.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods
  • Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2007 12:57 - 24 Dec 2007 19:42 #19 by Anthony (Anthony)
[Regarding dyed fish]

Would you go in for a Tattoo if you knew there was a 90% chance
you would die during the process? I don`t think so.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2007 19:42 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).
More
22 Dec 2007 22:12 #20 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
this is getting out of hand and a positive contribution could be lost. so how about the site or one of the clubs hosting a conference were all concerned(individuals, clubs, *spca/s, sponsors, retailers and government etc) can sit down and do something. Action speak loader than words considering this is some thing that will benefit all.

this is a start the import of any illegal or any mistreated species should be frond on. it will only be a short time till we have GM fish coming on weekly bases and not alone would it be illegal it would be damaging to the hobby not to mention the risks involved to native species and ourselves!

More
22 Dec 2007 22:33 - 24 Dec 2007 20:31 #21 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
... to be honest this site is the public. and only one of thousands around the world against this type and call it what it is cruelty! and if the people really want these type of fish why are they so afraid to admit what they are there is already hundreds of shops in the UK which have signed up not to sell or handle these specims and why are they able to stay in business if these types of fish are such a vital part of the trade.

Last edit: 24 Dec 2007 20:31 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).
More
23 Dec 2007 03:14 #22 by Cillian (Cillian Murphy)
I see this site as a place to exchange information on fish to help each other, this sort of discussion is very discouraging for both new and current members. Im not trying to offend anyone or anything like that but this is my perspective as an outsider who doesnt really know anyone from the site can everyone try and avoid this kind of thing in the future as it is not good for the hobby or the site. I know died fish and hibrids are a touchy subject but in the end of the day everyone is entiteld to an opinion, as is every shop, so by all means make a standard for shops as guideline but nothing should be forced on any shop or any individual, and i know it was never intended to be forced on anyone . I also think that infirmation regarding the process undertaken in dying/GM fish should be given on the site so people can form there own oppinion.
So for the good of the site clubs and hobby please try.
Cillian
  • Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Dec 2007 14:01 - 24 Dec 2007 20:34 #23 by Anthony (Anthony)
... The forum is here to make people aware of things like dyed and mutated fish.

A lot of people don`t know anything about them, its up to us to inform and educate these people in a mild mannered way.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2007 20:34 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).
More
23 Dec 2007 17:09 - 25 Dec 2007 00:58 #24 by JohnH (John)
Cillian wrote:

I see this site as a place to exchange information on fish to help each other, this sort of discussion is very discouraging for both new and current members. Im not trying to offend anyone or anything like that but this is my perspective as an outsider who doesnt really know anyone from the site can everyone try and avoid this kind of thing in the future as it is not good for the hobby or the site. I know died fish and hibrids are a touchy subject but in the end of the day everyone is entiteld to an opinion, as is every shop, so by all means make a standard for shops as guideline but nothing should be forced on any shop or any individual, and i know it was never intended to be forced on anyone . I also think that infirmation regarding the process undertaken in dying/GM fish should be given on the site so people can form there own oppinion.
So for the good of the site clubs and hobby please try.
Cillian

· Cillian…well done !!! Wise words indeed from one so young…

I almost wholeheartedly agree with your comments.

What is needed is a dispassionate view of the whole situation regarding dyed fish – as well as hybrids. For what it’s worth here is my five cents’ worth, then I’ll return to ‘lurking’ again.

I loathe dyed fish, let me make this plain from the start, but it’s my choice not to keep any (“CHOICE”) being the operative word – every bit as much as it is the choice of someone else to buy and (try to) keep them…that they should never have been created in the first place is absolutely accurate, but sadly they have and we now have to face up to that fact. To insist that shops not stock them and forum members (existing and potential newcomers) only be allowed to join/retain membership if they do not keep them is morally wrong. Likewise with the Parrotfish – the abominations, not the true Parrot Cichlids – I have the same feelings entirely about them, but would defend the right of anyone who chooses to (try to) (again !!!) keep them, I cannot comment on Flowerhorns, never having seen one.

Other dyed forms of fish are more subtle, colour-fed dyed, are these acceptable as the dye is taken in intravenously? – I can recall Fr Jack telling us of dying Discus for showing purposes, my guess is that this goes on much more than is realised, not only with Discus – I’m very suspicious of the ‘Red’ Angels, as well as the proliferation of Gourami species…especially the Dwarfs – some of them are diabolical.

That brings us onto other Hybrids, where is the line to be drawn here? I recall reading (when they interested me, in a different time now…) a Discus book which stated that some of the ‘new’ varieties of Discus were hybrids between Aequafascia and Heckels and I am reliably informed that many of the more colourful Aulonacaras and Haps were developed as a result of hybridisation – if this is the case my fear is that there’s a lot more we know nothing about !!!

Then we are offered things like ‘Balloon Mollies’ they also make me cringe even to think about them but, at the end of the day, someone obviously likes all these fish, if no-one like them the shops would have no market for them and they would die the death they, and all the other abominations deserve…but to start telling people what they must and must not buy – as well as shops what they may and may not sell to be acceptable to the Forum smacks a little of dictatorship. When I first joined this Forum it was a happy-go-lucky one, as well as being a serious Fishkeeping Forum, as good as any – and better than most I had been part of before, or since.

PLEASE…let’s get back to that, the ‘pocket politics’, along with the backbiting and innuendo have no place here, I’m sure you would all agree?

The Forum needs sponsors…and new members, let’s not alienate any by telling either what they may or may not stock/keep !!!

Right, back to anonymity…Happy Christmas to you all, I hope to see many of you at the show(s) next year.

John
Ps, sorry for spelling mistakes, there are a few I’ve noticed, but it is Christmas…

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 25 Dec 2007 00:58 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).
  • S180de (S180de)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Dec 2007 17:16 #25 by S180de (S180de)
Replied by S180de (S180de) on topic Re:Sponsors and minimum standards
however ridiculous the \"Googlediscus affair\" is, it shows one thing very clearly: this forum/the ITFS seems to be important enough to affect business significantly. why otherwise would someone bother posting. many of this forum's users are very experienced fish keepers, leave a lot of money in LFSs, and also give a lot of advice outside of this forum. so, think positive is all I can say.

about the LFS minimum standards: I think it is a very good idea. however, as we all can see the discussion becomes difficult when it goes into specialists' territory and personal taste. what needs to be defined first is a list of the very basic requirements a good LFS needs to fulfill. this needs to be signed off/agreed by the society assembly/leaders (whatever the structure is... I'm not even a member). as little as this may seem (leaving hybrids etc aside), if all LFSs would stick to this a lot would have been achieved already. the situation in the LFSs need to be officially reviewed lets say once a year. over the years additional rules/standards may be added, too. also, it may be a good idea to invite LFS owners to a meeting to actually understand what can reasonably been done and achieved. I guess most owners generally would have an interest in some kind of \"certified quality\". also one needs to keep in mind that many owners will know far less about fish than most of the exeprienced hobbyists on this forum - an initmidating/agressive atmosphere towards them right from the start will yield nothing. shops awarded the certificate should be presented with a little profile as well, not sure how much and where PR can be done apart from this site.
More
23 Dec 2007 18:11 #26 by steven (steven)
Anthony wrote:

If anyone wants to keep dyed fish then thats their problem. They are not fish keepers so don`t belong
on the forume here or in any of the clubs. I would expel any member from the LFKS if they kept dyed fish. The forum is here to make people aware of things like dyed and mutated fish.
A lot of people don`t know anything about them, its up to us to inform and educate these people in
a mild mannered way.

Anto i'm with you on this one i detest dyed fish and think highly of the LFS who decide not to stock them. But it is extreme to expel a member just because we don't like them. Everyone to there own, but if they choose to keep dyed fish or hybirds thats there God given choice and i don't think there is anything really we can do about it, other than encourage our sponsors not to stock them, if you cut the supply and retailing there will be no demand.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Dec 2007 02:35 #27 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:Sponsors and minimum standards
I don't know where this quote came from but no member would be expelled from the LFKS for keeping dyed fish.We would explain the situation and current climate and feelings on dyed fish and hope this would be enough to change that particular fishkeepers mind.If not we the LFKS have to respect that.We will still advocate a non dyed fish policy.

Please bear in mind that we the LFKS do not have standards for fishkeeping and make huge efforts to welcome all newcomers and fishkeepers of all grades,no matter what they keep.The LFKS does support an all out action against dyed fish but this begins by educating keepers and shops.

I too will resign from the LFKS if this nonsense is suggested again.I am going to grab this situation and state clearly what has to be done:

• Someone go and write/copy a description of the dying process

• I can post it up as long as the other Admins agree it is ok

• Refer newcomers to this when they join the forum,also current members too!

• All we can do is spread the word and hope it catches on.I will go and collect some pictures to show how devastating this act is on fish.
    • Anthony (Anthony)
    • Visitor
    • Visitor
    24 Dec 2007 02:59 #28 by Anthony (Anthony)
    No one in the club keeps dyed fish. If someone wanted to join
    and insisted their dyed fish were ok then their membership
    would not be welcome.
    There will be a charter drawn up for members of the LFKS contain rules and codes of ethics.
    More
    24 Dec 2007 10:51 #29 by steven (steven)
    ChrisM wrote:

.The LFKS does support an all out action against dyed fish but this begins by educating keepers and shops.

Well said Chris all it takes is a bit of education to the newcomers and probably some LFS and anybody who decides to purchase a dyed fish after that probably needs there head examined or just don't give a monkey's about the hobby.

More
    24 Dec 2007 15:56 - 24 Dec 2007 16:05 #30 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
    people i would suggest rather than acting like big brother we give examples of these fish plus name and shame the exporters who export these fish to Ireland and i will give you one example i found with a quick goggle

www.asiatropicalfish.com/index.asp

I would suggest we have a section (fish to avoid)were people can browse read about and view examples of these poor badly mistreated souls when people see them they than can id these fish and can avoid buying them when demand dies the cruelty will die with it ignorance is bliss lets destroy the ignorance with out destroying the hobby

like how can we have rules that say you can't have this or that. if some one else unknowingly buys them for you. are we going to refuse a present from a child or your elderly grand parents? or do we except them with the sentiment they are given.

the only real option is education. And every one of us has made mistakes because we did not know something at the time

Last edit: 24 Dec 2007 16:05 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods). Reason: change links
    Time to create page: 0.085 seconds