Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Mixing Species and Care

• russell (russell)
  • russell (russell)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2008 15:52 - 11 Jan 2008 18:05 #1 by russell (russell)
Mixing Species and Care was created by russell (russell)
A few bit's of advice.
Never mix Wild Discus with domestic!! By that I mean True wilds, those that have been directly imported from the source. The reason being that if you take say a domestic cat and introduce a ferrel or wild cat you will have problems, same as wild & domestic horses. they each have there owm built in imune system. A wild Discus is more resistent to Disease than a Domestic discus. they have to be, to be able to survive the conditions they live in. They will be hardier. this may not be true in other fish species but in Discus it is a fact, stick with Wild or Domestic but don't mix the two. In the wild they have to cope with high & low temperatures from well below the 80's to as high as 100 at times. the ph can vary from 7 to as low as 3 in some places. but in the Aquarium set up we should try to keep all things constant and stable, I settle for A Ph of 6.5 TDS of 160 temp at 80. The only time I need to change it is for breeding, then the TDS comes down to 33 about 1 degree hardness and the Kh is 1. that is so the eggs will hatch. After that the Hardness is raised to 200 =5 over the first 6 weeks so as to give the young the minerals they need for bone developement.
So settle for the readings you can maintain consistenly and stick with it,
Last edit: 11 Jan 2008 18:05 by (). Reason: In title - changed "&" to "and"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2008 19:34 - 10 Jan 2008 19:37 #2 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Good post RusselB) , I suppose wild stock of any species have not evoled to swim in waters where the is ammonia or nitrite, but I agree in the wild the temp swing much higher and lower than we think 18C-34C, with very very low exposture of a big mix of infections, as oposed in an enclosed system zero or eperdemic, by the way I see Valarie edit your post you will have to stop swearing:laugh:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!
Last edit: 10 Jan 2008 19:37 by Sean (Fr. Jack). Reason: no before NH3, NO2

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2008 21:02 #3 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Mixing Species and Care
I have never sworn in any post. can you point me to it

More
11 Jan 2008 11:44 #4 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
russell wrote:

I have never sworn in any post. can you point me to it

I cant see any swearing but your post did get edited by Valarie;)

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2008 13:03 #5 by russell (russell)
What I should have said was, it is preferable not to mix wild & domestic stock, unless you have a specific reason, such as trying to improve the strain. It can be a precise and exacting process, not best undertaken by the inexperienced.

• ()
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2008 13:52 #6 by ()
Replied by () on topic Re:Mixing Species and Care
Fr. Jack,

The reason why I edited the post was for the title. Russell had used the \"&\" character and for some reason it comes up funny on the forum.
The only detail I changed on the post was \"&\" to \"and\". :)

Regards

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jan 2008 23:12 #7 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:Mixing Species and Care
That is a bold statement to make Russell. Wild Discus are
easier to keep and more hardy than wilds. Most Discus keepers
will wait years before trying their hand at keepings wilds.
Unlike captive bred Discus they need soft acidic water. They
usually have parasites(depending were you bought them) and they
have to be dewormed.
Some will never feed for you unless you are feeding live food.

I am not going against your experience or knowledge but I think
that post is a dangerous. I can see some poor fool ging out
tomorrow with a pocket full of money with the intend of buying
wild discus.

Finally on wild animals.
Captive/tame animals are more healthy/stronger and less afraid
of humans. You would be more than likely to be attacked by
a Lion in the Zoo than one in the wild if you came into contact
with one. Don`t think I am going on at you but it is you post
I have problems with.If you ever get those Tefe to breed I stil
have first dibs on them.:laugh:
All the best Anthony.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Jan 2008 10:39 #8 by russell (russell)
Hi Anthony.

I guesse it's horses for courses. I have found Wilds quite easy once you have kept Discus for the length of time I have. If anyone would care to browse :Simply Discus: forums, You will find a subject called :From the source: in which we have a Heckle & wild Project, most of the leading Discus breeders (among which is Heiko Blair) and many others World wide have published much on the debate of (Wilds V's Domestic). I never advocated anyone to turn to Wilds unless they have had, \"many years experience of keeping of Discus\". and to look into the outlay of cost before even considering it.
It is O.M.O and an insight into wild, as for Disease they are no different than any other species, in fact considering what they have to cope with in there natural enviroment they are indeed hardier. as for feeding No problems there.
If you like I will post a Library inclusion, but in the past they have tended to get deleted after a few months,
As always Think before you venture into a new Challenge.
Regards
Russ

More
14 Jan 2008 13:03 #9 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I suppose the have evolved in the wild to be naturally immune to a \"variety\" off low level of diseases found in the natural haunts of the amazon brooks, how ever them have not evolved to take the same water conditions of an enclosed environment, the off spring of F2, F3 through natural selection start to take on this effect..

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Jan 2008 17:57 #10 by russell (russell)
Hi Sean
Agree up to a point, but the question was wilds, by that I mean F' from the source. although it is nearly impossible to creat a True amazon biotope you can get close.I know many watched the program the Abbyse, focusing on the amazon fish species, and you will have seen the diversity of water conditions,f rom cleat water ( white) to the black water. and would have noticed the water quality from silt to downright filthy. with silt- debr,& Mulm yet they survive and spawn. their imune sytstem has evolved to combat many diseases and have become hardy and healthier as a result.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Jan 2008 18:07 #11 by russell (russell)
Anthony wrote:

That is a bold statement to make Russell. Wild Discus are
easier to keep and more hardy than wilds. Most Discus keepers
will wait years before trying their hand at keepings wilds.
Unlike captive bred Discus they need soft acidic water. They
usually have parasites(depending were you bought them) and they
have to be dewormed.
Some will never feed for you unless you are feeding live food.

I am not going against your experience or knowledge but I think
that post is a dangerous. I can see some poor fool ging out
tomorrow with a pocket full of money with the intend of buying
wild discus.

Finally on wild animals.
Captive/tame animals are more healthy/stronger and less afraid
of humans. You would be more than likely to be attacked by
a Lion in the Zoo than one in the wild if you came into contact
with one. Don`t think I am going on at you but it is you post
I have problems with.If you ever get those Tefe to breed I stil
have first dibs on them.:laugh:
All the best Anthony.

Anthony,
Discus can take a Ph of 8 and as low as 3. I am sure Sean will back me up on this,
Any WILD fish is likely to have Worms and other infections so I don't see the relevance,
It is the knowlengable importer that knows his exporter that will give you GOOD stock.
As for feeding where is the problem!!! never known one.
As for lions I keep my distance.

More
14 Jan 2008 20:30 #12 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
@ Russel

Anthony,
Discus can take a Ph of 8 and as low as 3. I am sure Sean will back me up on this,
Any WILD fish is likely to have Worms and other infections so I don't see the relevance,
It is the knowlengable importer that knows his exporter that will give you GOOD stock.
As for feeding where is the problem!!! never known one.
As for lions I keep my distance.[/quote]

Sorry Russel,
apart from the fish are likely to have worms:) the rest I doubt, I only kept discus for a few years in the 80´s so I am no expert, I kept them at 5.8pH at that very low pH the bacteria in the filter struggles to work, (bacteria that break down NH3 and NO2 dont like light or acid water i.e more acid water than 5.9pH) hence zeolite and water changes, which probally planted the seeds in mind for my to get out of discus even through they are a very nice looking fish assuming you get really genetically colourful ones. as a brown discus is prime condition is brown and a blue in prime condition is also brown!especially if it came from Glencrap wholesalers in norther Ireland.

To be honest russel in 2033 when I retire I probally would keep discus as there nice if you have loads of spare time, I would probally go for the very finest European stock that are half grown, and are already show spectacular colour, or if Jack Waterey is still alive:laugh: may be I would get them from , him, although I doubt is he was very rude to me in the early 90´s I live in Florida then, arrogance is too kind a word for him.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Jan 2008 23:07 #13 by russell (russell)
Hi Sean
Heckles can live in 3.5 Ph.and almost neat R.O

More
15 Jan 2008 10:32 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
russell wrote:

Hi Sean

I sure they can but can you back it up with a link.3.5pH-8pH, also define \"live\" survive or comfortable in.

• S180de (S180de)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2008 16:34 #15 by S180de (S180de)
Replied by S180de (S180de) on topic Re:Mixing Species and Care
just as a comparison for those readers not too familiar with acidity. for example the pH of Coke is at about 3.5-3.8. Fruit juices such as lime, orange and apple juices are roughly between 3.0-3.5.
I'd love to see the contribution of a particular former user to this topic...

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2008 10:41 #16 by russell (russell)
Hi.
If you go to Simply Discus site which is the worldwide Discus Site and look under ther lowest Ph Topic you will find Heckles have been caught in Ph of 3.5 to 3.8 Poted by Larry Matincheck Of the Discus University.
End of.

More
18 Jan 2008 23:00 #17 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
[img] Hi Russel, I could not find th link, if you click on this it gets a little bit worring.

www.simplydiscus.com/library/water_chemi...eneral/ph_drop.shtml

I have thought of a possible other reason for the low pH post over a drop of brandy, what if and only if, you are trying to copy Gold finger, he had half the gold bullion in the world, he did not want to steal the rest from fort Knox, but instead plant a nuclear bomb so to reader the gold radio active so it could not be sold, hence tripling the value of his gold. What if you plot is to suggest to Irish discus keepers to drop the pH to 3.5 rendering pan cakes so as to increase the rarity and value of your heckles?:P

More
18 Jan 2008 23:01 #18 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
18 Jan 2008 23:11 #19 by Pauly (Paul Mulvaney)
Whats the story with mixing discus from different sources, two sources in particular(cant remember which) I seem to rememeber it leads to bad health ect.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2008 09:53 #20 by russell (russell)
Hi.
I am not getting drawn into any arguments, Just to say if the thread is read properly I was stating that Wild Discus and I repeat Wild as in the Amazon, that Discus have been found in waters of a Ph of 3.5, This is Typical of Manus where in the stormy season with the Acid rain and high run of from the forrest that the Ph has been known to drop to 2Ph, when this happens they move further of shore to where the Ph is around 3.5 to 3.8,
I also have a friend in the U.K & Americe who keep there Heckles at 3.5 / 3.8.
As for mixing Wilds all I will say that mixing is not recomended for the Inexperienced unless for a specific reason. i.e to improve the strain & colour.
The example being Jack Wately. Axelrod & Schultz. remembering that there were only 4 Discus strains Originaly. Namely the Heckle. Brown, Green & Blue, and from selective breeding & genetics came the Discus you have To day. If you start trying to x / breed without knowing what you are doing you will end up with weaker strains & mutations.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2008 10:05 #21 by russell (russell)
Re Worrying post

It states that any RAPID decrease in Ph is dangerous, I AGREE and any change in Ph should be no more than 0.5 IN 24 HOURS.a nd not undertaken lightly by the inexperienced
The trouble with working with a Ph that is arround the 4.5 mark is keeping it stable, as a Ph this low can readily plummet causing death. I totaly agree!!!!
With Laker Manus & Tefe with Lakes being vast the Ph stays constant. and when the tropical storms arrive lowering the Ph they move further off shore, where the Ph is higher. usauly with Heckles at about the 3.5 to 4.0 mark.

More
19 Jan 2008 11:17 #22 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Hi Russel, like I said your are probally right its unlikely you want to increase the rarity of discus in Ireland , to make your stock tribel in value.:laugh: Goldfinger style.;)

All I am asking from you is to search on line for the text that states that the can live in 2pH-3.8pH, when you arrive at it the website instead of saying www.anydiscus.com will say something like www.any discus/manusph3etcetc5687658 at the top of the screen where the website is the click on that, right click on your mouse, copy that, then come back to the ITFS forum, then post, then click on edit (beside file) and paste then your \"link\" this will be there for every one to see without spending hours searching on line for the same thing.:ohmy:

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2008 16:24 #23 by russell (russell)
I said that The Ph of Lake Manus drops to a Ph of 2 to 3 in the rainy season. not that Discus live in that Ph, but move off shore to a more stable & suitable Ph, aroung the 3.5 - 3.8 FOR HECKLES, Please read the thread fully.

Look under Simplydisdcus.com
General topic
Lowest Ph

Quote:
I've read where Heckels have been caught in blackwater with a pH of 3.8. I've personally kept Heckels at 3.8 pH.

Mat

More to follow

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2008 17:20 #24 by russell (russell)
Fr. Jack ITFS Logo wrote:

Hi Russel, like I said your are probally right its unlikely you want to increase the rarity of discus in Ireland , to make your stock tribel in value.:laugh: Goldfinger style.;)

All I am asking from you is to search on line for the text that states that the can live in 2pH-3.8pH,

A stated I did not say they live in Ph of 2 that is impossible. but they can and do live & spawn in 3.5 And above. many in 3.8

More
20 Jan 2008 17:34 #25 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I have done a little bit of reaserc while I wait for your link to click on that brings me directly to where it says 3.5-3.8pH as if I go into simplydiscus.com I cannot find any quote for 3.5-3.8pH

From what I can see they all seem to talk about heckels can take lower PH than other discus but 5.0-5-5pH seems to be what most talk about.

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070328074804AABcNV2

Attachments:

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jan 2008 10:43 - 21 Jan 2008 11:03 #26 by russell (russell)
Last edit: 21 Jan 2008 11:03 by (). Reason: make the link active on the post

More
21 Jan 2008 13:23 #27 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
russell wrote:

Hi Sean

Russel 6 days ago or to precise on the 15th of Jan you state 3.5pH, but your R&D work was done on an American site on the 01/17/08 (U.S date) or 17/1/08.(Europe date)

01-17-2008, 11:57 AM #1
russell
Registered Member

Lowest Ph

Hi all,
Can any one tell me lowest Ph that is found in the Amazon to support Discus, and in what region.
regards
Russ

russell
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by russell

01-17-2008, 09:38 PM #2
ShinShin
SimplyDiscus University

Re: Lowest Ph

I've read where Heckels have been caught in blackwater with a pH of 3.8. I've personally kept Heckels at 3.8 pH.;)

Mat

\"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie.\" - B.Dylan

ShinShin
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by ShinShin

01-19-2008, 10:29 AM #3
GulfCoastDiscus
SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Re: Lowest Ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinShin
I've read where Heckels have been caught in blackwater with a pH of 3.8. I've personally kept Heckels at 3.8 pH.

Mat

Wow. How do you keep this parameters constant or prevent the ph from crashing?__________________
Dan
www.gulfcoastdiscus.com

No Answer given to date from a Mr. Larry E. IfycheckpH, besided he is one poster, dont beleive half of what is written on the net.:woohoo:

Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2008 23:09 - 21 Jan 2008 23:13 #28 by JohnH (John)
Personally I think it's time now to draw a veil over this...Fr Jack, Fr Goldfinger, Fr Oddjob, Fr James Bond, Fr frozen Clownfish, Fr non-Google, Fr where's the ITFS logo gone, Fr Columbo...or whatever Fr you are tonight, please re-read Russell's very first posting, here he states plainly that in the wild discus can have to contend with temperatures of anything between 80 - 100degrees and in water with pH values of anything between pH7 right down to below pH3 !!! Nowhere does he recommend this though, in fact his recommendation is - even for wild fish - pH 6.5...I fear your mischievous element has taken you just a little too far this time and, I hate to say it, the whole argument has become just a little tedious.

I hope this isn't construed as a personal attack, it's not, I'm really a bit browned off with it (the attacks) and I suspect I'm not the only one?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2008 23:13 by JohnH (John). Reason: Changed p****d off to browned Off

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2008 10:38 #29 by russell (russell)
\"dont beleive half of what is written on the net\". Qoute from Sean!!

I hope that includes your advice.

• ()
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2008 11:06 #30 by ()
Replied by () on topic Re:Mixing Species and Care
OK lads,

I think the subject has now been explored in sufficient depth. :-)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience !

Valerie

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds