Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My 450 ltr project

More
19 May 2015 13:51 #1 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Now that i have the tank that I bought from Paulv. I will include some photo's as this project progresses
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2015 13:52 #2 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
more pics
Attachments:

More
19 May 2015 14:02 #3 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Looking good some work ahead for you now :-)

More
19 May 2015 14:03 #4 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
tank finally in the house but not in its final position need to clean it and fix the lights also need to build a 3D background and side, as the left hand side of the tank will be in full view of midday sun will need to screen it off
Attachments:

More
19 May 2015 14:05 #5 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
anyone know anywhere I can get my hands on aquarium safe liquid resin to make 3D background ??

More
19 May 2015 14:08 #6 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Cheers Ceech

More
19 May 2015 14:20 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Nice looking tank.
The Epoxy Coating Resin is dangerous for the aquatic environment uncured. I recommend you leave it at least a couple of weeks to cure, preferably getting some warmth onto it to cook it off.
www.easycomposites.co.uk/products/epoxy-...y-coating-resin.aspx

More
19 May 2015 14:41 #8 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Thanks for the tip Ceech
is this specific brand to use or are all resins the same just need plenty of time to cure ?

More
19 May 2015 19:35 #9 by carlowchris (chris)
Looking good aido..was looking at that tank for the last two weeks...very surpized it took so long to sell....but looks really good now And all the fun starts now too.....loads of guys on here with diy threads of 3d backgrounds...it shouldn't be too hard to get what ya need.

More
19 May 2015 21:13 #10 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
cleaned the tanks inside and stripped down the light fixtures both ballast are full of moisture so will need to replace them both to be safe, i know some people will say just get LEDs to replace them but being the OCD that I am it would bother me that they didn't work.... anyway wouldn't be happy if i wasn't pulling things apart see images below

More
24 May 2015 09:52 #11 by paulv (paul vickers)
Great set of pics. Just cleaned up the tank looks good. Best of luck getting the lights working, they look good once working. You can use 2 different light types as each unit has independent switch.

More
25 May 2015 09:54 #12 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Have both sets of light working now, have blue bulbs in 1 set and a purple and daylight in second set. Have a few sheets of foam to make the background for the tank just need to decide what to create.

More
25 May 2015 10:37 #13 by paulv (paul vickers)
It's worth your time checking out YouTube, there are many good videos on making background. Keep up the pictures as you progress.

More
26 May 2015 18:04 #14 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Did you change the ballasts ?

More
26 May 2015 19:05 #15 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Yes I changed both ballasts cost 25 euro each at electrical wholesaler

More
27 May 2015 22:27 #16 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Hi sorry for the late reply yes i have seen this type used by a friend. But i have honestly never used it myself. I would always be cautious when putting things like this in a tank i would check youtube out as suggested for some tips and maybe even products you could use.

More
31 May 2015 18:03 #17 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Have started my 3D background at long last , It's taking more work than i expected but hopefully it will be worth it. here's the progress so far
Attachments:

More
31 May 2015 18:04 #18 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
these are the general layout of the blocks
Attachments:

More
31 May 2015 18:05 #19 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
and ,more
Attachments:

More
31 May 2015 18:07 #20 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
these are the block after been given the blow torch treatment, Word of warning do this outside as the blocks produce large amount of toxic fumes, As i found out and triggered all the smoke alarms in the house
Attachments:

More
31 May 2015 18:09 #21 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
first fitting in tank it is in three sections as it need to get past cross members on top of tanks
Attachments:

More
31 May 2015 18:09 #22 by paulv (paul vickers)
Even the longest journey starts with a single step. You've made that step. Look forward to following your journey.

More
31 May 2015 18:12 #23 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
i may have over did it with the expanding foam was trying to make a tree root for the center, i think i was trying to be a little too clever,
Attachments:

More
31 May 2015 18:14 #24 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
have pared down the roots a little not looking as bad the main boyy of the tree trunk needs to dry more before i can pare it down to shape it may not be a complete disaster after all
Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2015 15:50 #25 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
starting to look more like a tree trunk now
Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2015 15:51 #26 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
split in 3 sections to fit through top of tank
Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2015 16:14 #27 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Holy crap, that it excellent! :cool:
You're really puttiing some effort into this.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
01 Jun 2015 16:17 #28 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
i can be a bit OCD on such things. will be another week before its finished though

More
01 Jun 2015 16:27 #29 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

i can be a bit OCD on such things. will be another week before its finished though

I think being OCD about this stuff can be a virtue, There's no harm in being careful, not f*@&ing it up and getting the result you want.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
01 Jun 2015 16:41 #30 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
too true just need to get this finished have the tank 3 weeks now need to get it setup soon

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds