Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new tank build.................and so it begins!!

More
10 Mar 2012 16:27 #1 by Rummy (Stephen)
Hi all

New tank build started thought i would put a few pics up of where i am...................
If any one can help with ideas on where to get cheap or free rocks let me know and also looking to source cheap chip board with a mahogany laminate to build a cabinet out off.
So any ideas let me know.

cheers..............

2012-03-08 10.17.16.jpg

2012-03-08 12.52.00.jpg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2012 16:35 - 10 Mar 2012 16:37 #2 by Rummy (Stephen)
Last edit: 10 Mar 2012 16:37 by Rummy (Stephen).

More
10 Mar 2012 16:36 - 10 Mar 2012 18:34 #3 by Rummy (Stephen)
having problems uploading photos at the min i will try again later :crazy: :crazy:

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Mar 2012 18:34 by Rummy (Stephen).

More
10 Mar 2012 18:49 #4 by Rummy (Stephen)
Attachments:

More
10 Mar 2012 18:55 #5 by davejcollins (David Collins)
Rocks from the beach or river are usually ok assuming you keep freshwater- post photos once you get them and you will get good advice here.
What are the dimensions of the tank? Looks great , what are the stocking plans ?

More
10 Mar 2012 20:08 #6 by johnportman (John Clarke)
The frame is comin on great Stephen,
Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

John

More
10 Mar 2012 20:22 #7 by Rummy (Stephen)
Thanks Dave,

The tank is 200 X 60 X 70 cm, planning on stocking big Malawi's at the min, but also looking a bit into a Tanganyika cichlid set up, still have my thinking cap on.

Thanks John,

I will post more pics as soon as i get to the next stage, thanks again for the sand mate.

Stephen

More
10 Mar 2012 20:27 #8 by ger310 (Ger .)
The best of luck with this Stephen,and fair play building your own tank.....i think someone suggested on here a while back to go to places that make grave stones and the like as they always have lots of cut offs to get rid off so have a float around.......Keep the pics coming!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
10 Mar 2012 20:54 #9 by johnportman (John Clarke)
No prob mate.
We're all here to help each other.
A few lads helped me get my Malawi tank together.

John

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2012 21:05 #10 by Alex (Alex)
Nice one! Cant wait to see the finished result!!

More
10 Mar 2012 21:15 #11 by Rummy (Stephen)
Thanks Alex either can I :crazy:

That's it John if you ever need a favour I owe you one mate.

Stephen

More
10 Mar 2012 21:29 #12 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
That looks great, fair play for building your own!

Very nice and "clean" looking tank, looking forward to see more.

Melander

More
10 Mar 2012 21:33 #13 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
fair play mate looks very well

where u based

if ya need a dig out at all let me know and ill pop up and give u a hand i know hoe it feels settin up a big tank

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
10 Mar 2012 22:55 #14 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Stand looks good Rummy. Where are you based? only ask as I know a few great places for rockwork.

More
10 Mar 2012 23:11 - 11 Mar 2012 01:13 #15 by Rummy (Stephen)
Thanks sean mate going ok at the min but could take you up on the offer cheers

Based in Laois Bill Mountmellick, if you knew anywhere for rockwork mate it would be much appreciated don't want to spend major money on them. i was up in a head stone mason and he had off cuts of polished granite but it looked way to shiny but maybe if i took a hammer to it ha
Last edit: 11 Mar 2012 01:13 by Rummy (Stephen).

More
11 Mar 2012 12:33 #16 by minnion (jimmy white)
nice one mate looking good at the moment if your going tanganyikan ill sort you out with some brichardi
let me know

More
11 Mar 2012 18:17 #17 by Rummy (Stephen)
Cheers mate, I will keep that in mind i will drop them few Acei over to you as well as soon as they get big enough.

Thanks again,
Stephen

More
11 Mar 2012 22:24 #18 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi Stephen,

The stand is looking great, that looks like 50x50 if not 60x60 angle which is plenty strong enough.But when that tank is full of water and decor there will be alot of weight on it. If i were you i would add some diagonal braces or even some small gussets, to stop any twisting of the frame when its under pressure.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
11 Mar 2012 22:43 #19 by Rummy (Stephen)
Hi Stuart its 60x60 angle a friend of mine added it up and assures me it will well hold the weight, i added up when filled it will weigh around just over a tonne but now you have me thinking :crazy: does any1 have any input on this and has anyone ever made frame from 60x60 angle before?

regards
stephen

More
11 Mar 2012 22:45 #20 by minnion (jimmy white)
cheers pal the others are doing well hows the dolphins doin

More
11 Mar 2012 22:52 #21 by Rummy (Stephen)
there doing great man really active and are growing really well the few acei i have here for you are from a different mother so if you come to breed them it mite work out better for you

More
11 Mar 2012 23:00 #22 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
send mossy a pm he will point u in the right direction about the stand

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
11 Mar 2012 23:04 #23 by Rummy (Stephen)

More
11 Mar 2012 23:12 #24 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Hi stephen,

I'm a welder fabricator so make stuff like this almost every day.The 60x60 would be fine to hold a tonne of force directed straight down.But the slightest force forward , back or side to side and the whole thing could fold so just to be safe i'd put some gussets in at least. Some 3mm plate cut 4inch squares and then half them diagonally . Weld these into the corners on the back and sides and you will never have a problem.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
11 Mar 2012 23:17 #25 by Rummy (Stephen)
cool mate i will have to see can i get a lend of a welder again :crazy:

cheers

More
12 Mar 2012 01:17 #26 by ger310 (Ger .)
i was up in a head stone mason and he had off cuts of polished granite but it looked way to shiny but maybe if i took a hammer to it ha[/quote]....

I knew i seen a post on here a while back,didn't realise it was on one of your threads though...all the best man!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
13 Mar 2012 00:07 #27 by Rolly (Ruaidri Hegarty)
Looking fantastic Stephen! Are your sheeting the stand or leaving it as is? Cause if your sheeting it I wouldnt think you'd need to go looking for the welder again! Whatever ya sheet it with would act as gussets I'd think. Would that be right Stuart?

Rolly

More
13 Mar 2012 00:23 #28 by minnion (jimmy white)
sounds cool cheers any luck with rock

More
13 Mar 2012 00:52 #29 by Rummy (Stephen)
Cheers Rolly, im building a cabinet around the whole tank so it should look well................i hope :crazy:

No man still no luck on the rock hoping someone here will be selling a bit or can put me in the right direction on where to get some cheap enough i think i will be needing quite a bit...................

Stephen

More
13 Mar 2012 08:47 #30 by jwm (sean sean)
If its too much trouble to get the welder drill and bolt on the supports. Dome bolts wont protude so the sheeting will be ok over it

cool mate i will have to see can i get a lend of a welder again :crazy:

cheers

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds